Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Draining Fresh Water Tank - How often?

A

aileron346

VIP Member
Just a little thought about the fresh water tank. Does anyone know what the general recommendation is for draining? Obviously as part of winterising the van, but what about intervals between trip outside winter? In terms of keeping the whole system clean and fresh is it better kept full when nit in use? or empty? Thanks for any advice.

I tend to keep it empty when not camping in the van as I use it as a daily drive. This is more about keeping weight down than anything else.
I try to rinse it out at least once a year with a small amount of Milton fluid as a disinfectant. Have to rinse it thoroughly afterwards else tea tastes strange !!

I flush mine through after every trip.

A milton tab in the fresh water, then run the tap and let it fill the waste tank, then drain waste.

Flush it through again with fresh water.

GrannyJen said:
I flush mine through after every trip.

A milton tab in the fresh water, then run the tap and let it fill the waste tank, then drain waste.

Flush it through again with fresh water.

Blimey I'm on a water meter :laugh2 :laugh2 maybe I should do it on site before I leave :thumb

Can't you run a hose pipe from next door? :?

Good idea I will investigate :thumb at night of course :laugh2

Talking of tank cleaning, what products do people use. I have used Milton thus far which seems to be OK but I have always wondered if a chlorine based product is OK with any metal components, valves etc?

We use Milton - but only once per season.

At the end of each holiday we tend to open the clean water valve before we set off so it drains on the way home. Then fill it up for each trip - actually normally half fill it just to save lugging around loads of water!