Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the Beach have Cup Holders in the front?

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello,

Ive searched the forums but cannot find it anywhere.

I wanted to order a beach with the comfort dash but decided to save £900 and order one with the 'Uncomfortable' dash which comes as standard.

From looking at photos on the internet etc, i cannot see any cup holders anywhere in the front of the beach, does the beach have any in the front?

Please tell me it does, got to have a coffee?

yes it does. as said they are on top of the dash.

you can see 1 far left of my pic here. there's one opposite side for the driver

20180511_161721.jpg

Thanks for that!!!! There in stealth position mode hence couldnt see them, that makes it a 'comfort' dash in my eyes. :thumb

The uncomfortable dash is superior to the comfortable version in many ways, including all the nooks and crannies for stuffing things away. However, the comfortable version includes Climatronic air conditioning. If required, this needs to be added as an option if you have the uncomfortable dash.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

The uncomfortable dash is superior to the comfortable version in many ways, including all the nooks and crannies for stuffing things away. However, the comfortable version includes Climatronic air conditioning. If required, this needs to be added as an option if you have the uncomfortable dash.

So, is that the £900 Comfort dash includes climate or if you want climate at + £x you also need to pay another £900 for the dash?

The comfort dash looks very nice and undoubtedly gives the California that up market luxury feel. However, the flash dash is much less practical because not only do you loose three very useful storage areas accross the front of the dash (covered over by the sexy trim) but the remaining two storage areas in the front and top of the comfort dash have hinged lids fitted which further restrict what you can fit in them. So its a simple choice, form or function?

Since the main strengths of the California Beach are it's practicality and versatility, to me at least, why compromise that formula for the sake of increasing the bling factor especially as the bling costs more and you end up with less. Why pay more for a Swiss Army knife that has less tools?

Re the aircon, the three zone climate control is a very important option which I wouldn't want to do without. It's a big vehicle to keep cool in the summer so if you go for the bog standard job I'd recommend this option.

Last edited:
So, is that the £900 Comfort dash includes climate or if you want climate at + £x you also need to pay another £900 for the dash?

Comfort dashboard pack
Includes Climatronic 3-zone air conditioning with 2nd evaporator, auxiliary heater, air conditioned headliner and additional passenger control, comfort dashboard with wide centre console and bottle compartment, decorative insert in brushed Dark Silver, decorative strip in metallic Anthracite, dust and pollen filter air outlet in driver’s compartment, without socket in front. Only in combination with Composition Media DAB+ radio or Discover Media navigation system on Beach models at an additional cost.
£1356

Climatronic
£834

Saving by deleting Comfort Dash but keeping Climatronic
£523 plus cost of media upgrade.

Nice to hear your thoughts on the 'comfy' and 'uncomfy' dash. Here are some pictures of both for direct comparison.confy dash.JPG unconfy dash.JPG

Dear All,

I started a thread on the coffee cup location on a standard dash (and thanks to all who replied) but feel this question might be better posted on a new thread so others looking to buy a Cali Beach can easily find it as its very vague what the Comfy dash actually is?

Comfy dash upgrade comes with 3 zone upgrade and costs £1356 but by adding this option, YOU HAVE to add the £450 6.33inch radio upgrade so all in it comes to £1806 inc vat.

The 3 zone ac upgrade on a standard 'uncomfy' dash comes to £834 which i have added to my order so the difference between the standard with 3 zone AC and the comfort dash and upgraded radio is nearly a £1000 difference.

So my question is, in your wisdom, is the comfort dash and radio worth the upgrade or is the 'uncomfy' dash actually better for real life situations?

I have attached both layout pictures for direct comparison
confy dash.JPG unconfy dash.JPG

Not sure why my new thread (above) was put in a my 'coffee cup location thread' question as they are two different queries, suppose the thread in that direction but hey hoy :confused: :oops:o_O

For those thinking of buying the comfort dash option on the Beach, please be aware that for some strange reason, the surround to the gearstick and the flap comes with a Matt black finish.

15307133877401666983255172137812.jpg

The comfort dash looks very nice and undoubtedly gives the California that up market luxury feel. However, the flash dash is much less practical because not only do you loose three very useful storage areas accross the front of the dash (covered over by the sexy trim) but the remaining two storage areas in the front and top of the comfort dash have hinged lids fitted which further restrict what you can fit in them. So its a simple choice, form or function?

Since the main strengths of the California Beach are it's practicality and versatility, to me at least, why compromise that formula for the sake of increasing the bling factor especially as the bling costs more and you end up with less. Why pay more for a Swiss Army knife that has less tools?

Re the aircon, the three zone climate control is a very important option which I wouldn't want to do without. It's a big vehicle to keep cool in the summer so if you go for the bog standard job I'd recommend this option.

I have the comfort dash and am glad I paid extra for it. Why ? Because although it’s a camper van I use it daily as well. When I get in it first thing in the morning it brings a smile to my face as it that bit more luxurious than my old van. Having spent the best part of £50000 on it I want/expect it too.
As for practicality, there is an element of practicality to the comfort dash. It’s a lot bloody easier to keep clean and the overall look of the drivers cabin is tidier.
As for the loss of cubby holes, it’s more than worth it imo.

So my question is, in your wisdom, is the comfort dash and radio worth the upgrade or is the 'uncomfy' dash actually better for real life situations?
We have the uncomfortable dash, the climatronic upgrade and the media upgrade.

Even if the comfortable dash was a zero cost option, we'd still have chosen the uncomfortable version. Those five cubby holes, two cup holders and lockable glove compartment trump comfort.

I have the comfort dash and am glad I paid extra for it. Why ? Because although it’s a camper van I use it daily as well. When I get in it first thing in the morning it brings a smile to my face as it that bit more luxurious than my old van. Having spent the best part of £50000 on it I want/expect it too.
As for practicality, there is an element of practicality to the comfort dash. It’s a lot bloody easier to keep clean and the overall look of the drivers cabin is tidier.
As for the loss of cubby holes, it’s more than worth it imo.

We hired a Caravelle (basically a shuttle) whilst in Spain a few weeks back which had the standard dash and it made it realise that I much prefer the Comfort dash for that extra bit of quality appearance.

Although the cost does seem high, if you have already decided that you want the 3 zone climate and the larger media screen, the cost is approx £500.

We have the uncomfortable dash, the climatronic upgrade and the media upgrade.

Even if the comfortable dash was a zero cost option, we'd still have chosen the uncomfortable version. Those five cubby holes, two cup holders and lockable glove compartment trump comfort.

You get cup holders with the comfort dash option.They are in a draw below the gear stick.
In terms of a locking glove box, if someone gets into you van and finds a locked glovebox, I imagine their first thought would be, “hmmm wonder what’s in there that needs locking away”
I doubt it would take much to force it open, with the resultant damage.
If I feel uneasy about an area I’ve had to leave my van in I quite often leave the glove box open, so at least if some scrote peers through the window they can see there’s no phone, wallet or keys in there.

You get cup holders with the comfort dash option.They are in a draw below the gear stick.
In terms of a locking glove box, if someone gets into you van and finds a locked glovebox, I imagine their first thought would be, “hmmm wonder what’s in there that needs locking away”
I doubt it would take much to force it open, with the resultant damage.
If I feel uneasy about an area I’ve had to leave my van in I quite often leave the glove box open, so at least if some scrote peers through the window they can see there’s no phone, wallet or keys in there.
If you have a 3 and 4 year old living in the van with you, you would find a lockable glove compartment as useful as we have: for medicines and treats especially.

The comfort dash does have a lockable glovebox though? See my photo above.

I know. I just wanted to be clear that the lockable glove box is not sacrificed to create one of the five open compartments of the uncomfortable dash.

Oh I see, sorry. I read your post that an added benefit of the standard dash was that it had a lockable glovebox.

Almost certainly. Photos please. :thumb
Mind you the wonderous pockets are specially reserved for us uncomfortable Beach types. They're not for the likes of you flash dash comfort followers.

Mind you the wonderous pockets are specially reserved for us uncomfortable Beach types. They're not for the likes of you flash dash comfort followers.

Your constant reference to “flash dash” and “bling” is starting to indicate a slight bitterness towards those who chose to spend an extra £500 on a £50000 vehicle which ultimately transforms the look of the interior part of the vehicle the owner spend most of their time in front of, IMO of course.
Have you looked into whether it can be retro fitted ?

Back