Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG Issue afterOil change

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Two das ago I've picked up my 2019 DSG Cali (57,000km on the clock) from the VW dealer after a Service, the 60K Km/40K miles one which include an Oil change of the DSG. As I drove it off the VW dealer lot i noticed the oil temp at 78°C, so it was already warm. Same for water temp.
As I drove home i started noticing some issues, like it being hesitant which gear to hold 2nd or 3rd on slight inclines. Then suddenly the gear went in (or the clutch released suddenly?) with a bang. This happened also sometimes from 1st to 2gear. Or it accelerates in 2nd gear, then suddenly no more power, then power on again, clutch engaging and releasing. Always on inclines going up.
After reading everywhere online I thought/hoped the DSG needs to "re-learn" my driving habits ? Calm relaxed driving by the way.
Following day, yesterday, I decided to test it again and it seemed all banging was gone , shifted normally, with still some minor hesitation in gear 1-2 shifts, but no sudden clutch releases. Notice that i tested it from cold, for about 20 miles.
Today long test again, it seemed all ok, convinced the DSG has "relearned" my habits. One more loop around the village and twice hesitant in 2-3 gear shift again, and once with a bang. Then a wrench symbol start flashing on the dash where the gear indicator is, upper right corner. Then it got stuck in 1st gear.
Coincidentally the dealer called me in reply to my Email at this very moment, and tells me to turn the engine off and on again, the wrench should go away. It did, but the DSG issues still there. So I'm scheduled to bring it in on Monday, the gent at the phone mentioning maybe incorrect oil amount (not enough) or need reprogramming software.
Before the DSG oil change no issue whatsoever, never, always smooth.
The Email I've sent today, was a "cover my ass" as on Sunday, in two days, my 5 yr warranty expires. Although I am 1000% convinced the DSG had no issue before and the problem came up because of the dsg oil change.

Any of you guys experienced anything similar after a DSG oil change ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Two das ago I've picked up my 2019 DSG Cali (57,000km on the clock) from the VW dealer after a Service, the 60K Km/40K miles one which include an Oil change of the DSG. As I drove it off the VW dealer lot i noticed the oil temp at 78°C, so it was already warm. Same for water temp.
As I drove home i started noticing some issues, like it being hesitant which gear to hold 2nd or 3rd on slight inclines. Then suddenly the gear went in (or the clutch released suddenly?) with a bang. This happened also sometimes from 1st to 2gear. Or it accelerates in 2nd gear, then suddenly no more power, then power on again, clutch engaging and releasing. Always on inclines going up.
After reading everywhere online I thought/hoped the DSG needs to "re-learn" my driving habits ? Calm relaxed driving by the way.
Following day, yesterday, I decided to test it again and it seemed all banging was gone , shifted normally, with still some minor hesitation in gear 1-2 shifts, but no sudden clutch releases. Notice that i tested it from cold, for about 20 miles.
Today long test again, it seemed all ok, convinced the DSG has "relearned" my habits. One more loop around the village and twice hesitant in 2-3 gear shift again, and once with a bang. Then a wrench symbol start flashing on the dash where the gear indicator is, upper right corner. Then it got stuck in 1st gear.
Coincidentally the dealer called me in reply to my Email at this very moment, and tells me to turn the engine off and on again, the wrench should go away. It did, but the DSG issues still there. So I'm scheduled to bring it in on Monday, the gent at the phone mentioning maybe incorrect oil amount (not enough) or need reprogramming software.
Before the DSG oil change no issue whatsoever, never, always smooth.
The Email I've sent today, was a "cover my ass" as on Sunday, in two days, my 5 yr warranty expires. Although I am 1000% convinced the DSG had no issue before and the problem came up because of the dsg oil change.

Any of you guys experienced anything similar after a DSG oil change ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Changing the DSG oil is not a straightforward, undo drain plug, drain oil, insert drain plug, top up with oil.
The procedure has to be followed exactly and it is undertaken within a set temperature range.

I think the ass you have covered here is the dealer. Sounds like they have messed up. They might get away with VW covering the cost under warranty but if I were VW I would check the chronology carefully as in "There was no problem, you 'serviced' the DSG and then it failed?!' But in any case you should certainly be seen right on this.

The real question for me is, once they check and put the correct amount of oil and reset the software, will the problem be solved or do I have a compromised DSG ?

The real question for me is, once they check and put the correct amount of oil and reset the software, will the problem be solved or do I have a compromised DSG ?
Undoubtedly You will have to allow the dealer to try and correct the issue.
if the issue persists you will have to claim under warranty or dealer liability insurance etc.

Why was the vehicle returned to you Warm ?
Having had a road test presumably,?
which surely is the point : that it had a problem after the service, which was not evident before the service , you noticed the issue on the way home ?
why was the issue not picked up by the “professionals” who were suppose to carry out the VW specified maintenance correctly (I.e. prevent future issues with the DSG).

Hopefully the dealer will be upfront with this and not try to cover their Ass.
the fact that you have a record of the dealer carrying out the work and tgd issue occurring immediately after the service should be enough for the dealer to do the right thing ?

Undoubtedly You will have to allow the dealer to try and correct the issue.
if the issue persists you will have to claim under warranty or dealer liability insurance etc.

Why was the vehicle returned to you Warm ?
Having had a road test presumably,?
which surely is the point : that it had a problem after the service, which was not evident before the service , you noticed the issue on the way home ?
why was the issue not picked up by the “professionals” who were suppose to carry out the VW specified maintenance correctly (I.e. prevent future issues with the DSG).

Hopefully the dealer will be upfront with this and not try to cover their Ass.
the fact that you have a record of the dealer carrying out the work and tgd issue occurring immediately after the service should be enough for the dealer to do the right thing ?
It needed an MOT and an Inspection including some checks , light alignment, and given the 5yr old age/almost 60K Km a DSG oil change. I know from the paper of the TüV (MOT) that this was done early in the morning. I've received a message that the car was ready at around 4pm.
The DSG oil should to be worm when it has to be changed, so they might have driven it around, change the DSG oil and park it for me to be picked up.
This is what I suppose, for them not to spot that it wasn't running right. Or with new (cold) DSG oil, they might have tested it around the block (with no inclines)and it was fine. It seems to have issue when warm+slight inclines. This could be consistent with a possibility of not enough oil, when cold offering enough viscosity resistance , but when warm not enough resistance while not enough oil ?

There is no question it's the dealer fault. No way around this. The big question for me, even when they fix it, do I have a possibly compromised DSG ?

It needed an MOT and an Inspection including some checks , light alignment, and given the 5yr old age/almost 60K Km a DSG oil change. I know from the paper of the TüV (MOT) that this was done early in the morning. I've received a message that the car was ready at around 4pm.
The DSG oil should to be worm when it has to be changed, so they might have driven it around, change the DSG oil and park it for me to be picked up.
This is what I suppose, for them not to spot that it wasn't running right. Or with new (cold) DSG oil, they might have tested it around the block (with no inclines)and it was fine. It seems to have issue when warm+slight inclines. This could be consistent with a possibility of not enough oil, when cold offering enough viscosity resistance , but when warm not enough resistance while not enough oil ?

There is no question it's the dealer fault. No way around this. The big question for me, even when they fix it, do I have a possibly compromised DSG ?

It can't be that bad if they are happy for you to drive it back to the dealers…

Last edited:
DSG boxes are pretty robust these days. You have driven it only short distances and it has been ‘unhappy’ on only a few occasions. Should be fine once corrected but as noted above drive it and if you aren’t completely happy, take it back to the dealer.

Post #3 @WelshGas has eluded , the DSG service must be carried out within a certain temperature range , this is carried out initially from a cold gearbox, VW service equipment will then heat the gearbox upto the required temperature, before the old oil is drained out. If this process was not followed I suspect there could be issues , otherwise why would VW specify a temperature and prolonged procedure for what would otherwise be a simple oil change ?
there has to be something in that your gearbox now has an issue when warm !

Last edited:
Changing the DSG oil is not a straightforward, undo drain plug, drain oil, insert drain plug, top up with oil.
The procedure has to be followed exactly and it is undertaken within a set temperature range.
DSG draining is slightly complicated in that the drain plug is removed then there is another internal plug to remove or no draining will occur.
If doing a DIY job it's best to go for a drive to get the engine and DSG up to operating temperature first.

Filling requires the internal plug to be reinserted, this has a short tube/pipe that controls the filled oil level,
Filling the oil requires an adaptor that screws into the drain plug hole and then a tube and pump is needed to fill the DSG with the specified amount. Best to measure the drained oil as a guide.

Drain plug refitted and engine run until specified DSG oil Temp reached plus a few manual gear changes to ensure the system is fully primed, no need to actually drive on road.
Carista has this function ability in service options. Not engine temp.

With the Cali horizontal the drain plug is removed to allow any excess oil to drain, if nothing comes out then more DSG oil will need adding and the procedure repeated.

Replacing the oil filter is difficult with access being a case of loosening from above but taking out and hand tightening from underneath. I believe VW don't deem filter change required.

The internal plug with the short tube/pipe is what sets the oil level at the specified temp.

The oil level pipe that acts as an overflow.

1719075296110.png1719075296110.png

*DSG oil filter is specified by VW to be replaced on some engines types and not on others (based on Vin / engine number) some are “sealed for life” I.e no filter replacement, despite VW selling the filters !

when I had my DSG service done the VW master tech (indie) advised that VW did not specify a new filter based on my vin / engine, (VW dealer could not confirm or deny)
Indie agreed it would make sense to change the filter as “good practice” , so I paid to have a new filter IRO £30 , it was apparently easy to get at and change.
like all oil filters , a new filter will take additional oil to prime it !

Update: brought the Cali today to the dealer, they emptied the DSG oil and checked the amount: there were 200ml missing. So they've refilled it with the correct amount.
I've tested it extensively, about 40mi/65Km to make sure the oil was warm, and drove it in all those situation were it wasn't shifting properly in the last days, and the issue seems to be gone.
The problem, the dealer explained, that they didn't wait enough for the transmission to cool down when they remove it, so less of the new oil went in because of the higher temperature.
Sort of the opposite of when you read the engine oil on the dipstick, it must be a warm engine.
Fingers crossed that the problem will remain solved.

Update: brought the Cali today to the dealer, they emptied the DSG oil and checked the amount: there were 200ml missing. So they've refilled it with the correct amount.
I've tested it extensively, about 40mi/65Km to make sure the oil was warm, and drove it in all those situation were it wasn't shifting properly in the last days, and the issue seems to be gone.
The problem, the dealer explained, that they didn't wait enough for the transmission to cool down when they remove it, so less of the new oil went in because of the higher temperature.
Sort of the opposite of when you read the engine oil on the dipstick, it must be a warm engine.
Fingers crossed that the problem will remain solved.
Sounds a bit of a get out excuse as it is possible to see/check the DSG oil Temp for refil purposes.
Fill level check isn't by how much came out and needs to go back in unless a quick job done avoiding the temp check.

Hopefully done correctly this time.

DSG draining is slightly complicated in that the drain plug is removed then there is another internal plug to remove or no draining will occur..........
As per Volvo..... although Volvo say sealed for life, so maybe not as box oil change.

The recommendation for the Volvo is to cycle through the gears, 10sec, in each. Obviously the vehicle is not moving. Took about 20min for it to reach temperature

Sounds a bit of a get out excuse as it is possible to see/check the DSG oil Temp for refil purposes.
Fill level check isn't by how much came out and needs to go back in unless a quick job done avoiding the temp check.

Agree.....VW also appears to be quite critical on the temperature range and if you miss it

4.32min in explains very nicely the drain arrangement

The problem is, as far as I have researched, there is a plug to empty the oil, and within this hole, there is an overfill insert. basically you put in 6-6,3 liters of oil, at a specific temperature, with engine at a specific temperature, and when the overfill plug stops dripping, you have the right amount of oil in, and can close the plug. If you put oil in a too hot engine it heats up , expands and overfills, leaving actually less oil in.
Of course they messed up, just to do it quick, 35° or 45° , no biggies ... Instead it makes a difference. A bit like torque settings, and torque wrenches... prescribed but not always followed.