Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging main battery.

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
It really likes to drain on longer camping, no matter you don't use the radio.
If you have any door open the display is working draining the battery.
Anyway my question is, can you charge the main battery without unplugging it? just hooking the charger clamps on it.
If you don't try to start the car during the charging I think it should be fine but better to make sure with all the new fancy electronics there is. :)

Is there a limitation on the amps? No chance to dmg the alternator?

Does the Beach not charge the leisure and starter battery when on electric hook up ?

I agree with John. The ctek chargers monitor the battery state and will only pump into it what it needs.

None of the Calis charge an auxiliary battery on hook up.
Mine puts a trickle into the starter battery when hooked up - but takes ages to charge it much!

Our 2014 se certainly charges both. Thought all the later ones did.

Plugging your Cali into the mains will not charge the starter battery but it will keep it topped up

None of the Calis charge an auxiliary battery on hook up.
Sorry, Incorrect. Since about 2007 the California SE and now the T6 Ocean, when on Mains Hookup will charge both the Leisure Batteries as a Priority followed by the Engine Battery. I can see this with a voltmeter. Now as far as the Beach is concerned I have no idea. It may have a less able charger as I believe the Beach comes with only 1 Leisure Battery?

As Calked has stated on the SE and Ocean it only trickle charges the Engine Battery. It cannot charge a flat battery.

If you put it on hook-up the batteries are beeing maintaint , also with the new Beach , no?

@Sp0_0k , do you leave the automatic doorlights switchd ON at all times?
This means every time you open a door it takes power from the starter bat.
When on site a few days with no driving and no hook-up you open doors sevral times...draining the starter bat.
Mine is always OFF (do this on every car i own ) so you don't drain the bat. If a door is not propper closed and the light stays on ( as new verhicles got a timer on it , i know)