Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dub Freeze, Stafford

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi - Anyone been to Dub Freeze at Stafford? Any good?

Seems to be a bar on the Saturday night (with is good), but little info about whether takeaway food is available (got to keep the kids happy)?

Thanks,

Chris

It's a great event. I've never camped (my cali arrives mid March). Sunday is busy, lots to buy for all VWs but the best part is seeing what's outside and for sale - usually some very optimistic prices

It's the start of the VW show season

1963 15 window splitscreen
2015 California SE 180 DSG Blackberry metallic

That looks great, thanks for the info - just booked!

It will be the first night camping in our new van :)

Thanks Splitrich - sounds good - I'm going to book. Over 400 vehicles registered for camping this Saturday.

Come and say hi to a fellow Cali owner I shall be on the VW Camper / VWbus magazine stand

Sorry David - only just seen your message otherwise would have said hello.

I went with my daughter and had a good time. Lucky we took some food for the Saturday night though, as nothing available, not even a bag of crisps at the bar.

It was my first VW event, and a couple of observations…

1. Every other van seemed to have it's own sound system competing with each other into the early hours. Not our cup of tea normally, and would probably run a mile at a regular camp site. BUT it really didn't matter under the circumstances, and really quite atmospheric with all of the fire pits burning brightly

2. The bar was probably the most unwelcoming and depressing place on earth - rushed a half and headed back to the van tout suite

3. Really pleased I was there in the Cali though - running water, heat and 12v TV.

All in all an eye opener, atmosphere really good, some really great vans, and will definitely go to some other events.

This has also been our experience of a few VW events recently, we are now sadly too old for all that.

We are certainly looking forward to Cali's on the Farm again in July, lets just say much nicer clientele :)

I'll be there with my fire pit & bass boomer. Rock on!!

We are certainly looking forward to Cali's on the Farm again in July, lets just say much nicer clientele :)

+1 for Calis on the Farm, we went last year as potential Cali owners and spent the whole day Saturday going around talking to the warm and friendly owners picking up loads of tips and hearing some amzing stories.

We cant wait for this year and actually being owners ourselves

Sorry David - only just seen your message otherwise would have said hello.

I went with my daughter and had a good time. Lucky we took some food for the Saturday night though, as nothing available, not even a bag of crisps at the bar.

It was my first VW event, and a couple of observations…

All in all an eye opener, atmosphere really good, some really great vans, and will definitely go to some other events.

I must also apologise to David as whenever we went past the stall it was pretty congested, so I intended to call back when it was quieter; but subsequently we had a problem with one of our purchases and spent too long sorting that out with the trader.

I agree with the comments above, we didn't mind the noise in the evening but we were woken up in the morning by revving engines; and the sound of "music" which fortunately was in the distance so we could only hear the bass notes, I felt sorry for anyone who may have been closer!

As you say, the bar was a bit miserable, but I guess if you are with a group it was a warm place to gather and preferable to sitting outside in the freezing cold. There were only two of us so we didn't hang around long, and headed back to the Cali... fortunately we had stopped off at a Tesco and picked up a couple of curry ready meals which we enjoyed!

Earlier, we had a walk round the hall towards evening when it was fairly empty; it was amazing how hard the traders and organisers had worked overnight transforming the hall, and to think it all has to be removed again after the show.

It was great to see the older vans, particularly the splitties, they seem to have more room in them than the modern vans - like the Tardis. But I can't personally see the point of lowering them such that they scrape the floor, I think it ruins them.

Overall we enjoyed the experience.

Back