Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dilemma. What to Buy?

G

golfie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
For 8 years we have used our California SE180 to travel to the Algarve two or three times a year. Unfortunately we now find it is more difficult to climb into the roof bed area and the base bed is too narrow for us. So use the Cali for transport only. We have decided to buy a similar sized vehicle with a full width rock and roll bed for emergencies. But what VW vehicle do we buy?

We assume a factory option would be a Caravelle. Has anyone any other suggestions?

A Beach would give added headroom making for a more versatile vehicle than the Caravelle.

bigger or higher top vans would incur ferry cost penalties as I'm sure that you are already aware of.

Cali Beach? you could still pop the roof for headroom.
Thanks for the replies. We did not consider a Beach as I thought the bed was the same width as the Cali.

Thanks for the replies. We did not consider a Beach as I thought the bed was the same width as the Cali.

You get a full width downstairs bed with a Beach.
They come in 2 seater and 3 seater versions. I believe each have their pro's and con's when it comes to the lower bed.

Not a beach owner myself, but lots here are, so I'm sure there will be someone to answer any questions you have on the Beach

Get a beach - I recommend the 2 seater beach (yes I am biased) - has a kingsize bed (as does the 3 seater beach) but the configuration with the storage box give it the real camper feel and is a brilliant space to put a little cooking station on (the cushion is removable so is a very stable surface). You can buy them easily enough from Ebay something like this

Here's ours with Mr Lemondrop's homemade one: Lifts out when we arrive at our destination.

If you need to carry more than 4, go for the 3 seater beach.

Attachments

• mdqUO%WqSEWUwMomixMGpA.jpg
    mdqUO%WqSEWUwMomixMGpA.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 63
I do prefer the 3 seat bench. The bed and multiflex board are higher, giving much more flexible luggage space under the board, especially in combination with the cheap and robust Muji pull out drawers (the top two are missing in the photo, but are now in and a perfect fit). Also, the 3 seat multiflex board folds up and down in a number of ways which allow you to adjust its length for more space in the cabin or more space for luggage, or carry tall objects even with the bench moved back.

98095290-7F4D-4428-BC3B-DDDE61B834BF.jpeg
E9A3D1D8-87E1-4774-A3F0-D0012B5633FF.jpeg

Last edited:
2 seater bench Beach, bed is massive, brilliant vehicle.

@golfie If you are thinking about the Beach, another thing to consider is that the three seat bench is higher than the 2 seat, which means very limited headroom in bed mode.

There are pros and cons of both: You can't put a decent sized fridge in the boot of the 2 seater because the multiflex is lower.

Bed made up with VW comfort mattress in 3 seat bench Beach. Roof is up, but you can see where it would be if it were down. For me it’s plenty of room even when down, and the added under bed storage space is huge. 07B23AE3-D9B3-477A-8677-401925D611AA.jpeg

Back