Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Doors don't like freezing weather?

Thanks @kurienp I appreciate the advice. Heater on for half an hour this morning was enough to free the locks to open normally.
My 2010 T5.1 Cali door handles also freeze in very cold weather so it's not a recent issue. I'm sure water slowly seaps into the handle cavity and freezes solid. If you're ever locked out because the handles are frozen solid and all the WD40 etc is inside the van you can always pee on them!

MY20 T6.1 has a Bowden cable recall as water is getting into the outer door cable. This then freezes the cable in cold weather causing the plastic cable housing to break. The recall is to fit a rubber boot one end & dust seal the other with a reinforced plastic carrier. But water is still getting in & freezing. We had info from the factory Friday to now apply a grease to the cable to prevent water from getting in and freezing. MY21 vehicles already have the rubber boots but suffering the same issue as MY20 vehicles.

Very useful info thanks. This forum is fantastic for these little bits of knowledge. I assume you need to take the door cards off to access the cable to apply grease?

Very useful info thanks. This forum is fantastic for these little bits of knowledge. I assume you need to take the door cards off to access the cable to apply grease?
We are still awaiting info from the factory on how they want us to do this but i think they will want us to remove the cable & blow any water/moisture out of the cable before applying the grease

Well the first vehicle I have ever owned that when the temperature drops the passenger door handle doesn't release the locking mech? Had doors frozen on the seal etc but this seems that the locking mechanism freezes, works after a bit driving. Only the passenger door as that is more exposed. Pull the handle.... nothing anyone else?
I’ve just had something similar. Frost overnight so I decided to test the auxiliary heater. Went out a few minutes later to check it was working and how warm the air was coming out of the heater. Opened the door and the handle stayed open - so couldn’t close door or lock the van. After a few mins (with the heater still running) it seemed to sort itself out. But rather worrying nevertheless...

I’ve just had something similar. Frost overnight so I decided to test the auxiliary heater. Went out a few minutes later to check it was working and how warm the air was coming out of the heater. Opened the door and the handle stayed open - so couldn’t close door or lock the van. After a few mins (with the heater still running) it seemed to sort itself out. But rather worrying nevertheless...
Alison, see my post #30 above about the door handle recalls, worth checking out with the dealer.

Alison, see my post #30 above about the door handle recalls, worth checking out with the dealer.
I have read the thread. Thanks.
Due back at dealer on Monday so can mention it then. Just wanted to post so that it was clear this is (still) happening with 2021 built T6.1’s.

On the subject of the door seals, something that many people will have around the house without being DIY oriented,
you can use a shoe polish sponge, the type that apply a shine to shoes without colour, to apply a thin film of silicone to the rubber Seals
Prevents them sticking, repels water and dirt and bring them up better than new

Last edited:
On the subject of the door seals, something than many people will have around the house without being DIY oriented,
you can use a shoe polish sponge, the type that apply a shine to shoes without colour, to apply a thin film of silicone to the rubber Seals
Prevents them sticking, repels water and dirt and bring them up better than new
That'll work fine, any liquid silicone will work but I use this Gummi-Pflege regularly ...

That'll work fine, any liquid silicone will work but I use this Gummi-Pflege regularly ...
I use Gummi Pflege for all rubber on the van and my other vehicles, including under the bonnet, hoses etc (I know I’m OCD) not everyone will have Gummi or want to buy it, so just offering up other possibilities with a common household item

I have read the thread. Thanks.
Due back at dealer on Monday so can mention it then. Just wanted to post so that it was clear this is (still) happening with 2021 built T6.1’s.
Hi Alison, it never got better as the weather warmed up, it was never the door freezing to the seals it was the mechanism freezing if anything and not engaging with the handle. I will book it in with the dealer as the door mechanism now only works 9 out of 10 times. I suspect a bit of broken plastic they feel a very cheap mechanism to me.

Hi Alison, it never got better as the weather warmed up, it was never the door freezing to the seals it was the mechanism freezing if anything and not engaging with the handle. I will book it in with the dealer as the door mechanism now only works 9 out of 10 times. I suspect a bit of broken plastic they feel a very cheap mechanism to me.
Thanks. Very sad all the recalls have not solved it.

When mine froze up it was definitely the mechanism as Wogga says and @Tomdbreeze advised there was a recall to fix it. I haven’t followed it up yet because it hasnt happened again and the lock works ok but I think it needs looking at. Mine is MY21 so they obviously haven’t sorted it yet from the factory.

We have a temporary work around on the cables until a proper fix is released. But i can see if the temporary fix works then that may be the proper fix.
Any more details on the fix?

Reposition the cable and fix in an upward position then apply grease to cable
Thanks thats useful to know. Should we expect to be contacted for this to be done as a recall or do we need to ask?

Resurrecting this thread, I have this morning received a recall notice (57I1) for the replacement of the door Bowden Cables, in respect of possible freezing at low temperatures and the risk of the doors spontaneously opening when driving! My California was MY20 and collected last December. It seems a long time to of gone before getting this recall given info on this thread previously. The letter also includes the comments that if I notice the door handles to be stiff or not returning to the starting position to cease using the vehicle. All good fun.

Resurrecting this thread, I have this morning received a recall notice (57I1) for the replacement of the door Bowden Cables, in respect of possible freezing at low temperatures and the risk of the doors spontaneously opening when driving! My California was MY20 and collected last December. It seems a long time to of gone before getting this recall given info on this thread previously. The letter also includes the comments that if I notice the door handles to be stiff or not returning to the starting position to cease using the vehicle. All good fun.
Recall 57l1 is a complete new fix over the previous recall. Hopefully this recall will see the end of water ingress and locks freezing, but only time will tell.

Parts supply caused a delay, read somewhere that Nordic Countries (obviously) were top of the list.

Recall 57l1 is a complete new fix over the previous recall. Hopefully this recall will see the end of water ingress and locks freezing, but only time will tell.
What is the complete fix? Why have they changed a door system that works in the t6 as it’s the same door isn’t it ,very annoying

What is the complete fix? Why have they changed a door system that works in the t6 as it’s the same door isn’t it ,very annoying
The door is the same but its a new door lock with a different bowden cable setup to the outer handle. We have to fit a new cable which has additional sealing to stop water getting into the cable tube. We then have to cable tie the cable in a certain position so it is slightly upwards facing to stop any water that may get into the cable from going down the tube. We then have to replace a plastic cover on the lock unit with a foil tape over the cable to prevent water ingress.

The door is the same but its a new door lock with a different bowden cable setup to the outer handle. We have to fit a new cable which has additional sealing to stop water getting into the cable tube. We then have to cable tie the cable in a certain position so it is slightly upwards facing to stop any water that may get into the cable from going down the tube. We then have to replace a plastic cover on the lock unit with a foil tape over the cable to prevent water ingress.
You would think a company like vw would have things like this sorted way before it’s sold to the public

You would think a company like vw would have things like this sorted way before it’s sold to the public
Unfortunately there are teething problems with any new product. If everything was perfect 1st time i would be out of a job. Peoblems like these is how we learn more about the product how they operate and how to fix them to get it right in the future.

Back