Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door problems - electric

Hi Welsh Gas(paul), any idea what is causing my door to stop closing halfway, and then returning to full open, could it be dirty solenoid contact?
Eventually I manage to get it closed using the dash button ,sometimes manually close.
I have just travelled 3000 kms, so must have collected the normal amount of dust and crud.
Just read some of the blog on this, I will try cleaning bottom rail, and second suggestion ,possibly resetting system with ignition on?? Then open/closing door.
If no luck then read this thread. Scroll down to 1st post by VW Master Tech.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/electric-sliding-door-mystery_topic61067.html

I haven't found that to be the case. The door seems to have a mind of its own.

When it refused to close after adjusting at Breeze (6 or 7 times in a row) the MT went off to get some tools to adjust the door. I took out a dog towel from the rear and gave the inverted bottom track a wipe. Door closed.

But I will have a read on how it works because it has a hizzy fit every so often.

(In VW's defence I use the side door a lot because of the dogs)

My sliding door is a pain in the ****. The times I stand there thinking is it or isn't it going to close. It can be OK for a while and then has a blip and won't close. Keeps kicking back. Mind you it is quite therapeutic to slam it as hard as you can. Manual override. CLOSED.

Yep....mine just brushed the wheel arch again. Its a joke.

Just been cleaning the Cali ready to go in for a Lube.
Closed the door (ours is a manual closing door with the electric assist to pull it in tight) and nothing happened tried a couple of times no luck and no sound of it even trying to close. I have cleaned the contacts and still nothing.
Could it be a fuse? if so does anyone know where I can find it?
All around my door is spotlessly clean so I can't believe dirt could be an issue.
It would be handy to know how to fix it incase it happens on hols.
The door can be shut manually but it does not fully close it still sticks out a couple of millimetres.
When I lock the van the door still locks.

Just checked all fuses under the bonnet. None have blown so back to the drawing board.

Just checked all fuses under the bonnet. None have blown so back to the drawing board.

Try placing a metal contact between the middle two contacts on the frame, the motor should make a noise.Does the dash change to suggests its open or closed? If that works then many have had an intermittent problem some have cleaned the contacts both door and frame and added copper slip to the contacts.

..message ends..

Thanks @Teejay1
Yes the dash shows the door is open.
I have three contacts on the door and three on the pillar.
Do you mean make a connection between the middle one on the door and the middle one on the pillar?

Thanks @Teejay1
Yes the dash shows the door is open.
I have three contacts on the door and three on the pillar.
Do you mean make a connection between the middle one on the door and the middle one on the pillar?

Pillar frame not the door.

Well I was a bit dubious but made a connection between the middle two contacts on the pillar and bingo I heard the motor run. The door works perfectly again now. Thanks teejay I don't know what caused it but at least if it happens again on hols I or someone else will know what to do.

Well I was a bit dubious but made a connection between the middle two contacts on the pillar and bingo I heard the motor run. The door works perfectly again now. Thanks teejay I don't know what caused it but at least if it happens again on hols I or someone else will know what to do.

@Loz deserves the credit he found the solution.

Yes, on that PDF file it shows a 40amp fuse fitted near the battery in the engine compartment.
I don't know if this will help but on our first Cali we had a towbar fitted by a local company. Everything was fine except the electric sliding door which didn't open or close. After playing around with the coding (which didn't solve it) they found that it was fuse hidden under the starter battery which had to be removed to get at it.
Well I couldn’t find anything at all under my starter battery but desperate times call for desperate measures.
1708186927997.jpeg
Electric door still dead as a door nail and refusing to even shut.

Last edited:
Well I couldn’t find anything at all under my starter battery but desperate times call for desperate measures.
View attachment 119361
Electric door still dead as a door nail and refusing to even shut.
I believe the main fuses are under the battery tray.

Also check for a 40 amp fuse under front passenger seat.

I believe the main fuses are under the battery tray.

Also check for a 40 amp fuse under front passenger seat.
I think I’ve done the passenger seat one.
I think I will have another go at the engine bay and possibly fuse 44 and 51 on the dash.
IMG_4251.png
IMG_4253.jpeg
IMG_4258.jpeg