Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive Away Awning - advice please!

Hi Pippa,

I wanted a drive away awning for all our gear- for us and our two boys- we really couldn’t do without it. I’ll also comment on the bikes.

We’ve got the outdoor revolution classic, the one with the airframe. Been using it for three years and love it. Though historically I have always been a fan of Outwell tents but couldn’t find a drive away awning by them when I was looking.

I would definitely get an air frame tent as it makes pitching and especially packing away, much quicker.

(A note here, I don’t believe peoples’ times for putting up/taking down the tent! Takes me about a minimum of 30 mins to do both- it’s a nonesense to suggest it takes 10 to 15 mins because you want to arrange your stuff in there and that sort of thing. I don’t think people are intentionally being deceptive, I just think people really underestimate the time)

Bikes- the best accidental decision we made for our bikes is using a tow ball mounted carrier. The carrier tilts out of the way (with bikes on) for access to the boot anytime. And when you’re on site you’ve got something to lock your bikes to.

(A note here, I don’t believe peoples’ times for putting up/taking down the tent! Takes me about a minimum of 30 mins to do both- it’s a nonesense to suggest it takes 10 to 15 mins because you want to arrange your stuff in there and that sort of thing. I don’t think people are intentionally being deceptive, I just think people really underestimate the time)
I can assure you that the cayman tail was a 10 - 15 min job because we timed it and did a time lapse video, can’t remember exact time but it’s easy. it’s literally two crossed rods and pegging out hardly a complex job. It has no inner either so it’s fast. In fact we were surprised how fast it was at the time. Plenty of folks saw us pitch it at the Brean sands meet and saw how fast it was. I’ll try and find the video.

I don’t include setting up the inside because we don’t have anything significant in there except chairs and table we only use when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can assure you that the cayman tail was a 10 - 15 min job because we timed it and did a time lapse video, can’t remember exact time but it’s easy. it’s literally two crossed rods and pegging out hardly a complex job. It has no inner either so it’s fast. In fact we were surprised how fast it was at the time. Plenty of folks saw us pitch it at the Brean sands meet and saw how fast it was. I’ll try and find the video.

I don’t include setting up the inside because we don’t have anything significant in there except chairs and table we only use when needed.

I agree Matt, you can do awnings quickly. Get yourself a good awning and then a good organised system to erect it. If the weather’s bad or you’re pushed for time, get it up quick, if it’s nice you can take your time, make a cuppa, have a glass of what you fancy and chillax a bit.

Over the years we’ve bought several awnings for different camping scenarios. Our main one for hols over 4 days long is the Khyam quick erect tourer. On our long summer hol we take an extension for it too (we call it the “west wing”). For a shorter time when we need a bit of space next to the van (to cook, dry the dog, keep wet coats and muddy boots, etc) we have a pole &sleeve Outdoor Revolution outhouse handy. We also have 3 other awnings that I have bought, under the stairs. One older Khyam that I keep for spares but the other 2 (that I bought) just didn’t work out (but to maintain domestic bliss we don’t mention them).

None of them have a sewn in groundsheet. We do all sorts of camping so it wouldn’t be practical for us and in the summer it’s so lovely to have a grass “carpet”.

Our old Hiace was a different configuration to the Cali and the back door was accessible. If the weather was bad we’d have a green tarp set up from the back of the hi-top and out/over the side awning so we could move round without getting wet. In sun, the same setup kept the van cool for the dog and outside the back door is where we cooked in good weather. We also used a tarp wherever else we needed it as a windbreak. We had plenty of space to transport all this in the back because all the bedding was stored in the hi-top.

Anyway, the quick erect is quick and easy to put up, even on my own, the only pain is, if you pack away wet you need somewhere to open it up to dry (the shell is connected to the frame). We also have an inner bedroom for it for 2 people, but only 1 comfortably so only used it once. The Outhouse Handy is also easy to put up (it’s a bit like Matts tailgate awning without the windows and is more for storage/utility than sitting in.

Something we do is never attach the awning tight up to the van. We wind out the van’s side awning to whatever depth we can get away with on the pitch. That way if we drive away we don’t need to park in exactly the same place when we get back and we can adjust the amount of roll out to maintain a tight connecting tunnel. I also like the extra space and in bad weather we use good quality grey shower curtains as door panels to fill the gaps at the side. That space is excellent for cooking undercover outside the van.

I have never fancied an air awning. We see lots of people exhausting themselves as they pump them up. The inner tubes make them heavier than I would like. We have also seen 2 families at different times unable to set up because of punctures. But I know that a lot of people love and prefer them.

I’m hoping that when we get the Cali we can work out a flexible system with what we’ve got already.

As we’ll have a wind out awning on the door side to connect a driveaway to and a rail on the other side we could go mad (on a less regulated campsite of course) and have an awning both sides (Star Wars x-wing stylee). Maybe adding the “west wing”, the tailgate one and a couple of tarps strategically placed. Would be good for a family gathering. Or perhaps as a conference centre, lol.

Last edited:

I’m going to accurately time myself on the next occasion- I’ll give a break down of just tent set up and ‘fully’ set up!

I’ll try and be less passive aggressive in future!

I agree Matt, you can do awnings quickly. Get yourself a good awning and then a good organised system to erect it. If the weather’s bad or you’re pushed for time, get it up quick, if it’s nice you can take your time, make a cuppa, have a glass of what you fancy and chillax a bit.

Over the years we’ve bought several awnings for different camping scenarios. Our main one for hols over 4 days long is the Khyam quick erect tourer. On our long summer hol we take an extension for it too (we call it the “west wing”). For a shorter time when we need a bit of space next to the van (to cook, dry the dog, keep wet coats and muddy boots, etc) we have a pole &sleeve Outdoor Revolution outhouse handy. We also have 3 other awnings that I have bought, under the stairs. One older Khyam that I keep for spares but the other 2 (that I bought) just didn’t work out (but to maintain domestic bliss we don’t mention them).

None of them have a sewn in groundsheet. We do all sorts of camping so it wouldn’t be practical for us and in the summer it’s so lovely to have a grass “carpet”.

Our old Hiace was a different configuration to the Cali and the back door was accessible. If the weather was bad we’d have a green tarp set up from the back of the hi-top and out/over the side awning so we could move round without getting wet. In sun, the same setup kept the van cool for the dog and outside the back door is where we cooked in good weather. We also used a tarp wherever else we needed it as a windbreak. We had plenty of space to transport all this in the back because all the bedding was stored in the hi-top.

Anyway, the quick erect is quick and easy to put up, even on my own, the only pain is, if you pack away wet you need somewhere to open it up to dry (the shell is connected to the frame). We also have an inner bedroom for it for 2 people, but only 1 comfortably so only used it once. The Outhouse Handy is also easy to put up (it’s a bit like Matts tailgate awning without the windows and is more for storage/utility than sitting in.

Something we do is never attach the awning tight up to the van. We wind out the van’s side awning to whatever depth we can get away with on the pitch. That way if we drive away we don’t need to park in exactly the same place when we get back and we can adjust the amount of roll out to maintain a tight connecting tunnel. I also like the extra space and in bad weather we use good quality grey shower curtains as door panels to fill the gaps at the side. That space is excellent for cooking undercover outside the van.

I have never fancied an air awning. We see lots of people exhausting themselves as they pump them up. The inner tubes make them heavier than I would like. We have also seen 2 families at different times unable to set up because of punctures. But I know that a lot of people love and prefer them.

I’m hoping that when we get the Cali we can work out a flexible system with what we’ve got already.

As we’ll have a wind out awning on the door side to connect a driveaway to and a rail on the other side we could go mad (on a less regulated campsite of course) and have an awning both sides (Star Wars x-wing stylee). Maybe adding the “west wing”, the tailgate one and a couple of tarps strategically placed. Would be good for a family gathering. Or perhaps as a conference centre, lol.
Some of our setups

1/ Corfe Castle, Camping & Caravanning Cub. We booked early and requested pitch one (the biggest). When we arrived they laughed and said they’d made a mistake and allocated pitch 1 to our tiny van. When we pitched they were astonished every time we added on another bit. Swiss Army knife style camping ! Took a bit longer than 15 mins, but worth the effort for 12 days in glorious summer weather. When we detached we only needed 1 extra tent pole to hold the tarp corner that wasn’t attached/supported.
93DCC0E6-4CA5-4BE4-8551-5245BB4BF7EE.jpeg

2/ Hawes, Yorkshire Dales, Caravan Club. A really cold spring gale blowing into the front of the setup. We used a tarp as a wind break. Only there for 4 days and we did a lot of walking locally so didn’t detach.

3C388719-2F27-4819-82B9-334B3B4851DD.jpeg

3/ Southwell folk festival, June. Nice and sunny when we pitched, then torrential rain and flooded awning (6 inches in 30 mins) so repitched and really had to hunker down. Rained so hard that weekend one of the festival marquees collapsed under the weight! Lucky we took an enclosed awning as we had a lot of wet coats, boots and towels - and the dog.
C0DA2E36-E08A-4B44-BE16-9AC6429F63C6.jpeg

4/ West Runton, Caravan Club. A lovely sunny spring bank weekend. Just 4 days, hence the smaller, utility awning. Loads of space though with the wind out awning and a lovely spring, by the sea, breeze/air flow.

1E088C52-3BCD-4526-8D56-015F3AC71271.jpeg

We were so sad to lose Vic Van in October, but it prompted us to order the Cali we’d been thinking of and saving up for. Shouldn’t be too long now as 10 days ago it was built and ready to be shipped. Excited and looking forward to seeing what awning configurations I’ll come up with. I know I’ll drive poor Charlie, my hubby, crazy but after 10 years of camping in Vic he just lets me get on with it and is ready to be called when I need him to hold the end of a guy rope, bungee or piece of string. Love is . . . . .

Hi there, we have just bought a beach and have exactly same issue as you- 3 kids and 3 car seats. We just use a £25 2 man tent at moment and it does the job. I was tempted by a drive away awning but so far are happy with the factory fit awning and tent option. Reckon it's best to try the £25 option before diving into a £500 option.
Thing about a driveaway awning is the tunnel links to the van or wind out awning. A/ it creates a lot of extra space and loo can be situated there at night. B/ you are protected from the weather: rain (on you guys but also inside the van when you open the door), hot sun and wind. C/ it’s easy to connect/disconnect. D/ they’re designed to be stood up in, so easy to move about in.

You can also usually get sleeping compartments to “store” the kids in.

Last edited:
Got to be the best option till you test it all out I recon. Wish I'd bought the Cali years ago had such a good weekend in the rain!! Does anyone know if the popup roof is actually water proof? Thought I read somewhere it's sower prof? Would love to know before I get flooded out!
It’s canvas, some people report water ingress if it gets touched (capillary action). It is worth getting some kind of topper. I am waiting for my Cali to be delivered and one of the things that bothered me was if the canvas is wet and you put the roof down you’re enclosing that wet/damp. So I think a waterproof topper will be essential. There are 2 outer types:
  1. Calitopper type that fits over the whole roof/bellows
  2. Rainbow company type that fits around the canvas only
Both have pros and cons. The Bus and Beyond bloggers, Sean & Lizzy, have a really good comparison video:

Still great, the sewn in groundsheet can be a problem on some sites, otherwise we find it ideal. The packed awning fits lengthwise under the bed frame leaving plenty of room for the 64 ltr really useful box alongside.
We have only used it twice as we tend to stay for only a couple of nights on camp sites when touring. Will expect to use it more this year with children/grandchildren coming with us on some trips.
You can get tougher footprint sheets to go under your attached groundsheet when on gravel or stones ground.

Hi, I’m new to all this just bought our Beach last year planning our first proper trip soon & want to get a drive away awning to go on the side, looking through threads trying to find out how to connect one to the existing Cali awning as don’t really fancy trying to remove it. Have my eye on a Vango cruzII whixh come with a 6mm kador strip already attached, so I am trying to find a post which would explain what size of attachment I need to get, looks like the options are 6 to 6 or 6 to 4 figure of 8. Can’t find a thread which tells me this, but just Saw your thread & the picture of your van & awning wondered if you could help explain how to connect it all up & what size attachment I need. Thanks in advance for your help. Z

We are also new to this; had our ocean about a year, bought a Vango Cruz in prep of a big European trip (in April ). Only used the awning twice so far (mainly just a run through) and on my own, my partner was heavily pregnant and didn’t fancy a winter weekend in the van (who can blame her!)... ...anyway, long story short; it is brilliant. Easy to put up on my own, once I got it the right way round!! Practice makes perfect; and the driving away is easy. Hardest part was fitting it all back into the bags, but I struggle with sleeping bags, so go figure!! Anyway, I would recommend on my limited experience...

We are also new to this; had our ocean about a year, bought a Vango Cruz in prep of a big European trip (in April ). Only used the awning twice so far (mainly just a run through) and on my own, my partner was heavily pregnant and didn’t fancy a winter weekend in the van (who can blame her!)... ...anyway, long story short; it is brilliant. Easy to put up on my own, once I got it the right way round!! Practice makes perfect; and the driving away is easy. Hardest part was fitting it all back into the bags, but I struggle with sleeping bags, so go figure!! Anyway, I would recommend on my limited experience...

Didn’t actually answer the thread; just had to unwind sun awning slightly and slide the drive away section in and then wind in slightly... easy and solid connection, but easy to disconnect...

Interesting reading through this thread. In terms of security, whether on a UK site or in Europe, is there any effective ways of keeping your belongings secure in a drive-away awning?

Interesting reading through this thread. In terms of security, whether on a UK site or in Europe, is there any effective ways of keeping your belongings secure in a drive-away awning?
Not really. It’s not worth padlocking the zips, they just cut the fabric.

You can get tougher footprint sheets to go under your attached groundsheet when on gravel or stones ground.
I know, but I still prefer nothing underfoot if I can. I always feel a bit claustrophobic with a groundsheet, so only use one if on grass and it’s wet.

4 up in a Cali for more than a couple of days, defo worth getting an drive away awning. I’m away in a couple of weeks at Big Bang bus Santapod, six people: two up, two down, two in the awning !

CDCD1C8A-5F01-4D92-8EA7-03898DC488C0.jpeg06B23B9F-2B75-49FA-ACFD-B99C80E266BE.jpeg

Quechua no longer sell their Base pop up tent and used eBay prices can be more than the old rrp.

A company called Cinch! make a similar product that is available via crowd funding, but they aren’t due to be delivered to U.K. customers until mid September...frustrating for those of us who backed the campaign and expected delivery in June!

As an interim measure we bought the Khyam Motordome Dub Hub drive away awning, mostly because it’s quick and easy to put up on your own and provides a good 3m x 3m footprint next to the van.

View attachment 36138

Camping with it this week has given us valuable space and shelter. I really cannot see how we would have managed without it, it’s also gives you a buffer between your pitch and the next.

How do you find folding the khyam dub hub?
I received my Dub Hub XL and put it up and down the other day.
It was nicely folded when new and was still fairly big. It is now twice the size after I took it down.
I smiled when I saw the size of the bag and the extra room in the bag and though I will probably need that. I wasn’t wrong, I filled it.
I’m glad I tried it first so I will have enough space when I take it away.
It seams impossible to fold in any way to make it compact?

How do you find folding the khyam dub hub?
I received my Dub Hub XL and put it up and down the other day.
It was nicely folded when new and was still fairly big. It is now twice the size after I took it down.
I smiled when I saw the size of the bag and the extra room in the bag and though I will probably need that. I wasn’t wrong, I filled it.
I’m glad I tried it first so I will have enough space when I take it away.
It seams impossible to fold in any way to make it compact?
I have the same issue, like you say, it’s a good job the bag is 50% larger.

Thought that I'd add to this thread rather than start a new one.

We off to France this summer for an 8 day camp and I need to use the awning in my avatar for the first time with the California. We essentially want to connect the driveaway awning onto the extended wind out awning that came attached to the van.

We had a trial one afternoon this summer and whilst the it was relatively easy to connect the driveaway awning when it was not pegged down, this was not the case when we wanted to drive away and reconnect. My wife ended up supporting the windout awning whilst I edged the van forward to disconnect and reversed the van to reconnect.

I can't help think that there must be something I am missing, I seem to recall you can buy a strip a little like a curtain rail to interconnect. Anyway hopefully someone knows the answer, thanks in advane. Marty

Thought that I'd add to this thread rather than start a new one.

We off to France this summer for an 8 day camp and I need to use the awning in my avatar for the first time with the California. We essentially want to connect the driveaway awning onto the extended wind out awning that came attached to the van.

We had a trial one afternoon this summer and whilst the it was relatively easy to connect the driveaway awning when it was not pegged down, this was not the case when we wanted to drive away and reconnect. My wife ended up supporting the windout awning whilst I edged the van forward to disconnect and reversed the van to reconnect.

I can't help think that there must be something I am missing, I seem to recall you can buy a strip a little like a curtain rail to interconnect. Anyway hopefully someone knows the answer, thanks in advane. Marty
Yep, double sided kador strip and figure of 8 plastic sleeves

Back