Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel heater left on all night

How much fuel do you think you used?

It suprised me, but it's based on my already poor memory so it might have been less, was only quick eyeball too, I'll check the level as it could have been 5 on the temp.

8th of a tank and was on for 13-14hrs

Cheers mate.

I had a search and saw this posted by Calikev some time ago:

It uses 0.25 l per hour on medium and 0.38l per hour on high heat settings

So you used quite a bit more?

Around 2 liters I think.
From my observations it is pretty hard to tell exact consumption due to the Fuel tank arrow doesn't always show the level properly with ignition on.

8th of a tank and was on for 13-14hrs

Really?

I leave mine, programmed to come on for 6-8 hours between 7pm and 9am, level 2, the diesel use is hardly noticeable.

I reckon mines using about a litre an hour on level 7 when used just for a half hour defrost in the morning, thats starting from frozen with nobody in the van.

For camping use, with 3 people sleeping on level 2 that same litre will do about 10 hours.

I would expect it too, not having anybody in the van giving off the heat also makes it worse, on the other hand having the roof down reduces the heat loss as well.

It suprised me, but it's based on my already poor memory so it might have been less, was only quick eyeball too, I'll check the level as it could have been 5 on the temp.
Personally, I don't really know how much it uses but prolonged use of ours doesn't seem to make any noticable difference to the fuel gauge and our Beach has the smaller 70 litre tank!

However, using Calikev's above mentioned figures, fourteen hours on a high setting would have used just over a gallon (5.32 litres) but if on low only 3.5 litres. That's only about a 15th of your 80 litre tank capacity on high or a 23rd on low, so basically b#gger all.

Anyway who cares! It's such a brilliant piece of kit that it's worth every drop. :thumb

Last edited:
Ahh. but will the heater run better on premium diesel or supermarket stuff.

The Eberspacher D3 is no longer sold by the company, maybe made just for VW, but it is a 3 Kw heater and the replacement would be the D4.
Fuel consumption for the D4 is :
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 15.20.56.jpg

So, at continuous maximum output you would use 7.14 L over 14 hrs, AND in the California as it is thermostatically controlled a lot less than that. In fact probably nearer 3-4 L in total or less.

The T6 manual says 0.3l/hr.
I guess that will vary as per the post by @WelshGas.

The T6 manual says 0.3l/hr.
I guess that will vary as per the post by @WelshGas.

Or,

You could just chill out and think "bugger it: I'm warm, the wine is great, the pasta tonight was beautiful, the vehicle I'm in just has to be the best, what's half a litre an hour between friends, it's peanuts".

However, using Calikev's above mentioned figures, fourteen hours on a high setting would have used less than a gallon (5.32 litres) but if on low only 3.5 litres. That's only about a 15th of your 80 litre tank capacity on high or a 23rd on low, so basically b#gger all.

Anyway who cares! It's such a brilliant piece of kit that it's worth every drop.
:thumb
I thought there was 4.54 litres in a gallon? Even so on high its not a

Sometimes I've used it a little and thought I noticed a difference in the gauge, othertimes used a lot and its not budged at all.

Its worth the cost to be warm and cosy :D

New beach owner here. We stayed on a friends driveway the other week after a party and I didn’t know what setting to use and as it was -3 I though I would se to 7. Way to hot. 3 would have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk