Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driveway Security Camera

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Can anyone recommend a camera for the driveway that doesn't cost the earth?

Would a Ring doorbell camera be good enough? Ideally need something that doesn't require a spark coming round to wire up mains to it. Rind do other battery and solar ones but they get mixed reviews.

Ring Doorbells are good, as are their current external cameras. Really easy to setup (provided in range of broadband signal), adjust & then just pay an annual fee for cloud based recording; We have never had an issue with Solar or Battery.

We have a three Nest Outdoor IQ cameras. Excellent picture quality even at night. One of them went faulty after 18 months, Nest sent a new camera without question. Very happy.

We have a three Nest Outdoor IQ cameras. Excellent picture quality even at night. One of them went faulty after 18 months, Nest sent a new camera without question. Very happy.
Just bought one and awaiting delivery so glad to hear its good!

Have the same, very happy with the quality as long as you have the band width and wifi reach. Not cheap but neither is the Cali.

Thanks do you think the Nest IQ is worth the extra £.over the standard one? Standard is about £150 and IQ I found for £270 ish

hi Halfords have these on sale now for £50 .00 we have one quite good .1593707327494.png

Thanks do you think the Nest IQ is worth the extra £.over the standard one? Standard is about £150 and IQ I found for £270 ish
Can’t remember the spec between them both but chose the iQ over the standard due to spec. I also believe Nest/Google are doing a promotion at the moment on there site. https://store.google.com/gb/product/nest_aware

Will

I have one standard outdoor Nest and 2 of the outdoor IQ. Chalk and cheese, don't bother with the standard one. It's pants.

City Plumbing Supplies often have good prices on Nest products.

These kinds of pleas usually fall on deaf ears, but please be aware of the potential privacy issues with these devices. I've no problem if people are aware and still go ahead, but many blunder into a purchase completely oblivious to potential pitfalls of poor privacy controls, default passwords, etc.
:

If anyone does get one, make sure you know what it's doing with your data, and how to control this:

And turn on two-factor authentication:

Also, the ICO says you might need to follow CCTV rules if your video captures anyone outside the boundary of your property (and they specifically mention doorbells):

We have Nest cam’s both indoor and ou.
Pleased to see that the subscription model has changed recently, allowing you to pay for the house regardless of the number of camera’s you have.

Last year we had our garage broken into before CCTV. I’ve since put up CCTV externally to cover the outside of the garage, only to spot last month 2 scrotes breaking into my garage again, damaging to door beyond repair. The internal garage alarm (new since previous break in) was triggered, scaring them off.
So, just a reminder, the CCTV doesn’t prevent all crime, but it did capture the event!
The Nest can notify you of movement within zones, but I chose not to have this due to spiders crawling across the lens triggering this.

We have Nest cam’s both indoor and ou.
Pleased to see that the subscription model has changed recently, allowing you to pay for the house regardless of the number of camera’s you have.

Last year we had our garage broken into before CCTV. I’ve since put up CCTV externally to cover the outside of the garage, only to spot last month 2 scrotes breaking into my garage again, damaging to door beyond repair. The internal garage alarm (new since previous break in) was triggered, scaring them off.
So, just a reminder, the CCTV doesn’t prevent all crime, but it did capture the event!
The Nest can notify you of movement within zones, but I chose not to have this due to spiders crawling across the lens triggering this.
What alarm did you get for your garage?

What alarm did you get for your garage?
We use an Amazon Alexa Flex, with the associated motion sensor. (For sale from a certain large online retailer.)
I then have a few Amazon routines setup to do different things depending on the time of day.
Eg, if daytime, send me a notification to the phone.
If night time, turn on lots of lights, play an alarm noise, speak a set phase and notify too.

It was a quick and simple device to setup, plus it has benefits of working as an intercom to the house and I can play music too. (NB you’ll need WiFi coverage in the garage for it to work.)

I toyed with a more robust solution, but saw this as a £40 elegant temp solution. I’m holding out for the Nest Secure Home alarm system to be released in the UK and then will install this in the house and garage.

Would a Ring doorbell camera be good enough? Ideally need something that doesn't require a spark coming round to wire up mains to it. Rind do other battery and solar ones but they get mixed reviews.
Nope...I have an Arlo Ultra wireless camera and a definite DON’T BUY....all hype unfortunately

Thanks all. Thank i will go for a Nest iq. Cheapest I found it is £267, and the monthly fees are a bit steep but I think it will be the best option.

Also I can’t get anything that has a hub as all my spare Ethernet sockets are being used up by other stuff.

Also I can’t get anything that has a hub as all my spare Ethernet sockets are being used up by other stuff.

Could you not add a network switch? Easy way to expand any network. The ip cameras are far cheaper than Nest etc, albeit need a bit of work to configure them.

We have a ring doorbell and it gives a great view of the driveway. It also alerts your phone if anyone comes on your drive. Yearly cost is peanuts if you decide to register in order to have access to past videos

Hi I have 3 neos cams round the house. 1 points through glass onto driveway. I also have 1 inside the Cali. About £20 each. Noise & motion detection. Phone alerts with vid capture.

Arlo is a good and expandable solution. We also have an Arlo Go camera for protecting the van when travelling. Network charges are only £4 a month through VF.

Be aware. Data Protection.

The best CCTV...?

None.
They are so widespread now, that the majority of crooks are well covered up in hoodies and clothing making it almost impossible to identify them.

Secondly. My sister had her car pinched in the night last year. They broke into her house and took the keys whilst the family slept.

So that was quite upsetting in itself.

The more worrying part was seeing the neighbours CCTV footage a couple of days later of 4 butch and tooled up gangsters entering my sisters house.
She hasn’t slept properly since seeing that footage and wishes she hadn’t seen it...