Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eberspacher fault

• Thread starter TwentyOneThirtyFive
  • Start date
If you have an odd noise it could be a bad bearing in the fan or similar which could be contributing to heat build up/trip?

It’s actually quite easy to remove and open up the heater unit.

More fun.
Keep going, you’re almost the house expert.
Latest development is that glow plug has stopped ticking, which is not firing up and putting heating any more.
Enough of playing next step take heater out, clean it out and see what’s going on. Hopefully I would be able to put it back together.
Thanks for the help and encouragement.

The ticking is the fuel pump not the glow plug.
No ticking, no fuel, no heat.

Manual

Attachments

• Airtronic_D2_D4_workshop_manual_2.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
The ticking is the fuel pump not the glow plug.
No ticking, no fuel, no heat.
You are right it is a fuel pump, I think my mind is all mangled up with all information that I guess I need a break from it to digest it all.
I also decided to give it a service by cleaning all carbon off as it may be clogged up. I’ve had it 2 years and in time it wasn’t cleaned although not used much who knows when it was done last.
Chances are if it clogged up it will be overheating hence triggering thermal cut outs.
Thanks for your help guys, please stay with me for further update.

I had a spare unit and the fan bearings were shot.

Ok, thanks Sidepod.
Got my unit out, was hoping to service it, however to my discovery it’s a discontinued heater and parts are not available so not confident in taking it apart. Especially if new gaskets are required. Will change air intake and air out pipes as they look old, other than that not sure I could do more. Hoping decent air intake will reduce the over heating of the unit. Air intake is through back of the cupboard so not sure how adequate it is? Must be as it has been for all these years.

34C5989D-BEB4-4EAE-8872-61111CB01C0A.jpeg

E57C5E87-3BE9-46F2-A5EF-4C7BF83A600A.jpeg

If memory serves there is a small circuit board in there somewhere, just have a look for dry joints/ connections etc.

Update:
Heater was surface cleaned, as service parts are not available for this heaters any longer, exhaust outlet blown, cicrcuit board seems all sealed up see pictures, new air inlet and outlet pipes 90mm replaced with inexpensive aluminium flexibpipe from Amazon which I think looks much better anyway, can’t beat a bit of shine.
It seems to be working a dream now, not overheating anymore. Air inlet pipe was original and in very tired state so would me be surprised that heater was not getting enough air in and was overheating as a result. Time will tell.
Thanks all who contributed.

CB5F4831-A041-4ED2-9D7E-B1DB3E95064D.jpeg

Back