Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive the Deal / Buying New

I can confirm that the DTD price does also include the 2 free services (if you take finance, as well as the £750 deposit contribution). DTD told me it probably did not but the dealer told me it definitely does.

The offer is a VW offer and not specific to any dealer but to be sure I asked for confirmation in writing when I ordered.

It's a shame my local dealer couldn't get near the DTD price - I would have preferred to order from him as he'd been very helpful. If he'd been out by a few hundred I would have been tempted but the DTD saving is over £1500.

Even if you don't need finance it makes sense to take it - pay a large deposit and take it over a short term. The APR is 4.8% and you can settle whenever you like - you'll then qualify for the £750 and free services.

I'm getting really close to ordering now. Just one thing bothering me...

Had an email from VW sales today stating:

"VW have an offer on at the moment where any hire purchase agreement taken out with them between now and the end of the year attracts 2 free services.
The condition is that you must take delivery by the end of March which given factory delivery is being quoted at 19 weeks is going to be very tight. You could settle it up after a month but there would be an early termination fee and you would have to pay a setup fee to start with. "

Of course, I'll have to find out the set-up and termination fees from him (feel free to tell me your experiences).

My question is: Were you also advised about needing to take delivery before the end of March to get the two free services? Thinking especially of Plinky and ChocolateEclair here.

Hi Acer, spoke to my dealer yesterday about the same thing, i have ordered mine but asked if i could take advantage of this offer.
The £750 deposit contribution is only on a PCP purchase.
The HP deal has an acceptance fee of £169 and final purchase fee of £79, the loan has to be at least 10% of the purchase price and the apr is something like 17.7% interest.
Because of this i am not bothering with all the hassle etc, the two services add up to £440 so take away the fees (£248) leaves you only £192 better off if you settle the debt immediately.
Is it worth it? Not for me.

Acer - I was told the only condition of receiving the 2 free services was that you order before the end of the year. I ordered 2 weeks ago and have an expected delivery date of 1st March.

Larrylamb - I believe the £750 and free services were only if you took VW's PCP Solutions finance - not HP. The solutions rate is currently 4.8%.

Yes £750 and 2 free services with the pcp solutions finance ( max deposit of 33% )

2 free services with the standard Hire Purchase agreement (max deposit 90% )fees i mentioned previously

on orders before 31st December.

I dislike the idea of taking any sort of finance. What a mess! (And too much like the day job!) If the saving was a couple of hundred more I would have to do it because I don't like waste, but I agree with Larrylamb that it feels worth paying £192 to make all of that go away.

It does seem that the deal you get varies on which franchise you deal with though. Plinky seemed to get a good deal, and I know you are near me. Interested to know who you went with. Similarly, interested to know if anyone can recommend their dealer for service and product knowledge.

Aaahhh! I'm old enough (just about) to remember when paying cash meant you got something cheaper!

Paying cash is a no-no these days.

I bought a kitchen last year. £16,500 if you pay us in notes, £15,800 if you buy it on finance!

Bought it on finance and settled three months later in cash with the finance company. No early repayment penalties.

The problem for me is that I have the cash but not any income at the moment..I'm having to re-define what I'm doing due to illness, which may make it difficult for me to get to get income based finance...My saving from my dealer was a few hundred on DTD, but If i had been able to get finance, would have saved a couple of hundred with DTD (removing the £750 they refund with finance) . For me, it's probably easier to keep things straightforward and just do a cash deal. The main thing is to get the van and get away to warm, stress free climes :)

Yes, we are all buying this beauty for relaxation, but I haven't been as stressed about anything for a while. Almost there now though - the mists are clearing.

Acer - I felt your stress!

The next stage for me was, did I choose the right colour, the right wheels.... :crazy

I'm now out the other side and just looking forward to whatever is delivered!

I think the free servicing is up for negotiation, maybe. When we bought ours last March the advertised deal was four (two full, two interim) services if you used the finance deal. We paid cash but the sales person threw in the service deal anyway.

Good to know Larkrise - a final negotiation tool maybe. Many thanks.

I have put together an order sheet now, so not far behind you ChocolateEclair and Plinky. Next the haggle! DTD gives you so much more confidence in this regard. (Perhaps, this has contributed to dealers having to work much harder on finance.)

I'll let you know how I get on.

Acre
Not sure where you are located but have you tried speaking to Hugh at SMG they are one of the forum sponsors and out of all the dealers I spoke to in person where probably the most knowledgeable, also found Manchester Van Centre to be good and responsive.

Once you know your exact spec there's always a deal to be done I too remember the good old days when cash was king.

I did my own dealer searching and also used DTD like others on here I was set to use DTD but at the final our a direct dealer came back and matched the price so I ordered end of Oct to get the pre price increase. Dealer has just contacted me and said that I can also qualify for the two services van due around March next year. So I think that's good service.

I know several people who have bought cars from DTD and they all have had very good experiences. If dealer hadn't matched then I would have gone with DTD as it was 2k saving and that makes a huge difference if you are going down a finance route.

Hope that helps

ibis64, did you take the vw finance to qualify for the 2 free services?

vw smallprint

"^Free servicing when purchased with Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Finance. Offer available on new Amarok, Caddy, Crafter, Transporter, Transporter Shuttle, Caravelle and California vehicles purchased on Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Finance before 31st of December 2014. Services must be used consecutively prior to vehicle reaching 8 years old. Minimum amount financed £1,500. Terms & Conditions apply. Finance subject to status. Available to 18s and over in the UK only subject to availability from participating Van Centres. This offer may be varied or withdrawn at any time. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Finance, Freepost Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles."
©

Thanks Ibis 64, Manchester is a long way to go for me.

Trouble is, Plinky it seems you can't go the PCP route with a big deposit re. Larrylamb's earlier post...

"Yes £750 and 2 free services with the pcp solutions finance ( max deposit of 33% )"

Yes Acer, and you were correct with your previous posting re PCP.

There is an interesting situation developing at VW commercial affecting the £1500 deal.. Here is the website page where the deal , quoted on the forum, is stated. ( look at bottom of web page)

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/offer ... fornia-se/

Vw dealers have been told that the £1500 deal does not apply to California's, though as you can see, the website says it does.

DTD say its a VW mistake, or at least thats what they told me...
My dealer said VW policy is officially that on VW California's, the minimum is £10,000, not £1500

If your planning on taking out the deal with £1500 finance, you might want to clarify matters.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone got that deal from a local dealer?

2.Has DTD actually said it would allow that deal for anyone?

Spoke to my dealer about this on Wednesday, he said the £1500 doesn't apply to the Cali, minimum loan is 10% of purchase price so about £4500- 5000 on hp to qualify for the 2 free services but don't forget to add on the fees as i mentioned earlier of £169 + £79 and note the high interest rate too.

VW website T & C does say this offer may be varied.

Well, I'm going to try to use it as a bargaining tool....lots of bluster and smoke to try to get those free services anyway....All's fair in love and camper van sales.

as long as that bluster and smoke doesn't start coming from out of our shiny new engines everyone should be happy ;)

Here is the reply from VW HQ regarding the £1500 deal.

"Although the only campaigns on California is PCP or 10 year HP, neither of which can borrow £1500. We do still offer standard HP deals where the customer can borrow £1500 and will still get 2 free services, although COL currently does not have the FPS showing, it will do!!"

Thanks, Plinky