Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

door open alarm on dash

N

nomisp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi. I have a 2015 T5 van and a week ago the"door open " alarm suddenly came on the dash next to the speedo needle ( this model does not have the MFD in the centre). which door does this relate too ? I cannot find any obvious switches for the passenger and driver doors but have found a switch on the sliding door on the rear pillar next to the locking catch . If I press this switch manually I can hear it click so assume this is ok. Fist question is which door does the alarm relate too and secondly is there a fuse in the system that could have failed ? Nomisp

This is probably the microswitch in the door latch, they get gummed up and stop working. The microswitch is pressed by the claw that rotates in the lock that you can see with the door open. Try spraying some contact cleaner to clean up any oil/grease build up.

thanks for reply, I will look in the morning. But I am wondering what the button micro switch is next to the sliding door switch is for , its about size of a bottle cap , could that be a trigger for the internal lights up near rear view mirror. regards Nomisp

Hi. have tried spraying and cleaning but with no result, have also manually pressed a button to left of door lock , it clicks bus does not seem to have any effect on internal light . Does anyone know how to dismantle this micro switch. regards Nomisp

image1.jpeg

I meant spray and test the switches in the locks.
I'll pop out and take a quick photo.
IMG_0365.jpg

The micro switch is in this part and if catch gets gummed up with crap the microswitch can fail, have a look on youtube there a few vids of the lock showing the microswitches.

The the issue is that the locks are difficult to get out of the door, so trying to spray and clean up the microswitch through the opening of the catch is the best option for a quick fix.
If you have access to the VCDS You should be able to test which microswitches are open which are closed and therefore identify which lock it is giving you the door open symbol obviously made harder by the fact that you don't have the display telling you exactly which one it is.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that , looks as if I have some work to do. regards