Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dim Battery Warning Light showing

I think my Cali might also be suffering from this problem, in my case it's the washer bottle warning light and fuel level indicator that come on, but disappear as soon as the seat belt is unfastened.

I'm just trying to assimilate the information above and what the best thing to do is. Dismantle and check earths are good? Any advice appreciated.

Martyn

I think my Cali might also be suffering from this problem, in my case it's the washer bottle warning light and fuel level indicator that come on, but disappear as soon as the seat belt is unfastened.

I'm just trying to assimilate the information above and what the best thing to do is. Dismantle and check earths are good? Any advice appreciated.

Martyn

Actually, I've just realised that I had the wrong way round on my post above! The fuel warning light and washer bottle low level warning glow faintly but disappear as soon as the seat belt is fastened.

Actually, I've just realised that I had the wrong way round on my post above! The fuel warning light and washer bottle low level warning glow faintly but disappear as soon as the seat belt is fastened.
Do you know if anyone has sorted this problem out as my 2015 SE has just started with the same issues. Vehicle was like an ice box this morning -4 and started with the problem as vehicle warmed up

So I checked at night and also noticed that more than one light shows dim in different circumstances...
  • Battery bulb is dim when...
    - Drivers seatbelt not in
    - Left indicator is on (blinks in time with it), doesn't happen with the right indicator
    - Hazard lights are on
    - Traction control is disabled

• Low Fuel bulb is dim when...
    - Drivers seatbelt not in

• Right Indicator bulb is dim when...
    - Cruise control is enabled (the green Cruise Control light is bright, as normal)

• Bulb Failure shows when...
    - Rear foglight is turned on
I made a short video here

Does this change what the problem can be?! :)

Cheers,
Stu
Hi Stew, my 2014 T5 dashboard has started behaving in a virtually identical way to your description (right indicator bulb dim when cruise control enabled, battery light blinks dim with left indicator etc). Did you ever diagnose whether it was a just a poor earth, a faulty instrument cluster, or something else entirely?
Thanks for your help!
Morgan

Hi Stew, my 2014 T5 dashboard has started behaving in a virtually identical way to your description (right indicator bulb dim when cruise control enabled, battery light blinks dim with left indicator etc). Did you ever diagnose whether it was a just a poor earth, a faulty instrument cluster, or something else entirely?
Thanks for your help!
Morgan
Hi. Did you ever get this sorted out as my T5.1 has the same problems as you describe?
Thanks

Hi Matthew, I didn't hear anything more from Stew about this but I'm guessing it must be a known issue if the three of us have all had exactly the same light show!
I never did anything to fix it but weirdly it seems to have almost completely stopped happening. I need to check again at night but if the lights are still glowing as they were, they are almost imperceptibly dim now. I did wonder if it was anything to do with the cold as all of us seem to have had the same problem in February (2019 then 2020). It has got warmer now.
I probably won't do anything now it seems to have fixed itself but if you do figure anything out I'd love to know what was casuing it. Possibly it will reoccur next winter?

Back