Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR Valve failure on 2010 Cali

Considering it is a known problem with the 2010/2011 vans, we only got 50% goodwill, you would of thought they would of paid 100%?

@Michael Barber though not as clean as we thought, eh? :|

@Andyclockwise they seem to offer random "goodwill" - we had ours done earlier this year (2011 180) and it was a complete saga. However VW did end up paying all but £150 of the £1200+ bill - It beggars belief to why they do this.

Our position was that the EGR valve had since been redesigned which gives us reasonable grounds to suspect the initial design was flawed / not fit for purpose. They paid up.

Hard to say but with their recent bad publicity which shows that they have clearly had some issues with emissions control on 2.0 diesels (hence the need to "cheat") it may be worth turning the screw on that and maybe action by the club itself could help here?

Considering it is a known problem with the 2010/2011 vans, we only got 50% goodwill, you would of thought they would of paid 100%?
I'm sorry, but why? All EGRs are likely to fail at some point. The problem with the 2010/2011 EGRs was premature failure. Presuming your vehicle is 5 yrs old then a 50% contribution is reasonable. You wouldn't expect VW to contribute towards the 4 yearly cam belt and water pump change, would you?

I have been reliably informed that this is a known issue by VW and there had been a little announced recall on these engines for this very fault. VW are of course quite happy not to announce this and let customers find out the hard way and of course let them pick up the tab...

I'm sorry, but why? All EGRs are likely to fail at some point. The problem with the 2010/2011 EGRs was premature failure. Presuming your vehicle is 5 yrs old then a 50% contribution is reasonable. You wouldn't expect VW to contribute towards the 4 yearly cam belt and water pump change, would you?

I think because it's a design fault, a known issue and VW paid for almost all of mine. There should be consistency for everyone.

Cam belt wear is a known perishable at the point of purchase whereas EGR failure surely isn't?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another EGR suspected failure here. Our Cali goes in on Tuesday without prompting the Dealer mentioned asking VW about goodwill. I should hope so on a 61reg, 24k miles and 2 months out of extended warranty ! :headbang

This is my 2nd EGR failure this year , the first being on my Twisted Landrover Defender in June. Amazingly that vehicle proved more unreliable than the Cali and was sold on. The Cali no matter what will stay.

Ok so I've ploughed through most of this thread and I can't find an actual description of what fails. Is it a solenoid, a bearing, a pivot, shaft etc?
I tend to do my own maintenance so is it a serviceable item or not?

If replacing the EGR with a blank and reprogramming is the way ahead then why are more people not doing this?

The jury is still out on T5 or T6 so I need as much Intel as poss.
(Factor in this and the oil consumption the T6 is nosing ahead.)

Sorry if I missed any of the info I'm seeking.

Pod.

Usually a horrible sticky mess gums up the valve (use "EGR valve" in the image search on Google to see some examples). Another failure seems to be that the shaft seals leak and moisture from the gases gets into the valve control electrics causing corrosion.

If replacing the EGR with a blank and reprogramming is the way ahead then why are more people not doing this?
Pod.

I thought it was now an MOT failure if the EGR had been blanked off on a recent vehicle that had it fitted as standard. ??

it probably is but I think its difficult to see and if done properly doesn't throw up any lights,hard to explain if the engine is on a recall though

I did it on our old Bongo and it went better and used less fuel.
Sailed through the mots but didn't involve any reprogramming atall, just removed it and blanked the ends.
Not sure I'd chance it on the Cali though with Canbus spying on everything. Wouldn't want to do it and have it fail the Mot.
Has anyone done it on a Cali?

You can have the EGR defeated with a remap. That can't be detected by the MOT as it is in the computer and not physical.

Alan

Correction to my previous post.

Pendle Performance, the remap I have, does not delete the EGR valve. Pendle are of the view it would be bad for the engine to do this. According to them, the EGR and DPF work in conjunction and should not be messed with.

To delete the DPF would require it to be physically removed from the exhaust and switched off in the computer. Blanking the EGR is also considered a bad thing to do according to Pendle.

Not only do these items improve the NOx emissions they help the engine to run cooler apparently.

That is what they have told me today.

Alan

Ok so I've ploughed through most of this thread and I can't find an actual description of what fails. Is it a solenoid, a bearing, a pivot, shaft etc?
I tend to do my own maintenance so is it a serviceable item or not?

The jury is still out on T5 or T6 so I need as much Intel as poss.
(Factor in this and the oil consumption the T6 is nosing ahead.)

Sorry if I missed any of the info I'm seeking.

Pod.
Look at my post on page 3 to see what happened to mine.

Another EGR suspected failure here. Our Cali goes in on Tuesday without prompting the Dealer mentioned asking VW about goodwill. I should hope so on a 61reg, 24k miles and 2 months out of extended warranty ! :headbang

This is my 2nd EGR failure this year , the first being on my Twisted Landrover Defender in June. Amazingly that vehicle proved more unreliable than the Cali and was sold on. The Cali no matter what will stay.
Quick update VW paid for the part (without more nudging required) and we paid for the labour.

I believe that bypassing EGR isn't an MOT fail currently, but DPF bypass definitely is a fail. However the DPF fail was introduced and applied to all vehicles that "had one fitted as standard" (effectively retrospectively), so there's a precedence there and who's to say a similar EGR ruling wouldn't be brought in. For that reason alone I wouldn't want to mess with either.

It does mean we should all check that both EGR and especially DPF are operational on all used purchases as we could get a nasty shock at MOT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At present the MOT test is purely a visual inspection i.e.: that the DPF is present. There is no test for its functionality.

In a DPF delete - the DPF is removed, all the internals are removed, replaced. Engine software is then manipulated to remove all DPF warnings etc:

Not something I fancy.

As i understand it the new Euro 6 engine in the T6 does not have an EGR valve due to the 'blue' technology and cleaner combustion - just need to delete the DPF now

I'm in Sydney Australia and I've got a VW Caravelle - exact same problem and VW wouldn't admit it was a known issue, but they have agreed to cover half the part - I expect it is still going to be close to $2000 including what we've already spent trying to figure out why it keeps going into limp mode (and that's quite dangerous when you're on the road, but I digress).

What I want to know is will this fix it or should I expect a $1500 random repair every year on this thing? My other car is a 15 year old Lexus that has never had anything other than a regular service...nothing has ever failed on it.

Pity because the van is quite practical otherwise, too bad they can't seem to get the mechanics right.

James

EGR valve failed on my 2011 180 Cali & had it replaced by Brian Currie in Milton Keynes. Great service from them as usual. VW paid 75% of the parts cost & I got a bill of £600. The actual part replaced is now the EGR valve complete with the cooler & is a massive lump.
Strangely Cali did not go into limp mode as happens to a lot of vans, just lost some power which increased the DSG hesitation.

EGR valve failed on my 2011 180 Cali & had it replaced by Brian Currie in Milton Keynes. Great service from them as usual. VW paid 75% of the parts cost & I got a bill of £600. The actual part replaced is now the EGR valve complete with the cooler & is a massive lump.
Strangely Cali did not go into limp mode as happens to a lot of vans, just lost some power which increased the DSG hesitation.
Probably Limp Mode or not depends on how the valve fails, closed or open!

Well,

Here the verdict : We will never buy a WV vehicle again !
We sold our 2011 180 Cali last week and what a relief ! Could not trust it.
First the hydraulic roof would not come down in August 2015. My husband had to manually fiddle with the control unit to get it down for us to go back home. Then the famous - or rather infamous - plastic knob on the unit control broke. Fixed again by my husband. And 2 months ago the engine light came on : the EGR valve was the problem.... at 42 000 kms. VW France wanted 1663 euros to change it (of which 1223 eur was the part alone as they change the whole unit i.e. valve/cooler/oil filter, the rest being labour). VW is fully aware of this and are still trying to solve the problem by "issuing" new part, their latest 3rd unit/model being part No VW 03L 115 512 D - repeat : D - from January 2016. Would not participitate to the expenses nor make a goodwill gesture as we had not serviced the vehicle with a VW garage/VW partner....Absolutely disgusted considering the price of this vehicle. Now considering to go back to a Mercedes Viano Marco Polo V6.

P.S. We bought the valve alone from a german website and had it changed by a local mechanic who spent nearly 3 days over it. No other garage was willing to do it as it is too much work. Also, with their 2 years part garantee, they will be out of pocket as they know it will pack up again.Their words - not mine !

Just replaced the EGR on our 2010 Caravelle.
It had already had a new one 18 months into it's life at around 10k miles.
The second one lasted 6 years And 42k miles.
Only ever run the van on Tesco fuel with the odd Morrisons so make of that whatever you like?
I didn't try for goodwill as even though the van has fsh, the last 3 years it has been done by an independent, as the franchise dealer caved the door in last time they had it! Took 8 months to satisfactorily get that sorted but that's a whole other story. The van is 7.5 years old too so personally I think goodwill is well and truly finished for me.

Anyway, it cost me £350 for the EGR valve/cooler, gaskets and coolant.
Fitted it myself as on the 140 it's simple. Just lean over the motor, 6 bolts and a couple of hoses and it's off.
There's a great YouTube video showing exactly what to do.
Having VCDS helps massively to diagnose and as these vans get older the thing pays for itself.
Hopefully the new EGR will last at least as long as the last one.