Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dot 4 brake fluid won't flow into its resevoir?

A

Archie01

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Noticed break fluid needed topped up so tried to, but wouldn't flow into resevoir? Any one know what I need to do, to top this up, thanx Davie.

IMG_20200530_103516.jpg

As you can see, it's well below min level!

Are you saying that you are taking the lid off the reservoir, and I assume the dot4 bottle and you can't pour in some fluid? Very odd. Is the low level light on?

My first worry would be : where did the oil went ...why is it that low ?

Still that level seems very low...

It's an optical illusion. Look on the side of the reservoir not head on.

If the level was really as low, a warning light should be on on the dashboard. As mentioned before, this is probably an illusion and you have to remove the small filter under the filler cap to be sure. Very easy to do with your fingertip.

And if you do top it up, it will overflow when you replace the brake pads.

No ! This is a frequently encountered problem. When the pistons are pushed back to install the new pads, the liquid is returned to the tank, and if it has been leveled the liquid overflows. This liquid is very corrosive to the bodywork elements.

No ! This is a frequently encountered problem. When the pistons are pushed back to install the new pads, the liquid is returned to the tank, and if it has been leveled the liquid overflows. This liquid is very corrosive to the bodywork elements.
Indeed but, a skilled operative understands this and syphons off the fluid prior to retracting the pistons. Deffo not splitting the atom!

But if the fluid has dropped significantly it can only mean one of two things, either you have a leak or your pads are getting seriously thin.
If its the former you need to a bit more than just top it up, if its the latter you are going to be winding the pistons back in shortly. Either way you shouldn't need to be topping up the brake fluid.

As you can see, it's well below min level!
Has the problem been resolved?
It would be helpful for other Forum members to know if that is the case.
Its the only way in which we can help each other.:thumb:thumb

Back