Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR Valve failure on 2010 Cali

I had a complete EGR valve replacement Sept 12 after going into limp mode on my 2010 180 dsg.
Today, 2 WEEKS out of warranty i had the engine management light come on but it hasn't gone into limp mode so have arranged to take it into a dealership tomorrow for fault analysis. I will post what happens.

Hello.

There are workshops who blind the EGR valve by a blind gasket. There is no impact on the electronics of the engine. However there are concernes about the effect on the enviroment pollution and raising temperature of exhust gasses potentially affecting the silencer and exhaust pipes.
Surely no problem with the clogged valve anymore. ;)

Could some professional here share his opinion about this smart modification ?

update;

Not the EGR valve this time but a similarly named Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor. Bang goes another £400. Should be up and running again just in time for COTF.

£400 ouch !! How far out of warranty are you, i'm 3 weeks over and the service manager said he would be talking to VW on my behalf as Its only 6 months and 3,000 miles since my EGR replacement. Mines gone back in today for another go at diagnostics analysis as nothing wrong showed up in last Thursday's checks except the light came straight on after a reset. I took it home for the B/hol weekend. The cali is running as sweet as a nut and showing an average of 38 MPG on my 30 mile A road trip to the dealership its just that the steady orange engine management alarm light is on all the time.

4 months out of warranty, 6 months since EGR valve replacement.

Pistolknight said:
update;

Not the EGR valve this time but a similarly named Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor. Bang goes another £400. Should be up and running again just in time for COTF.

Sounds expensive. When the sensor went on my transporter recently the VW assist man said the sensor cost £100. Was an easy job to replace as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

When our light came on, the initial thought was the exhaust pressure sensor. But a plug in revealed it was the EGR valve; reset and been fine for a week but I suspect it will go again; probably when we are in the wilds of Northern Spain next month!!

Well £650 later an mine has been replaced - wtf?

So on the 2010 T5.1 model 2.0 140 there is a known issue with the EGR or rather it is known by the garages and the forums but VW refuse to confirm even though they are on the third variant and the dealer across their sites has done 200 now. We tried for a goodwill contribution and VW have refused. . .so far.

That's not such good news is it. I sense a battle though :lol:

I had the flashing engine-glow warning at the weekend, now the engine warning light is on permanently. VW assistance confirmed an EGR valve fault/failure yesterday and I'm booked in at Birmingham Van Centre tomorrow.

I was told by the assistance operative that there is a known VW bulletin concerning the EGR valve on the 180 and gave me the reference number,TPi 2029882/2. This indicates a known problem with the part, either design or durability I guess and I will be using this in my discussions with VW Customer Service about goodwill contributions. There is no way I'm footing 100% of the bill to replace a known faulty part on a 4 year old vehicle with less that 22k on the clock!! :x

She's getting (very expensively) fixed tomorrow at Birmingham Van Centre.

£700 + VAT for the part
'8 maybe 9' hours labour + £75 p/h + VAT

Gulp :cry:

Case opened with VW Customer Care and discussions with BVC concerning goodwill. They've indicated that there will be some, not sure how much.

I need a lie down.

Cali_Freaks said:

£700 + VAT for the part

Case opened with VW Customer Care and discussions with BVC concerning goodwill. They've indicated that there will be some, not sure how much.

I need a lie down.

So is that the price to change an EGR valve on a 180 or are they doing more than that?

+ Custard - just the EGR valve replacement
+ Martin - will do....

Cali_Freaks said:

£700 + VAT for the part

I need a lie down.

The EGR valve is £700 + VAT. Book time to remove and replace is 3.3 hours plus any diagnostic work on top, say half an hours labour making it just under 4 hours work.

8 or 9 hours labour is massively excessive!!!

Bring it down to us, sounds like you will save a lot of money!

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Cali_Freaks said:

£700 + VAT for the part

I need a lie down.

The EGR valve is £700 + VAT. Book time to remove and replace is 3.3 hours plus any diagnostic work on top, say half an hours labour making it just under 4 hours work.

8 or 9 hours labour is massively excessive!!!

Bring it down to us, sounds like you will save a lot of money!

cheers

Thanks Alex for the information and please also thank Steve for taking the time to call me back today.

I'm waiting for a call back from BVC and I guess I'll be having an interesting discussion with Steve the Service Manager there :censor

I really wish it was practical for me to get down to SMG, but a combination of time, fuel, kids etc.. mean it's not possible this time.

I'll post more updates later....

Job completed.
Part cost £659.72, supplied at £217.71 'goodwill'
Labour £85.63, also 'goodwill'
Plus extras such as coolant & gasket.
TOTAL paid £383.93 inc. VAT.

Quite a turnaround from an original quote of £1601.66, thanks in no small way to the advice & guidance given to me from Steve & Alex from SMG. :thanks

Glad that worked out well for you.

£1600 for an EGR valve seems incredible - especially on such a new low mileage vehicle.

Thanks for letting us know.

Cali_Freaks said:

£700 + VAT for the part

I need a lie down.

On the last of warranty I've had the same light come on, yes it's EGR valve failure. 2011 with only 15000 on the clock. Hoping they will honour the warranty. Still waiting to hear. If it's a common problem what's to stop the new part doing the same....it's a bit of a worry!

This happened to our 2010 polo last month 1050m on clock. The garage got a concession on parts from vw. I didn't think this was good enough as car was only 3 month out of warranty and bearing in mind it's was bought from and serviced by the dealer who was doing the repairs in the end dealers gave concession as well £1900 saved. My concerns are that it happens to the cali

Good news VW are going to pay for the EGR part and labour, also a new passenger door lock which has been playing up for a while (doesn't open with one click of the central locking).
They have told me they will replace the part with an updated version of the part. If it's job is to filter the carbon to lower the emissions, what's to stop the new part clogging up. Should I give it a good old blast every now and again to try and clear it out (I don't know whether that works or not) or am I likely to see the same problem in the next 15000 miles. :help Does anyone know?

They told me yesterday that the warranty works like this; mine was out on the 8th of June 2014. As long as I had called and booked it in with the problem up until closing time on the 8th it would be covered, even if it wasn't in the workshop until the following week.

I'm slightly disillusioned that I have bought a really expensive camper, and really expensive things go wrong at such an early stage. I was hoping for quality and reliability. I was also hoping my much loved Charlie Brown would be with me for 10 plus years, and give me very few problems along the way.

Well done to Les at Hereford Van Centre though, you saved me a packet! :thanks

Good evening all,

Great start to 2015 - New Years Day returning from the beach and we were greeted by a flashing glow plug light and limp mode. Vehicle is a 180 DSG registered in March 2011. Owned from new, maintained by VW and now circa 9 months out of warranty.

Following diagnostics on Friday the nice man from VW service rang and informed me that a new EGR is needed and the repair is going to be over £1200 inc VAT. I asked him to try for good will and the computer response offered 14% discount.

As you might imagine I'm not very happy with this given it is a know fault (TPi 2029882/2) so I've now opened a case with VWCS, it's been escalated to a more senior manager and they are going to call me back tomorrow.

I note Cali_Freaks managed to get their bill down to £383.93 inc vat (assuming it's the same fault).

My request to you is for any further advice or comparable cases (out of warranty - goodwill for EGR's) that I might have ready for my next discussion with VWCS.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Well dare I mention. New 180 DSG delivered on Monday 1st December 2014. Engine Management Light on, on Sunday 14th December 2014 - 901 miles covered.
Reset by VW Assistance - NO power loss or other symptoms. Light came on again 48 hrs later, once again NO engine symptoms. Diagnostics showed EGR problem. VW Germany ordered new EGR , different part number and looks different + software upgrade.
Still running well. Now 2000 + miles on new EGR.
On my Land Rover PUMA 2 x EGR valves + EGR cooler in 4 yrs and 52000 miles, but took 6 tries to refill cooling system without airlock.
The sooner we just get rid of all this anti-pollution stuff and accept that we are all doomed the better.
No one outside the EU is fitting this equipment, the EU vehicle manufacturers are not even fitting it to vehicles sold outside the EU, just to us dummies.

Ask them to look at factory goodwill as well (they should do this first!).

If you are a good customer of theirs, ask them for some discount and then customer care will also match whatever they put in if there is not any goodwill from the factory.

Are you the first owner of the van? Full service history?

Feel free to send me your chassis number and mileage and I can check a couple of things for you if you like?

cheers