Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does my Cali T6.1 need charging ?

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We got our lovely new Cali two days before lockdown and only took it on one reasonable outing before parking up. A month later, I took it it round the block and checked the battery which was nearly full, before hooking up and charging for a day. I have just checked the leisure battery once more as another 4 weeks nearly up and the display showing that the battery is still nearly fully charged. Surely there is no need to charge it once more? I have read more than once on here that it is essential to hook up every 4 weeks when not being used and wonder if there if I should take this literally. I plan to check the level on a weekly basis until travel is relaxed. thanks

Keep it fully charged so far as possible else the ‘nearly’ fully charged you’re describing will, over time, become the new ‘fully’ charged as your battery capacity is eroded. Allowing the battery to remain at anything other than fully charged will ultimately shorten its life.

We got our lovely new Cali two days before lockdown and only took it on one reasonable outing before parking up. A month later, I took it it round the block and checked the battery which was nearly full, before hooking up and charging for a day. I have just checked the leisure battery once more as another 4 weeks nearly up and the display showing that the battery is still nearly fully charged. Surely there is no need to charge it once more? I have read more than once on here that it is essential to hook up every 4 weeks when not being used and wonder if there if I should take this literally. I plan to check the level on a weekly basis until travel is relaxed. thanks
Best to hookup monthly as the %display is not that accurate and batteries like a trickle charge. I leave mine on hookup when it’s parked up.
Worth updating your profile as it’s currently showing you looking. Easier for members to help if they can identify what you’ve got.

Never mind “ Reading it on here “, have you read the relevant section in your Handbook?

Never mind “ Reading it on here “, have you read the relevant section in your Handbook?
thanks again. just referred back to to manual and of course it does say must be charged min of 12 hours every four weeks. when i think about it, i have read that before and hence carried out the charge as per three weeks back. it was upon checking and noting little depreciation, made me wonder if it was really essential after all. Shes on charge right now.....

thanks again. just referred back to to manual and of course it does say must be charged min of 12 hours every four weeks. when i think about it, i have read that before and hence carried out the charge as per three weeks back. it was upon checking and noting little depreciation, made me wonder if it was really essential after all. Shes on charge right now.....
Is it really necessary? I don't know. I have never charged mine inbetween. But I use mine as a daily driver, and as I have no start/stop (bluemotion technology), my 3 batteries are always charged 100%.
It is not as for being necessary, it is for conditioning your batteries. Fresh batteries can hold their load for a few weeks, but as you van (and your batteries) will age, they will start losing capacity, and thus making it hold their load less. And the sooner you neglect your batteries the faster they will age.