Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Difference between HVAC systems

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I've spotted that some calis (SE) come with climate control, with rear vents above the fridge and others with more basic air con and no vents above the fridge. Was the former an option and does it make much difference, specifically in relation to tear ventilation?

Cheers

As you say it yourself , some have climate control others don't
Climate control is/was an option

3 zone climate control was an expensive option, now included as standard. It works very well, more powerful and versatile than standard a/c.

We do not have 3 zone climate control (climatronic). It's ok most of the time. But when it's hot, and we have someone in the back, or even our bordercollie, they suffer!
If it had to be done again I would take this expensive option.

I've been reading a few posts and there is a mix between those saying regular air con is fine and cools the back adequately and those that prefer climatronic.

Does the rear have no vents at all in calis without climatronic?

With the 3 zone climatronic ( = full automatic airco), you have a second evaporator for the 3rd zone (rear). It is hidden behind the rear right body panel. If the van gets really hot and you turn on the airconditioning, the rear blower will run at full speed to cool the van down as fast as possible, while the front (2 zones) will cool down with a fan speed of half to 3/4 of the maximum.
With Climatic (= basic airconditioning), I don't know if there is also a second evaporator (@hotel california ,@Wesel ?).
But when you want to cool down your vehicle with a climatic (= manual control) without the second evaporator, all the cooling has to come from the front = slower cooling down.
I think for such a big volume of air, it is best to have the +/- €3000 option.

The basic is actually only single zone, theres no option to have different temperatures left to right.

We have managed ok with up to six in the van in 40 degree+ in spain with just the basic aircon.

Factory tinted windows help as does the double glazing, the rear passengers don't seem to get at all hot from the sun shining through the side windows, whereas my right knee always seems to catch the sun.

I actually hate the climatronic bit, I have it on out of our other cars, & prefer the simple controls. having said that it would be nice to also have simple aircon in the back.

Until 1998 I had managed all my life without aircon in any car, the best I could hope for was a rug to sit on to temper the heat from the superheated black vinyl seats that I seemed to have in every car.

Back