Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

duvet under rooftop

I did this with an Ocean.
No roof damage thank god but although the system said the roof was closed the front end was “open“ by about a 1 to 2 cm. No way would I have driven and clearly significant stress had been placed on the roof and mechanism.
Never to be attempted again I was very lucky not to bend/crease the roof.
NB standard mattress and Ikea feather duvet 10 TOG
February 2018 photo of duvet and pyjamas prepped in roof for closing.

IMG_1189.JPG

February 2018 photo of duvet and pyjamas prepped in roof for closing.

View attachment 87108
That is exactly how I had my standard double bed sized Ikea duvet prepped when I did my experiment Minus PJ’s. 90% duck feathers 10% down, Tog between 7.5 and 10 Tog doesn’t work in my Ocean.
Moral is experiment very carefully and at your own risk in an Ocean

CD49FE3E-4F62-46DD-811B-70AB9DAA8A7E.jpeg

Because of the way the back hinge works, there is no compression power. A mattress or duvet will just lift the back end and eventually can damage your alu roof. The front side has more power but even here you can encounter problems in locking the roof. The result can be a damaged roof but at least a not really sealed roof. Driving in wet conditions wil result in a wet tent or worse.

Just to add to this, I've been looking for a good topper for the upper berth too and did my research, turning up a lot of conflicting information. So, I asked Campervanbits the same question just to see which topper they recommended. Their answer: Definitely Not! So, rather than risk an expensive repair, if I want to use a topper for the upper berth in addition to the standard mattress, I'll take it down before I lower the pop-top or just sleep on the standard mattress.

Here's an excerpt of the chat from yesterday..

Gordon
14:43
Hi, I am looking for a Self-Inflating mattress topper for the upper berth on a California Ocean. Is it possible to leave a 5cm SI mattress (deflated) in the upper berth on top of the standard mattress and still close the roof without damaging the popup top?
Shayne joined the chat
Shayne
Hi Gordon
Gordon
Hi Shayne.
Shayne
No, I think it would prevent the roof closing as they do not go completely flat
Gordon
14:44
Hmmmm...okay. That solves that problem.

Could I replace the standard mattress with a 10cm SI mattress?
Shayne
14:45
Nothing thicker than the one you have would be any good, unless it deflated the the same thickness

I hope you understand me?

can i leave a 1 pers duvet ( feathers) under the closed rooftop ?
Dont forget when the top comes down the "tent"folds inwards, if there is something obstructing the sidepanels ,it could cause some damage.

can i leave a 1 pers duvet ( feathers) under the closed rooftop ?
Don’t go there… we left a thin bedding layer up there early days with our Cali…fine until we got up to 60mph when the tiny extra layer meant a gap at front and roof started banging scarily….