DSG vs Manual

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anyone owned both DSG & Manual California's or Transporter vans.
I've seen a van which ticks all the boxes for me, however it's DSG and I wasn't overly impressed with it when I test drove it.
However. Maybe I just need to give it more time and perhaps live with it for a while before completely writing it off.
I love my current manual box which has been faultless over the last 3.5 years.

So has anyone on here converted to DSG...???
:confused:

I have owened both. I love the DSG and never would like a manual gearbox anymore. And keep in mind that the DSG works perfekt with the adaptiv Cruise Control. It's not that comfortable with a manual box!

I have always been in the manual camp and swore I would never own an automatic abut after a test drive in a DSG I was fully converted, I could never ever go back to the manual now, all those years of my life wasted changing gears haha

Cheers peeps, interesting.
I am a little concerned also about reliability and the cost to repair should the worst happen.

I like the simplicity of the manual

I am a little concerned also about reliability and the cost to repair should the worst happen.

The simplicity debate was one I had with my partner when we switched to DSG cars. She felt the same as you about the potential costs and hassles if problems arise but my feeling is that simplicity if and when things go wrong is more than outweighed by the everyday simplicity of driving a car that doesn't need gear changes and gives you the simplest and smoothest possible ride. When we bought our last car the VW dealer said he now sells more DSGs than manuals in mid range models. This can only bode well for developing more expertise and hopefully pushing maintenance prices down in the long run. I'd be interested to know how many new T6 owners have chosen one over the other.

+1 for DSG, we hired both and DSG was a no brainer for us

DSG 100,000 on a Touran and not a glitch. No clutches no anything. Cali is ordered with DSG

Mike

We also have a Caravelle DSG (2010) which has done 78,000 miles, never had a single problem with it and is a pure joy to drive

We hired a manual 5 speed Cali and also hired a manual 6 speed Transporter conversion and I liked them both, probably the 6 gear had the edge and I wasn't fussed about DSG. Then we found a new Cali available for immediate collection which happened to have DSG which we snapped up. Well, now am I glad I got the DSG, I absolutely love it and consider myself very lucky to have accidentally ended up with this gearbox over the manual one. I have a manual van for work and a manual Audi TT and I thought I would have major problems swapping between vehicles but I haven't found it a problem at all.

Manual for me all day long. The DSG is fantastic but not for me.

Where there not already several posts and loooots of pages on DSG vs Manual ?
So i say my thoughts ( again here ) never owned other than manual geared cars and love my DSG so far afther 35.000km troublefree driving.

I wouldn't worry about the reliability or long term costs, they're becoming the "norm" now and people will be able to deal with them. The engineering in them is superb. In terms of living with one, they do take a little getting used to, your driving style needs to change to adapt slightly. They are good but it really depends on the individual and their driving style - DSG really suits a more relaxed style of driving.

Never driven an auto before getting our DSG was almost a deal breaker, as not in my planned spec. If replacing now none DSG would be a deal breaker.

Don't forget the DSG is a different system to an Automatic gearbox and Torque Converter.
Once you get used to it, I doubt if you will look back.
I posted a document some time ago about how the DSG actually works.

I read five years ago that vw DSG gearboxes in America have a100.000 mile warranty.

I read five years ago that vw DSG gearboxes in America have a100.000 mile warranty.
And why do you think they do that? Because they know they will have very few if any claims.
The DSG box has been around for some time now and doesn't figure highly in Forum posts regarding problems.

Thanks for all the replies.
It's all very informative. I think i need to test it again.
It seems once converted people stick with it and it's refreshing to hear positives about the reliability of the gearbox

I love my current manual box which has been faultless over the last 3.5 years.
ditto for our DSG. daily drive with 43k on clock. If manual or DSG if unlucky to fail both would be expensive.

Hi,
I have to agree with Annik's post earlier..... Over the past years I have always been someone that looks and listens whilst I drive... I have spent many years under a bonnet , just making sure it's running at its best..
But now the years have caught up with me a bit...
So.... As far as I am concerned now a DSG is Magic. I just drive and enjoy.
I think we sometimes worry over things that may never happen....

We too went from manual to DSG and we could never go back to manual now, I suggest anyone looking to buy a Cali test drives both manual and DSG. I was convinced I would never drive an auto but this DSG is a different beast all together.

Agree would not consider going back to a manual now, except maybe if thinking about a 4 motion. Only downside of the DSG for me is very low speed manoeuvring, particularly on a slope - on the admittedly very rare occasions its needed, I think the manual can be just slightly more precise.

Only downside of the DSG for me is very low speed manoeuvring, particularly on a slope - on the admittedly very rare occasions its needed, I think the manual can be just slightly more precise.
Can't you lock the DSG into manual shift mode?

Back