Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door electric catch problem

A

aniesigh

Hi all, got an 06 California with the soft close electric door latch setup, but its not working,
If you open the sliding door it does not show up on the dash as having the door open so i'm assuming it thinks the door is closed all the time hence it makes no effort to latch or unlatch. when the door is shut the sliding door does lock and i have removed the contacts that connect when the door is closed and they are all showing continuity through the relevant pins.
anyone got any ideas?
oh and first post on here so hello

Re: Sliding door electric catch pbroblem

Hi there and welcome
Sorry to hear of your problem maybe Alex from our sponsor smg will know what is causing
Your problem :thumb

Thanks,
Just had another little play. so it seems when the sliding door is latched shut the middle two pins on the door are connected together, this is how the vehicle knows if the door is fully shut or not.
So in my case either the two wires on the vehicle half of the 6 way door connector are shorted together somewhere, or there is a fault with the module that they go back to. anyone know where the wires go?
Cheers

Are the pins really short cutted when you check them with multimeter?
I presume there must be a fuse protecting the circuit, isn't it blown?

Well yeah, the way it knows the sliding door is shut is by detecting continuity between the two middle pins, or more likely it sends 5v up one and when it receives 5v at the other pin it knows the door is shut. So either there is a module fault or the two wires are touching somewhere between the module and the connector on the door shut, I will investigate Abit more later see if I can find where the wires go

They will probably go via a door control unit to the central electronics/convenience unit.

Just incase anyone has a similar problem and finds this thread,i worked out the sliding door electric latch is controlled by a small pcb which is buried right in the corner behind the rear heater blower unit. this unit had got a load of condensation in it which had corroded the board. new board came today, plugged it in and hey presto it works.

7h0 959 243 F is the old one (new one has a different letter at end) £73.01 + vat

Glad it's fixed. For the sake of adding this info to the thread: if a sensor fails then, until it's fixed, I'd recommend that you always open at least one other door when you unlock the van, to make sure the central locking is triggered into knowing the van is open. Otherwise, with the sensor not working you could end up with the van assuming nothing has been opened and going into the standard response of relocking itself after 40 seconds of no apparent action. OK as long as you and the keys are on the same side of the door - nightmare if you are inside and the keys are outside or vice versa, as the van will deadlock. Have come close to having this happen to me when the driver's door sensor failed

Back