Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the Beach have Cup Holders in the front?

Your constant reference to “flash dash” and “bling” is starting to indicate a slight bitterness towards those who chose to spend an extra £500 on a £50000 vehicle which ultimately transforms the look of the interior part of the vehicle the owner spend most of their time in front of, IMO of course.
Have you looked into whether it can be retro fitted ?

On the contrary, the tone of your post indicates where the bitterness, if any, appears to lie. Why? My comments on the Standard verses Comfort dash were directed to the OP and were my opinion. This is a forum where people do just that, give there opinions! You are under no obligation to agree.

Further more, why do you imagine that I have any interest in what you or anyone else for that matter, chooses to spend money on? If it's what you want then that's fine and dandy. There really is no need to get snippy about it.

As for "flash" and "bling", they are obviously down to personal taste and you might be interested to learn that I too am not averse to a bit of both but not at the expense of practicality. The primary function of any tool has to be to do the job it was designed for as well as possible. Making it look nice should always be a secondary consideration. That is purely my opinion and you don't have to agree.

Finally, "retro fitted", why?

Last edited:
On the contrary, the tone of your posts indicates where the bitterness, if any, appears to lie. Why? My comments on the Standard verses Comfort dash were directed to the OP and were my opinion. This is a forum where people do just that, give there opinions! You are under no obligation to agree.

Further more, why do you imagine that I have any interest in what you or anyone else for that matter, chooses to spend money on? If it's what you want then that's fine and dandy. There really is no need to get snippy about it.

As for "flash" and "bling", they are obviously down to personal taste and you might be interested to learn that I too am not averse to a bit of both but not at the expense of practicality. The primary function of any tool has to be to do the job it was designed for as well as possible. Making it look nice should always be a secondary consideration. That is purely my opinion and you don't have to agree.

Finally, "retro fitted", why?

My remark was slightly tongue in cheek, particularly the retro fit part.

Do you get the cooled bottle holder in the central column with the ‘uncomfortable’ dash?

Not a clue but would you pay £900 to get one? ;)

Get a nice cold bottle of water, take a refreshing sip then place said bottle between the driver and passenger seats, about 100mm behind the gear stick.
If you end up with a puddle on the floor, you don’t have one ;)

Ha! :D As for comfort vs non-comfort give me cubby holes, wipeable plastics, manual roofs, steel wheels, grey bumpers, simple switches for fridges and heaters (not lump it all together in some unfathomable, shonky, unreliable Jerry built piece of 1980's computer hardware) etc, etc any day.

Ha! :D As for comfort vs non-comfort give me cubby holes, wipeable plastics, manual roofs, steel wheels, grey bumpers, simple switches for fridges and heaters (not lump it all together in some unfathomable, shonky, unreliable Jerry built piece of 1980's computer hardware) etc, etc any day.

Now you’re talking !

One thing I would say about the comfort dash is this. My 6 year old boy has a tendency to put his feet up on the dash when he’s in the front, which is his spot when it’s just me and him on a journey.
I have kittens every time he does this as I know it wouldn’t take much to scratch that nice flashy cubby hole door.
Still, I imagine it’s fairly easy to replace, once VW have relieved me of somewhere in the region of a few hundred pounds for a replacement !

Now you’re talking !

One thing I would say about the comfort dash is this. My 6 year old boy has a tendency to put his feet up on the dash when he’s in the front, which is his spot when it’s just me and him on a journey.
I have kittens every time he does this as I know it wouldn’t take much to scratch that nice flashy cubby hole door.
Still, I imagine it’s fairly easy to replace, once VW have relieved me of somewhere in the region of a few hundred pounds for a replacement !

Oh! Going to drop the funny mood of this topic and get all 'health and safety' here but don't let him do that, not for your dash but his safety - not sure how big he is or what type of child seat but submarining etc is an issue or any other type of injury if not sitting upright and properly restrained...

Not a clue but would you pay £900 to get one? ;)
Hahaha, probably not, just wondering. I hired a beach without the comfort dash and thought it was just fine. Then bought an ex demo with the comfort dash, can’t say I’m overly fussed either way. It was more about other options than the dash. However plenty of folks with the vans try and convert afterwards or at least add lids to some of the openings, if you read the T6 forum.

Oh! Going to drop the funny mood of this topic and get all 'health and safety' here but don't let him do that, not for your dash but his safety - not sure how big he is or what type of child seat but submarining etc is an issue or any other type of injury if not sitting upright and properly restrained...

Thanks Max-Felix, appreciate the advice.
He sits on a booster seat so is quite high up and the part of the belt which runs across his lap is locked into the booster seat if that makes sense, so I’m fairly sure he’d be if if the worst should happen.
However, If you don’t mind I will be show him your post and tell him you are a policeman.
If nothing else it might stop him damaging the door !

My 6 year old boy has a tendency to put his feet up on the dash when he’s in the front, which is his spot when it’s just me and him on a journey.
Buy him some microfibre socks, save time dusting those shiny bits. :D

Thanks Max-Felix, appreciate the advice.
He sits on a booster seat so is quite high up and the part of the belt which runs across his lap is locked into the booster seat if that makes sense, so I’m fairly sure he’d be if if the worst should happen.
However, If you don’t mind I will be show him your post and tell him you are a policeman.
If nothing else it might stop him damaging the door !
Please don't forget that unless you've deactivated the passenger airbag his placing his feet on the dashboard could result in very serious injuries even in a minor bump.

Please don't forget that unless you've deactivated the passenger airbag his placing his feet on the dashboard could result in very serious injuries even in a minor bump.
I'll second that. From a Paramedic...

Thanks Boris, I have to admit that’s something I hadn’t considered so I appreciate you raising that point.

Hello All, OP here!

Thank you to everyone who replied, and replied with full heart. Honestly didnt expect it to get heated, or should i say people get so passionate!! I thought the comfort dash would have been a complete yes and won hands down due to its looks, but listening to the thoughts of all you Cali Gurus, im going to save my money, have some extra storage pockets and use the money for an adventure instead!!!

Once again, thank you to ALL your replies and wisdom, always appreciated!!!

Mark!

There's a creeping tendency for spending "other peoples money" on the forum. I have a standard dashboard & no additional aircon in my T6 Beach & I'm very happy with it - don't let anyone tell you what you "need". My previous T5 conversion was my first vehicle in a long long time that didn't have aircon at all and no-one melted. Likewise I've not plunged into a ravine (yet) at night with my below-par stock headlamps.

Some people want an Audi Q7 with a bed in it, whilst other are perfectly happy to keep it simpler & cheaper the better & over time I've gravitated toward the posts / threads from the latter. YMMV, and it's always interesting to read how broad the views are, but there are no absolutes.

There's a creeping tendency for spending "other peoples money" on the forum. I have a standard dashboard & no additional aircon in my T6 Beach & I'm very happy with it - don't let anyone tell you what you "need". My previous T5 conversion was my first vehicle in a long long time that didn't have aircon at all and no-one melted. Likewise I've not plunged into a ravine (yet) at night with my below-par stock headlamps.

Some people want an Audi Q7 with a bed in it, whilst other are perfectly happy to keep it simpler & cheaper the better & over time I've gravitated toward the posts / threads from the latter. YMMV, and it's always interesting to read how broad the views are, but there are no absolutes.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom. :)

So If I snap the sexy trim off of mine will I find these wondrous pockets behind...???
So what will I find behind the sexy trim of the flash, sorry comfort dash when I get my new Ocean, anyone willing to take a quick peek?

Almost certainly. Photos please. :thumb

Well I finally got to having a bit of spoke around to see about removing the trim.. not a fastener to be seen anywhere so I guess the whole thing is snapped in place.

I’m a bit scared to break something trying to get it apart. Research Is continuing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back