Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you fill your water tank with your garden hose? [HOSEGATE]

I know, I'm a retired Intensivist.

dscf0406.418

I found this hose to fill the water tank this week, about the size of the 907 gaz bottle

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of necessity I ended up using this system and I think I will stick with it. We had taken a fold up water container bought from a chain store, but after I topped up using this I found it had tainted the water and we had to jettison the whole tank :mad:
IMG_9479.jpg
The bucket is the collapsible one I wrote about in another thread. The string on the funnel has a large knot at the top end which slides into the awning rail. Thus the tank can be filled single handed very rapidly.

I use a 5m version of this. So far seems plenty long enough for filling up. They are also food quality. I roll it up and it sits perfectly in the space above the gas bottle lid and the bottom shelf of the cupboard.
Where did you find this please? I can't quite make out the internet address. Many thanks, Judith and ZuluCampi

Out of necessity I ended up using this system and I think I will stick with it. We had taken a fold up water container bought from a chain store, but after I topped up using this I found it had tainted the water and we had to jettison the whole tank :mad:
View attachment 8842
The bucket is the collapsible one I wrote about in another thread. The string on the funnel has a large knot at the top end which slides into the awning rail. Thus the tank can be filled single handed very rapidly.

Here exact the same , funnel and collapsible bucket ....
Exept i use the wife for holding the flunnel , now tinking of leaving her home and use a cord ....saves space and money:D

Where did you find this please? I can't quite make out the internet address. Many thanks, Judith and ZuluCampi
Shuddycamps,
We sell these in 2m and 5m versions in our shop. I'm away in Slovenia this week, but could post one next week. I can't recall the cost off top of my head though. In the meantime if you Google 'fill up 5' you will find plenty of online retailers selling them.

We use the same as KaliKev with a 2m extension piece when required. If not moving the van we use the 10 litre Brandrup collapsable water bottle using the awning rail attachment to hold it up when filling, it was expensive to buy compared to others but works great for us.

we use the 10 litre Brandrup collapsable water bottle using the awning rail attachment to hold it up when filling, it was expensive to buy
You don't need to say "Brandrup" and "expensive" in the same sentence, they both mean the same :D

A word of warning.We use a Brandrup water filler all the time due to the fact that most our nights are spent wild camping, so getting within hose length of a water tap is only something we can only dream of, a bit like electric hook ups.

Because the outside of the Brandrup can often get wet when filling it, grit and sand can readily stick to it, then when hooking it on to the roof rail, which is always a bit of a struggle, you hold it against the window - result , nasty scratches on the glass. So we adopted the proceedure of wrapping a towel around it before holding it against the bodywork.

I just use the garden hose. Flush it through then fill tank. I use it for everything. I'll even use it for drinking water, but usually have bottled water chilled in the fridge. Certainly use it for cooking and making hot drinks. Normally have to fill the tank every 48hrs, so it doesn't hang around long. Never caused any problems in the past. I sterilise yearly and drain it after each trip.
What do you use to sterilise the tank when you do your annual clean?

I use Puriclean powder (can get it from amazon) at the start of the season, first "sterilising" the 20l collapsible water carrier (ÂŁ5-10 vs Brandrup), and blue potable water pipe (that I inherited with the van) overnight. After a double rinse, I then fill that with more Puriclean water solution, and decant it into the van's empty water tank (usually 2 trips) until overflowing. Leave overnight. Double rinse (fill and empty with fresh water). Third time the water stays in. So essentially I use water from the kitchen tap, avoid a garden hose but do hoik a heavy receptacle to the van. It perches precariously on the roof whilst it empties into the water tank via the hose but I think I'll rig up a cord and something to slot into the awning carrier rail. Once I've done the seasonal steri, we just use kitchen tap or campsite freshwater tap into the water carrier and then into the van via the hose. "Never had a problem" - we use for everything and it tastes as fresh from the Cali tap as from the kitchen!

the problem isnt germs or bacteria - garden hoses leach chemicals into the water which is a long term issue, not anything to do with drinking water quality. it is the build up of chemicals that is the concern.

You are right. But maybe you are not aware that many manufacturers actually offers garden hoses free of lead, and Phthalates. Mine is from Gardena and "drinkable" ;-)

:bananadance:bananadanceThis is another of those "comedy posts" isn't it? :bananadance:bananadance

I couldn't sleep the other night, and my mind decided to invent the ultimate Cali.....you know the one with a big translucent Jerry-Can under the sink that you can carry to the water tap, and get an instant level check by lots of complicated electronics and LCD displays........sorry I meant 'by opening the door and looking at the level'....just like Reimo did 30 years ago.

I can't remember what I spent the cost of the Brandrup water filler kit on.......

We use a food graded hose, we also carry it with us and use it on campsites. Even though we do not use our onboard water tank for drinking we do occasionally use it for cleaning our teeth and washing veg. If you knew what lurked in a garden hose you would never ever fill your fresh water tank using it !!

We use a food graded hose, we also carry it with us and use it on campsites. Even though we do not use our onboard water tank for drinking we do occasionally use it for cleaning our teeth and washing veg. If you knew what lurked in a garden hose you would never ever fill your fresh water tank using it !!
And the Campsite taps etc: I've seen people washing out their Chemical toilets from them.

+1 for food grade hose however we don't use it on camp sites.

Back