Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dog travel question

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
We've travelled with the hound many times and obvs done the local vet thing a couple of days before returning to the UK.

For a sub five day trip, has anyone done the vet visit in the U.K. Before departing?

Just to clarify, in theory you can have the dog ramped and stamped before leaving the uk. Proving you return within the five day period this should be ok so no need to visit a vet in Europe.

Discuss.

Interesting question. Dog regulations in some European countries is a minefield. I have been trying to understand the regulations for Norway, which seem to differ according to the country of departure. It appears that dogs entering Norway from Sweden are exempt from border checks. But different websites say different things.

The info is all on the gov.uk website. This question is specifically answered. Yes - you can get it treated in the U.K. before you go as long as your trip is less than 5 days.

Short Trips

If you’re leaving the UK for a short trip, your dog must be treated by a vet before you go. You must wait for 24 hours before re-entering the UK and return within 120 hours or you’ll need to get another treatment abroad.

You should treat your dog again within 28 days of returning to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs

Yes - they really do include ferrets in the advice.

Interesting question. Dog regulations in some European countries is a minefield. I have been trying to understand the regulations for Norway, which seem to differ according to the country of departure. It appears that dogs entering Norway from Sweden are exempt from border checks. But different websites say different things.
If you're going from UK the requirements are pretty similar as I recall.

Yes done it only a couple of weekends ago. Vet checked and wormed just prior to setting off then back before the 120 hour limit.

If you're going from UK the requirements are pretty similar as I recall.
If I understand the Norwegian regulations correctly, there is an alternative way to treat dogs for tapeworm by having the mutt treated every 28 or fewer days, and at least twice before entry to Norway, and thereafter every 28 or fewer days for re-entry. Treatment must be administered by a suitably qualified vet and recorded in the pet passport. The two to five day rule does not then apply, and in theory the pet could have been treated 27 days before arrival in Norway. If I am correct, this is helpful to us as we plan to leave the UK on 5 June and arrive in Norway on 21 June. We can have Meg and Jess treated for tapeworm on 5 May and 3 June and be OK for our entry into Norway without having to seek a vet in Lubeck or Copenhagen.
Full details here.

Yeah also worth reading up carefully on lead laws in Norway. Some rather upsetting cases were discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Yeah also worth reading up carefully on lead laws in Norway. Some rather upsetting cases were discussed elsewhere on the forum.
Those lead laws are something that concern me greatly about visiting Norway with Border Collies. How can a civilised country justify forcing healthy active dogs to be restricted to a lead for such a long time. Border collies are herders, not hunters.

Those lead laws are something that concern me greatly about visiting Norway with Border Collies. How can a civilised country justify forcing healthy active dogs to be restricted to a lead for such a long time. Border collies are herders, not hunters.
If you check out the area you are going then you can find there are places to go with dogs where the rules are relaxed. Also the rules can be seasonal in some of the mountainous areas and are relaxed once live stock brought in for the winter.
I think that Norway has a more of a culture of working dogs whereas in the UK there is a larger proportion of pets.
Having lived there for 10 years I found most people took training and welfare of their dog more seriously than many Brits and the rules did not stop the dogs having a very happy and healthy life.
If you're used to playing mental games with your collies then that combined with lead walks shouldn't be a problem and stop you enjoying a fabulous holiday in a beautiful country.

If you check out the area you are going then you can find there are places to go with dogs where the rules are relaxed. Also the rules can be seasonal in some of the mountainous areas and are relaxed once live stock brought in for the winter.
I think that Norway has a more of a culture of working dogs whereas in the UK there is a larger proportion of pets.
Having lived there for 10 years I found most people took training and welfare of their dog more seriously than many Brits and the rules did not stop the dogs having a very happy and healthy life.
If you're used to playing mental games with your collies then that combined with lead walks shouldn't be a problem and stop you enjoying a fabulous holiday in a beautiful country.
The lead requirement seems to be fairly comprehensive between 1 April and 20 August, we will be entering Norway on or about 21 June and exiting on or about 19 July.
The Norwegian text of the law is here.
Our collies like frisbee, and while I am sure we can find dog friendly parks in larger towns and cities, much of our time will be in more remote areas.

Last edited:

Yes the lead rules are only seasonal except when in cities. Hold on, I'll try and cough something up.

Edit: Ohh, I didn't see the latest reply before I posted, sorry. Anyways, being a Norwegian and growing up with dogs, I can assure you that if you have well behaved dogs and you are in a fairly remote area, then you should be fine letting them play and hang around. I am not saying it is legal by law, but it is the general approach that Norwegian dog owners have.
Just keep in mind that as you get more and more remote, the bigger are the chances that your dogs can run into sheeps and cows etc, and that is a big no no! Farmers usually wants the rules to be kept around their property/animals.

Last edited:
I can assure you that if you have well behaved dogs and you are in a fairly remote area, then you should be fine letting them play and hang around. I am not saying it is legal by law, but it is the general approach that Norwegian dog owners have.
That was what I was hoping, and is good to hear.
Just keep in mind that as you get more and more remote, the bigger are the chances that your dogs can run into sheeps and cows etc, and that is a big no no! Farmers usually wants the rules to be kept around their property/animals.
I would always put Jess on a lead around livestock, and have no problem putting Meg on a lead around livestock even though she will walk to heel through a flock of sheep. It is when there is no sign of livestock around that I would want to allow them to behave as dogs do. So I suppose as long as we behave with respect to the lead laws if not to the letter of the lead laws the risk is low. A bit like the way most motorists behave towards the speeding laws in this country: they may stick to below the posted 20mph limit outside a school Monday to Friday, but find it perfectly acceptable to stray a little above at the weekends and over holiday periods.