Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Droning sound when roof closing

Alan

Alan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
had this happening since new and presumed this is normal !
Only kicks in towards end of closing
Can someone confirm its normal?

Cheers Alan

The noise does change at the extremes of travel. Where do you hear it coming from. Front or sides? Pump behind control panel and hydraulic rams on both sides.

My roof makes a horrible grinding sound as it finishes closing. The sound gets louder and not very precise but it is always the same.

Difficult to say exactly because roof is almost closed when droning starts
But would say control panel

Probably normal then. Just the pump running against resistance until the pressure switch is activated to switch off the pump.

As others have confirmed, the change in noise from the hydraulic pump at the end of roof closing (or opening) is normal.

What I didn't realise until the Master Technician at our VW garage pointed it out is that as soon as the noise changes to the 'drone' you can release the control panel button and the pump will continue running until the closing/opening operation is complete.

My roof has started making a noise when shutting (as well as later droning noise). Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Thanks in anticipation

are you sure the droning noise is not coming from the passenger seat? that's where they normally come from.

My roof has started making a noise when shutting (as well as later droning noise). Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Thanks in anticipation
It could be any of the moving or hinging parts if they are dry or tight, I tend to give all the hinges and sliders a spray with dry PTFE spray available from Halfrauds.

You can use silicone spray, but that can cause dust to build up over time.