Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving in Alps. Snowchains not possible on 235/55 R17? - Should I change my order to 215/60 or get Autosocks?

A

a892374923874

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have a Beach on order with 235/55 R17 all weather tyres specced. I have just read that snow chains are not available for this tyre, only the 215/60 tyre. I do expect to drive to to the Alps (Val Thorens area) once a year. We won't be sleeping in the van, just driving up the hill.

I believe I have the following options.
  1. Try and change my order to 215/60 all weather tyres (additional £150) and get some chains (£150 for a pair)
  2. Get a pair of Autosocks (£70). I think these are now accepted in Europe, and that I only need one pair on the front wheels.
  3. Get a 2nd set of 17" wheels with 215/60 winter tyres (£500 2nd hand), and change the wheels around twice a year.
Autosock seems the easiest and cheapest options for a potential once a year requirement.

I have not yet had the joy of putting chains on wheels halfway up a mountain but just trying to plan ahead and be legal and safe when I do so.

Any consensus on the best way to do this?

Cheers.

Hi

We have exactly the same wheels and do the same journey twice during the ski season. We have RUD Easy to Go chains that are really simple to put on. Just make sure you take them off while you are there as last time I left mine on for the eek and they have left perminant marks where they were touching the wheels.

Hi

We have exactly the same wheels and do the same journey twice during the ski season. We have RUD Easy to Go chains that are really simple to put on. Just make sure you take them off while you are there as last time I left mine on for the eek and they have left perminant marks where they were touching the wheels.
Ah, that's good to know. They appear to be £185, and if they fit the existing tyres, and I need chains regardless of tyre type, then that looks like a good option. Anyone tried any other chains on this size tyre?

I have a Beach on order with 235/55 R17 all weather tyres specced. I have just read that snow chains are not available for this tyre, only the 215/60 tyre. I do expect to drive to to the Alps (Val Thorens area) once a year. We won't be sleeping in the van, just driving up the hill.

1. Try and change my order to 215/60 all weather tyres (additional £150) and get some chains (£150 for a pair)
  2. Get a pair of Autosocks (£70). I think these are now accepted in Europe, and that I only need one pair on the front wheels.
  3. Get a 2nd set of 17" wheels with 215/60 winter tyres (£500 2nd hand), and change the wheels around twice a year.
Autosock seems the easiest and cheapest options for a potential once a year requirement.

I have not yet had the joy of putting chains on wheels halfway up a mountain but just trying to plan ahead and be legal and safe when I do so.

Cheers.

Roofbox company do a whole range of ‘Ladder track’ snow chains that will fit the 235/55/R17 tyres, but they are at the high end of cost.

We used snow socks on my mates van skiing in February this year. I found them much easier to put on and take off than chains and they got us up to the resort in fresh snow no problem. Some also claim to be compliant with French requirements for snow chains.

Cheers.
Buy my as new 17”
215/60 winter wheels and tyres in the for sale section

Last edited:
Buy my as new 17 winter wheels and tyres in the for sale section
Yes, your for sale post prompted my thread! :) I think chain or sock is probably the more suitable option for me to start with. Bearing in mind I'll only be doing that drive occasionally and only a percentage of those journeys will need chains. And I'll need chains anyway even with winter tyres.

The Rud chains are much cheaper than the alternatives on roofbox. So looking into those.

Yep it’s nice to have winter/4 season tyres all year round with driving on muddy camp sites ect.there Awsome on wet grass mud...also I thought you had to have tyres with the snowflake on when driving in the alps.i have 4 seasons and cheap chains for the extreme weather in the alps

Yep it’s nice to have winter/4 season tyres all year round with driving on muddy camp sites ect.there Awsome on wet grass mud...also I thought you had to have tyres with the snowflake on when driving in the alps.i have 4 seasons and cheap chains for the extreme weather in the alps
I have still have my winter tyres on, the only downside is the wear rate on hotter tarmac. My fronts are nearly done and have no more than 8k on them!

I have still have my winter tyres on, the only downside is the wear rate on hotter tarmac. My fronts are nearly done and have no more than 8k on them!
Odd that boris we sold our last California with around 8k on the clock it wasn’t used day to day,just at weekend and for holidays winter and summer and the factory winter/4seasons we’re still as new.

No idea, maybe down to brand, these are Avon’s and they are winter rather than 4 season. They did perform really well in the snow/slush but I really should have taken them off after our last Alps trip. Live and learn.

Cheers.
I bought these last Winter for the Alps .

5788F8B6-7EEB-439E-9FCE-796350620B96.jpeg

Thanks, they're the ones I've been looking at. Any issues with them? How difficult are they to get on and off? Why does VW say that snowchains are not to be used with 235/55/17?

Thanks, they're the ones I've been looking at. Any issues with them? How difficult are they to get on and off? Why does VW say that snowchains are not to be used with 235/55/17?
I am not sure why VW would say that . These are thin and designed for heavy load . Tried them on wheel and seems to fit fine . However not used in snow yet . I have Cross Climates on 4 motion and going up to Méribel roads were fine . However we left in heavy snow and going down we nearly had to put them on as was getting a bit hairy ! Was reassuring to know they were there in case we needed them

I used chains on my 235s no problem?

Hi jay just came across this thread do you still have your wheels for sale by any chance
Hi no they sold a while back sorry.. good luck finding some

Hi no they sold a while back sorry.. good luck finding some
No worries thanks anyhow just wondering if the reason for 215/60 allows chains to fit opposed to the 235 width as I’m also finding a few mixed answers - all the best

No worries thanks anyhow just wondering if the reason for 215/60 allows chains to fit opposed to the 235 width as I’m also finding a few mixed answers - all the best
I had 4season 235s on my last California here’s a picture with snow chains no issues whatsoever

5ACEC424-2B3B-4EBC-8CD6-1B613DAF594D.png

Last edited:
Back