Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Filling up water with garden hose

A hose will be fine ... but let it run for a while first. Many years ago a friend of mine didn't run the water out first and drank directly from a hose that had been left sitting for god knows how long.

He spent three days sleeping in a bath covered with a blanket and squirting involuntarily from all orifices.

Let the hose run for a while if you don't know when or for what it was last used.

Is it OK to fill up the water tank with the garden hose? My neighbour just stopped me and said ' you dont want to be doing that, there is loads of bacteria in the hose'
If it’s a long coiled up hose that sits around outside for weeks full of water since the last time it was used, then perhaps running some fresh water through it before filling your tank would be one idea. There is always the argument about plastics leaching into water when buying plastic bottles water dependent on how long the waters been sitting in the bottle and in what environment, so I guess there’s that element too with hoses….

I use the garden tap, ran for a minute, always direct from the tap away using a homemade brandrup water filler bag, easy to clean, flexibility on tap location, an arm work out, fits in the rear locker and easy to clean.
Don't tend clean the van tank as in weekly use with 10+litre minimum used, never had a problem drinking from it weekly.

Why a garden hose to fill such a small water tank, I wonder. Everyone has their own opinion on this of course. I use a ‘water Jerrycan’ with spout and have filled the tank faster than with a water hose.
680FC16D-30A4-4133-BF38-E11B57985C29.jpeg
There are also foldable.
Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited:
Just something else to carry that’s bulky?
Maybe, but takes not much more space than a garden hose + faster filling the little water tank. There are foldable ones also, like I mentioned. But each his own choise ;)
Ours is roughly as shown in the photo (was illustrative) and has a tap at the bottom at the front: sometimes very handy to have some extra water in a canister to use outside, for example, but if you don't find that necessary, there are also ones without a tap.

Foldable, with on/off tap & hangs on the awning rail for easy filling:

Expensive for what it is, a funnel, some cord to hold it up with a knot that slides in the channel and a foldable container
Foldable, with on/off tap & hangs on the awning rail for easy filling:

funnel + cord with a knott to fit in the channel and a 15l foldable water container £11 total, No way paying the Brandrup price !

Expensive for what it is, a funnel, some cord to hold it up with a knot that slides in the channel and a foldable container

funnel + cord with a knott to fit in the channel and a 15l foldable water container £11 total, No way paying the Brandrup price !
Brandrup is always rather expensive, you’ve got that right. A water Jerrycan with a funnel is cheaper. But the system, the idea itself is good.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t use a campsite hose because you just don’t know where it’s been and what grubby unwashed hands have been handling it (present company excepted!). So I bought a foldable 20litre container and a funnel and hung the funnel from the emergency roof strap attachment in the side channel, but soon found it was quite a faff mainly because the funnel still wouldn’t sit vertically and it was slow waiting for the funnel to drain. Good arm work out though! So I decided to get a 10m non toxic lay flat hose in a bag that will only be used for the camper and now sits in the drawer under the bed. So much quicker, just make sure all remaining water is drained from it when coiled back up before storage. Here’s what I got £16 off Amazon. Don’t + me coz it’s not blue though :)

E0305140-7F64-436C-9106-0E1AD9A80D4D.png

0BCF4CFC-704F-45F3-B221-F4A7E1FAE6EB.png

Brandrup is always rather expensive, you’ve got that right. A water Jerrycan with a funnel is cheaper. But the system, the idea itself is good.
Totally agree, happy to buy selected products but that and the Airscreen didn’t seem value so made them. Use the airscreen a lot when the weathers awful.

Totally agree, happy to buy selected products but that and the Airscreen didn’t seem value so made them. Use the airscreen a lot when the weathers awful.
:thumb The airscreen does look useful and great you made your own.

Just to make a change in the discussion we have stopped using the Water tank entirely .

I got fed up with washing out the tank with cleaning tablets every time we went away only to find that on site there was a tap close by to fill the kettle/potato sauce pan etc. and the tank water never got used.

So we now take a ‘recycled’ 2 litre milk bottle filled with fresh water just in case and use local tap water if needed .

Saves a lot of trouble cleaning the tank and also reduces whatever risk there might be of any nasty bacteria lurking in hoses, tanks etc

Back