Does anyone know why?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
The California does not have thick insulation on the walls or floor, but all the conversions I've seen and all the build threads on the T4/T5 forum start with placing anti-vibration matting ( OK I can understand that ) then Insulation matting and reflective bubble insulation followed by ply and carpet. Why? when the California doesn't have that.
Ok it would keep the van warmer in Winter but in Summer?

Is it the fact that we have the Parking Heater in the SE and as an accessory in the Beach?

I have wondered the same.

I think it is a compromise. Saves on a small amount of weight and space, probably a not too small amount of cost and when you have a huge furnace to blow out hot air in the winter who's going to miss it?

Are those big white campervans insulated behind the cupboards ?
Floors prob. yes , but walls....?
Weight and spacesaving my guess. Becouse on top of insullation you need a hard not compresseble material to make it solid.

The Vw van I sound deadened and insulated kept the heat in in winter and stopped the heat coming through in summer, therefore keeping it cooler inside in summer.
The California is in effect "double glazed" on all sides due to the plastic trim lining all over with an air gap, air being one of the best insulators, between the outer tin can and the inside plastic trim. So its tin outside, air gap then plastic trim then inside.
The roof is also super insulated with the soft trim on the underside of the upstairs bed and then the mattress and then soft trim inside the roof, until you lift it of course!

The big motorhomes often have composite wall panels like modern caravans.

I see your point snowy55. I think you are probably correct. The internal plastic trim is pretty well fitted and so if able to stop convection currents it would be a good insulation format.

Insulation will help to keep it warm or cool from external excesses, but we're treating it like a house (or a big caravan) with this idea which is probably all wrong. The worst culprit in a house's heat loss is actually through ventilation via air leaks in the fabric. Living in a tiny enclosed space like a van will create plenty of that each time you get in and out, but you also have a lot of moisture around through breath and cooking compared to a house's larger space,(especially at night, all closed up) which will make very wet air, which will tend to deposit onto cold surfaces (e.g morning windscreens). This condensation can cause all sorts of problems from rust, rot, and fungal diseases or asthma, especially if it can stay trapped in tight, badly ventilated spaces. It can only be prevented by meticulous airtightness. Insulation on a big building will save some energy use during the long continuous winter, but as long as you have the power to overcome the campervan heat losses (which the Cali does), you are better off with good ventilation (air vents in roof) and nice heat to keep warm. I have serious doubts that any added insulation to a van will do any good, but more likely harm. Sprayed onto bare metal in an airtight way, may have a more useful effect.
Sounds to me like the Cali is well designed in respect of this issue.

In our old van, we used a 400w "small office" convection heater on the EHU all night, and this did the trick at no extra relative cost, unlike home use. The screen was nearly always completely dry. Those without the diesel heater could try this. Place the heater in the passenger footwell. They are pretty safe if not covered or touching anything.

Unless someone does a Phd like-for-like comparison, it's best to forget about this subject and move on !

Thanks rookeryview. I have absolutely no intention of adding insulation, I was just wondering why the "Converters" spend so much time and effort insulating the vans while VW don't.
As you said, in the middle of winter, roof up or front window partially open for ventilation + heater on. Dry windscreen in the morning, so VW have got it right.

T6 has a new form of insulation that is not in the current / old model if you look at the German specs, some type of thermal sheet material as used aeroplanes I'm told.

Doesn't the Cali have any noise damping? My '88 BMW had thick noise insulation behind the door cards which also would have had good thermal properties - nothing like this in the Cali?

As for caravans, insulation is well worth it. Without it any heat you put in just disappears when the heater goes off!

I'm sure it has because there is a world of difference in noise levels compared to a panel van,

I'm sure it has because there is a world of difference in noise levels compared to a panel van,
I can vouch for that, my son has the 180 DSG Sportline and there is no comparison, the Cali is much more refined. Even in the way the doors close the Cali has a more expensive clunk due to the double seals on the doors compared to single on the van. Numerous other detail differences.