Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat engine battery...how to disable alarm?

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Ok, for one reason or another we've not been able to use the Cali for the last month or so and I've not plugged it into the mains as usual.
Went to get something from it this evening, pressed unlock on the remote fob, nothing, dead. So unlocked the drivers door with the key, next thing the alarm goes off.
Cali is 5 and a bit years old now so engine battery may be nearing need of replacement but can anyone tell me how to access the vehicle when battery is dead to stop the alarm going off? I need try and charge it tomorrow but neighbours won't be happy if alarm keeps sounding.
Have been out this evening so plugged into mains before we left. Hopefully the trickle charge might have put some life back into the battery come morning.
Many thanks

Sorry, I'm a little confused. The Remote didn't work, but the vehicle alarm ( which runs of the engine battery ) does.
When did you last change the battery in your Remote Key Fob?
There is an indicator light on the Remote Fob which should flash when a button is pressed if the Remote Battery is OK.

On many cars getting past the alarm usually involves turning the key in the doorlock and the do a procedure by turning left/right....usually written in the manual ....but guess manual os in the vehicle?

Just open the door , have jump-start leads and a donor vehicle ready , connect them and disarm the alarm is what i would try.
Try it out ...

Sorry, I'm a little confused. The Remote didn't work, but the vehicle alarm ( which runs of the engine battery ) does.
When did you last change the battery in your Remote Key Fob?
There is an indicator light on the Remote Fob which should flash when a button is pressed if the Remote Battery is OK.
Thanks - indicator on remote fob is flashing so battery is OK

On many cars getting past the alarm usually involves turning the key in the doorlock and the do a procedure by turning left/right....usually written in the manual ....but guess manual os in the vehicle?

Just open the door , have jump-start leads and a donor vehicle ready , connect them and disarm the alarm is what i would try.
Try it out ...
Thanks, yes manual us in the vehicle!

Modern alarms usually have their own power supply so that they are still effective if the neer-do-wells cut the battery cables, as they did to my Golf. Some of the little scallywags go to a lot of effort to immobilise the alarm systems. There was a key hole on my alarm which you could turn it off. Might be details in the manual. Simon

For those who may be faced with a similar situation in future, if your engine battery is dead, the way to stop the alarm sounding (having manually unlocked the door) is to put the key in the ignition and turn it clockwise as far as possible. You will then be able to open the bonnet and charge the battery without the alarm sounding, or in my case, replace it! :mad: