Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG vs Manual

Agree would not consider going back to a manual now, except maybe if thinking about a 4 motion. Only downside of the DSG for me is very low speed manoeuvring, particularly on a slope - on the admittedly very rare occasions its needed, I think the manual can be just slightly more precise.
Yes, this is exactly the problem I found when I had a DSG courtesy van. We have a short gravel driveway that has quite a steep entry and then flattens off quickly at the top. At the back of the drive (which is only about 1½ van lengths long) there is a high grass bank.

I found that with the DSG, I needed quite a lot of accelerator to get it up the initial slope and then had to jam the brakes on pretty damn quick when it reached the flat section, to avoid crashing into the grass bank! With clutch control on the Manual, this process is very easy and much less fraught with danger (expense)!

Mark

I rented a 6 speed manual T5 before we bought the Cali. I wanted to see if it drove as well as everyone said. We had it for 4 days and loved it. The high driving position was great, it was comfortable, not much bigger than one of many modern cars.
The only problem I had was keeping up with the suggested gear changes. The display panel suggests when you could improve fuel consumption by changing gear. We were fine on motorways, but on A roads in Dorset it was constantly suggesting I should change up or down. The DSG does all that and leads, as has been previously suggested, to a much more relaxed driving style, especially in heavy traffic.

I think the two comments above just about sum it up really. I would prefer a more sensitive throttle response, for exactly the reasons Mark H gives - I reverse into my very tight garage up a slight slope, an experience which was at least initially not entirely unstressful).

But is is a three ton car, you do acclimatise to it pretty quickly and I agree with Simon B as well. It tows really well too. Somehow DSG really suits the Cali, and I would have no hesitation going with it again.

Unless, that is, I wanted a 4 motion, when I think I would miss that low speed precision. Hypothetical for me, don't really need 4 wheel drive - will sort out winter tyres next year I think - but a slightly difficult decision.

I have a steep angled drive and have never had to use the throttle to manoeuvre. Just D or R and take handbrake off and it will creep along dependant on the anti-stall and DSG working together.

Welsh Gas hello - think we might have had this conversation in another thread somewhere.

Have driven three DSGs (mine included) and they seem to have similar throttle responses, but just wondering if there is some variation in the mapping somewhere? Wish mine would creep up the steep tricky bits as you describe.

Not the most important thing in the world, but its quite interesting, and if I could improve the very low speed response on mine without losing the road behaviour . . .

Welsh Gas hello - think we might have had this conversation in another thread somewhere.

Have driven three DSGs (mine included) and they seem to have similar throttle responses, but just wondering if there is some variation in the mapping somewhere? Wish mine would creep up the steep tricky bits as you describe.

Not the most important thing in the world, but its quite interesting, and if I could improve the very low speed response on mine without losing the road behaviour . . .
Mine takes 2-3 seconds before it starts moving , probably for the Hill Start system to switch off or be overcome. It's a theory. Could be wrong.

Mine takes 2-3 seconds before it starts moving , probably for the Hill Start system to switch off or be overcome. It's a theory. Could be wrong.
WelchGas is right any controlled low speed manoeuvre just release the brake and it will slowly move forwards or back

Ah - thanks Welsh Gas - maybe I'm just not waiting long enough for the electronic brain to kick in (I confess patience has never been a particular virtue of mine).

Will experiment and report back.

The "no throttle" creep is also brilliant for getting around "5mph" caravan sites roads. Mine actually "creeps" somewhere between 5 and 10 mph.

Fascinating. Unfortunately I had dropped off by the time they got to the gear changing bit near the end of the first one...went back to find it though.
Quite amazing information, thanks

The "no throttle" creep is also brilliant for getting around "5mph" caravan sites roads. Mine actually "creeps" somewhere between 5 and 10 mph.
Never thought of that. Usually get in bother...

Have just spent a happy half hour playing with the Cali. Why was that therapeutic . . . dunno, but it was. Should have been working.

Patience definitely rewarded. Still won't quite do it, but the slower the definitely better. Suspect my problem is a combination of ridges and slope to get it into the garage, and maybe all the stop start because its so tight.

Next problem is that we are shortly about to demolish the garage anyway, so if anyone has one in South London that they are not using and will fit the Cali, would be very very interested.

Has anyone owned both DSG & Manual California's or Transporter vans.
I've seen a van which ticks all the boxes for me, however it's DSG and I wasn't overly impressed with it when I test drove it.
However. Maybe I just need to give it more time and perhaps live with it for a while before completely writing it off.
I love my current manual box which has been faultless over the last 3.5 years.

So has anyone on here converted to DSG...???
:confused:

I was in the same position as you. Wanted a manual but had the opportunity to buy a 15 month old DSG T5. We had previously hired a manual T5 for a week and liked it; we only wanted a manual because that's what we knew from other vehicles we had owned. Having driven the new Cali on a couple of trips I am very glad we went for the DSG; it is wonderful to drive and I think it suits what the vehicle is for me - a leisure vehicle, for taking on relaxing trips around Europe.

It seems to me that there are far more DSG vehicles around in the used market than there are manuals; there is probably a reason for that.

For me the major decider was the £1500 extra for the dsg. Got one on my Audi TT and it's very good, no problems at all. On the camper I just felt I could spend the extra cash on something more useful, but bought ex demo so didn't get the choice in the end. Both are good, so don't get too worked up about it!

When I was looking for a used campervan it HAD to be automatic as I have a leg that won't deal with a clutch pedal, and it didn't seem to me that were many available - but those that were out there got snapped up very quickly!
I always hated the idea of automatic before I mashed my leg, but when I started driving one I soon changed my mind. I've not driven many miles in my van but today I thought I'd give myself a baptism of fire visiting Kimmeridge, over the Purbeck hills, tight bends, narrow country roads, and idiot grockles (visitors) who want to drive in the middle of the road so as not to scratch their pretty cars - oh and the rough surface on the car park to deal with as well.

My first reaction is that it was all great and wasn't all that different to drive from my old Nissan estate, just have to get used to the biting point with the brakes and the fact that it wants a little more welly to take off, due I guess to being a heavier vehicle.

Happy happy me!

:thumb

Has anyone owned both DSG & Manual California's or Transporter vans.
I've seen a van which ticks all the boxes for me, however it's DSG and I wasn't overly impressed with it when I test drove it.
However. Maybe I just need to give it more time and perhaps live with it for a while before completely writing it off.
I love my current manual box which has been faultless over the last 3.5 years.

So has anyone on here converted to DSG...???
:confused:
Yes got a new 204 T6 dsg after my 180 T5. Fantastic drive. I much prefer the dsg. 7 gears and no break in power transmission makes it go better than I ever imagined. Definitely the way to go and with the freewheeling facility activated it's really economic.

Well after reading through I'm not completely put off by DSG and would need another test drive just to make sure i would be happy. But the thread has definitely convinced me to give it another go.

Now the only other stubbing block is the colour. Silver, probably the worst of the T5 colours:headbang

Well after reading through I'm not completely put off by DSG and would need another test drive just to make sure i would be happy. But the thread has definitely convinced me to give it another go.

Now the only other stubbing block is the colour. Silver, probably the worst of the T5 colours:headbang

Be careful of stubbing blocks though.

Very hard on the toes :shocked

Just got back from my second dash to Austria (delivering / collecting my daughter from Uni there). Last September we rented a manual Cali. This time we did it in our own new 204DSG.

I loved both. However the DSG was much easier in the infamous roadworks-related traffic jams on the German Autobahns. That alone justifies my decision to get the DSG.

Last edited:
We picked our DSG Cali up from South Hereford Garage around lunchtime on a sunny Friday in October last year. I had been driving with manual gearboxes for over 40 years. By the time we visited a friend on the way home it was getting towards rush hour in the various towns we passed through.

I did the newbie two feet driving and was impressed how fast a 3 tonne van stopped. Not sure the person following me was though.

We eventually got onto the M5 and every man & their dog was heading off to Devon so the traffic began to slow down. For the first time ever I almost enjoyed the traffic jam. I could see over the cars to see when they started moving and I had none of the constant gear changing, into 1st move forward 20 feet, out of gear, etc.

I love the DSG box. We have a manual Golf and I have the odd moment when I forget, but the DSG takes one of the stressful aspects of driving today completely out of the equation.
There are so few complaints about them going wrong on here I have to assume they are pretty reliable. You have to learn how to get the best out of it, but coupled with cruise control, fantastic for long motorway drives.

Last edited:
The last couple of days I've had this to drive around in.
Very high spec, most importantly has DSG. I'm still not 100% sure about DSG.

However getting back into my own van i did miss having it. It's very smooth, great in traffic and actually suits the T6 very well.

Not sure if I would spec it buying new, due to the cost, however would not be put of buying an ex demo or nearly new with this gearbox installed.

I dare say with a bit more time I may well appreciate it more.
It's definitely growing on me...!!!

I have a manual 150 Beach (purchased as a demo) and I love it. However I drive a DSG at work and if I had the choice I would pick a DSG gearbox everytime......I think it suits the driving style and feel of a California. 1st gear manual is a waste of space in a California. Is DSG worth the extra money....that I'm not sure and it really is a personal choice but I for one would choose it every time and just wish my demo model had it....next one def

So worth updating this thread.

2018 I took delivery of a 204 bhp with DSG. Got to say, it really suits the California and I do like the gearbox.
Haven’t noticed anything too off putting yet.

Fingers crossed it’s reliable.

Last edited:
I had my cambelt and water pump done on my manual Cali and they said if it was dsg it cost extra £150 as dsg oil needs doing. So service costs are a little higher.
Your probably never get the perfect van unless you order from new and have very deep pockets and don’t mind waiting.

Back