Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disable ESP on T6 without ESP bottom.

G

grogan

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,
In order to disconnect the ESP on those Californias that are not 4 motion, you need to follow few steps.
1.- Switch the contact of your vehicle on.
2. Start the emergency lights.
3. Press the throttle 5 consecutive times.
You will hear a sound, the ESP is disable now.
Check out this video.
Cheers,

Hi,
In order to disconnect the ESP on those Californias that are not 4 motion, you need to follow few steps.
Check out this video.
Cheers,
Excuse me for asking, but why would you want to do this?
Under what circumstances would you want ESP off?

Snow, ice etc. Under some conditions you should disable it or you wont move.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Snow, ice etc. Under some conditions you should disable it or you wont move.

If that is the case then I would have thought VW would have an easier method of disabling ESP unless of course there is some regulation against it.
Proper Winter/All Season tyres would probably negate against having to disable it. If you still cannot drive with ESP on then maybe it's an indication that you shouldn't anyway, for your own and other road users safety.

The easiest way is the bottom as in 4 motion models.
Wether the driver should drive in bad conditions with or without electronic assistance is another debate in my opinion.
Winter tyres are not magical, and trust me that I use them.
If you have to use chains under some circumstances you better disconnect ESP. Chains modify tyre dimensions and therefore ESP recognizes some difference in the speed of the wheel getting crazy.
Again, is up to the driver to use or not.
Cheers

Thanks for the info Grogan, always useful in one of those 'it'll never happen to me' situations...

Having driven everything from a '69 Beetle to a 911 through winter / in Switzerland / to the mountains / on summer tyres, I recognise there are times when you just need to get out of the flat ice-covered car park and onto dry road!

Thanks for the info Grogan, always useful in one of those 'it'll never happen to me' situations...

Having driven everything from a '69 Beetle to a 911 through winter / in Switzerland / to the mountains / on summer tyres, I recognise there are times when you just need to get out of the flat ice-covered car park and onto dry road!
Happy to hear that! Always happy to help and share knowledge.
Cheers,

Presumably it comes back on once the engine is stopped and restarted?
I wonder if there are many more hidden tricks like this.

Hi,
Check out this video.
Cheers,

Once the ESP has been disabled using this method how is it turned back on again?

Has anyone tried driving in this mode, seen quoted elsewhere it stops as soon as the hazards are switched off so may only be useful whilst you extricate yourself from a sticky spot?

Hi,
Check out this video.
Cheers,
strange..all transporters I owned (2x T5 bus, T6cali now) simply had/have button on the dashboard to switch esp off/on ?! And indeed I needed it a few times over the years to drive away with spinning wheels because there was Ice on the road .

strange..all transporters I owned (2x T5 bus, T6cali now) simply had/have button on the dashboard to switch esp off/on ?! And indeed I needed it a few times over the years to drive away with spinning wheels because there was Ice on the road .
That used to be the rule. Now only have a button on the dashboard if you have a 4 motion model.
Cheers

Excuse me for asking, but why would you want to do this?
Under what circumstances would you want ESP off?
It is in the VW manual , see the chapter that describes the esp button in the 4 motion.

Hi,
Check out this video.
Cheers,
And how on earth did you find out this method ?? Are there more easter eggs like this in our cali's ?!

It is in the VW manual , see the chapter that describes the esp button in the 4 motion.
Yes, I know all about the ESP function and it's abilities on the 4Motion.
But this was 2 wheel drive and VW decided NOT to fix a Disabling Button. Must be a reason.

And how on earth did you find out this method ?? Are there more easter eggs like this in our cali's ?!
I found it once in a website that I can not remember. However, since it was so weird I could not believe it. Them, I read it again in a Spanish forum and had to try it and it worked.

Thank goodness for this forum.

I had a nightmare this weekend as I was going up a hill with slushy snow and half way up my traction control light started flashing and of course the ESP cut in and killed all my power to limit wheelspim and so I ground to a halt halfway up a hill.

Could I disable the ESP?

Well nothing in the handbook of course and with no signal on my phone I couldn’t check the website or this forum.

So I had to slowly reverse down the hill and park up to wait for more cars to slush the snow so I could have another attempt.

It’s totally ridiculous for VW not to fit an ESP off button to the California. This is the second time I have needed it when exiting a snowy slushy exit and it’s not a really great thing to have to sit by and wait for the snow to melt!

Ok so now I found the trick to disable it but what a faf when you on a hill and about to grind to a halt and loose all momentum. This is a really poor feature. Every other VW I’ve owned has an ESP off button. Why not the 2WD Cali???

Thank goodness for this forum.

I had a nightmare this weekend as I was going up a hill with slushy snow and half way up my traction control light started flashing and of course the ESP cut in and killed all my power to limit wheelspim and so I ground to a halt halfway up a hill.

Could I disable the ESP?

Well nothing in the handbook of course and with no signal on my phone I couldn’t check the website or this forum.

So I had to slowly reverse down the hill and park up to wait for more cars to slush the snow so I could have another attempt.

It’s totally ridiculous for VW not to fit an ESP off button to the California. This is the second time I have needed it when exiting a snowy slushy exit and it’s not a really great thing to have to sit by and wait for the snow to melt!

Ok so now I found the trick to disable it but what a faf when you on a hill and about to grind to a halt and loose all momentum. This is a really poor feature. Every other VW I’ve owned has an ESP off button. Why not the 2WD Cali???
The T5 has it.

The T5 has it.

Great. But why not the T6.

Can you imagine driving along and seeing a snow covered road and thinking...”let me just pull over and switch on my hazard lights and pump the throttle 5 times just in case this Hill is a bit slippery and I might need to spin my wheels to get a bit of traction?”

That’s like saying pull over and press the rear most interior light switch five times to switch on the rear fog light to prevent inadvertently blinding the car behind me....

I am totally able to determine when to switch off my ESP when the need arises without having to stop. It’s totally dangerous to be stuck half way up a snow covered hill with the risk of sliding back down I a 3 tonne vehicle out of control because some smart person decided to either save 5€ or play big brother to the driver and take away his or her ability to drive safely in the snow.

Moan over.

Great. But why not the T6.

Can you imagine driving along and seeing a snow covered road and thinking...”let me just pull over and switch on my hazard lights and pump the throttle 5 times just in case this Hill is a bit slippery and I might need to spin my wheels to get a bit of traction?”

That’s like saying pull over and press the rear most interior light switch five times to switch on the rear fog light to prevent inadvertently blinding the car behind me....

I am totally able to determine when to switch off my ESP when the need arises without having to stop. It’s totally dangerous to be stuck half way up a snow covered hill with the risk of sliding back down I a 3 tonne vehicle out of control because some smart person decided to either save 5€ or play big brother to the driver and take away his or her ability to drive safely in the snow.

Moan over.
I think the T6 4Motion has the switch.

You could try this. - see last post.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?7111-VW-T6-4motion-esc-disable/page2

Back