Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR Valve failure on 2010 Cali

WelshGas said:
Well dare I mention. New 180 DSG delivered on Monday 1st December 2014. Engine Management Light on, on Sunday 14th December 2014 - 901 miles covered.
Reset by VW Assistance - NO power loss or other symptoms. Light came on again 48 hrs later, once again NO engine symptoms. Diagnostics showed EGR problem. VW Germany ordered new EGR , different part number and looks different + software upgrade.
Still running well. Now 2000 + miles on new EGR.
On my Land Rover PUMA 2 x EGR valves + EGR cooler in 4 yrs and 52000 miles, but took 6 tries to refill cooling system without airlock.
The sooner we just get rid of all this anti-pollution stuff and accept that we are all doomed the better.
No one outside the EU is fitting this equipment, the EU vehicle manufacturers are not even fitting it to vehicles sold outside the EU, just to us dummies.

Couldn't agree more.

That's why I'm buying another petrol car tomorrow. Once the Cali goes, no more diesels on our driveway. :upsidedown :bananadance :cool

Hi All
Charlie is 3 yrs 9 months and has done 20,000 miles

Questions :-
Is the EGR failure fuel quality related - supermarket/standard/premium
Is it driving style related, bearing in mind that mine is only doing 2000rpm at 70mph ish
Is there an additive that might prevent carbon build up
Is there anything I can do to avoid being a statistic here (eg run at high revs for a spell each journey when the engine is at temp)?
Does this fault happen on delivery vans, I can't believe it does or there would be a hue and cry.
Would it be possible to survey members experience to try to get to the bottom of why some fail and some don't or do they all fail!.

Worried

Aka Ray

Don't know, but mine failed at 870 miles, within 3 weeks of delivery.
So, in my case I would presume a faulty valve.

People seem to be confusing EGR valves and DPF filters.
EGR valve allows exhaust gasses into the engine to hasten warm up and increase temperature during the combustion process but in doing so increased the particulates-soot-coming out of the exhaust so they then had to fit-------
DPF filters to catch the soot.
EGR valves don't benefit from hard driving but DPF filters do, if you look in your hand book it tells you at what speed to drive to help keep it clear.
The EGR failed on my 10 plate T5 Kombi at 60k miles one week inside warranty due to condensation under the black cap where the wires plug in, the new one fitted was a modified part. They are a common failure.

We picked up a copy of VW Driver magazine in the dealers and in there is an advert for a pipe which replaces the EGR valve completely. It was for the older 5 cylinder engine but I would think the theory is the same for the later 2L engines. It does state that this will cause the error message but that it can be coded out.
I was under the impression though that if fitted originally it had to be retained for the MOT??
On our old Bongo I blanked the EGR completely. Ran smoother, bit more power and slightly better MPG. It sailed through the emissions MOT test as well but as Bongos are grey imports different rules seem to apply.

My engine management light came on Monday. Scanned the ecu: EGR Solenoid!!
Cleared the code and it came back the next day. Late 2010 180DSG with 9000mls on the clock. Light use only. Now not pulling off well in 1/2nd.

Still waiting on the roof and steering column....thats been over 18months since the letter acknowledging the claim.

Fed up now. Any ideas what I should say..?

You should get some goodwill on the EGR, as yours is in that period with the known problem, I think I read that some people got 70% goodwill.

Ours went on 2011 180 with 20k on clock, again no warning and just as we went on ferry to Holland! We did not see loss of power and ran it a few hundred miles to get home. Then had it into dealer which cost £1250 paid out by warrantywise... See earlier threads. EGR is a big bit of kit.... Seems the new one is redesigned? Also staying away from supermarket diesel from now on...l..

Ours went on 2011 180 with 20k on clock, again no warning and just as we went on ferry to Holland! We did not see loss of power and ran it a few hundred miles to get home. Then had it into dealer which cost £1250 paid out by warrantywise... See earlier threads. EGR is a big bit of kit.... Seems the new one is redesigned? Also staying away from supermarket diesel from now on...l..

I'm with you in the budget fuel train of thought. Although I've got no trouble ( touch wood) I only put in premium quality diesel at either BP or Esso where possible in a bid to try and maintain everything in good working order

Like to add the following, regarding the EGR valve:
Just like Snowy55 mentioned, exhaust gasses are redirected to the inlet manifold. This is done to reduce the amount of oxygen which then reduces the temperature in the combustion chamber (less oxygen to burn). By doing this, the amount of NOx is reduced but flipside is that you are left with an incomplete combustion (generating soot, hence the DPF).
In my search on the web I found that this valve is open when you are not asking a lot of power (so 100 kph on cruise control) and is closed when you are operating in the high(er) power range.

I hope this is useful

SMG :- Why can't I have it replaced before it fails! in my business it's called planned maintenance. Why do I have to break down, as the dealer who did my last service has assured me that it will, in the not to distant future. A recall is too much to hope for?

SMG :- Why can't I have it replaced before it fails! in my business it's called planned maintenance. Why do I have to break down, as the dealer who did my last service has assured me that it will, in the not to distant future. A recall is too much to hope for?

Never see anyone from SMG on here any more, it is a shame as we used to get some good information from them!

Totally agree we had an introduction from Alex's replacement saying he was going to be more active than Alex I don't remember him posting since very disappointing.:headbang

Maybe its time to get another dealer on here for technical stuff

Concur Alex fed forum with much helpful information and this is now lacking, His personal effort on the tecnical side is greatly missed.
On the back of this effort I am sure SMG got much extra business, I am am going local now rather than driving an hour for by forth coming MOTand DSG oil change.

I've just joined the EGR replacement club. 40k miles on a Dec 2010 180 manual, 15 months out of warranty. Failed out of the blue with the yellow engine management light coming on and loss of power in low gears.

Fortunately VW Edinburgh already got goodwill approval from VWCV to provide the £650 part for free so I'm 'just' paying £243 for labour, gasket etc. And this comes on top of a £519 bill to replace the cambelt and water pump which is being done at the same time and which there's been a backlog of parts since Jan. it's been an expensive week ... But top marks to VW Edinburgh for good service.

Damm and Double Drat! Last night I went to drive the Cali and glow plug light was flashing and was in limp home mode. Stopped and restarted and it was ok. Called garage today and they say it's likely the beginning of egr valve failing. I'm well gutted. It's only just turned 5 years old vw Fsh and only done 30k - I'm not best pleased! What with rusting roof, expensive cambelt and water pump replacement this year, its turning out to be an expensive time :-(

Mak
Damm and Double Drat! Last night I went to drive the Cali and glow plug light was flashing and was in limp home mode. Stopped and restarted and it was ok. Called garage today and they say it's likely the beginning of egr valve failing. I'm well gutted. It's only just turned 5 years old vw Fsh and only done 30k - I'm not best pleased! What with rusting roof, expensive cambelt and water pump replacement this year, its turning out to be an expensive time :-(
Make sure you get some "goodwill "contribution from Vw. Many others have if you read through this thread.

Mak

Make sure you get some "goodwill "contribution from Vw. Many others have if you read through this thread.
Yes mate I'm going to certainly try, thanks for advise ;-)

Not sure if it's the EGR. we had the EGR issue but it flagged up with the amber engine light not glow plug.... After work done etc last weekend had glow plug light flashing which stopped when switching on and off, filled up with top grade esoteric supreme and since have not had light come on...... Did not have limp home problem though. Hope this helps, might be worth a fill up of quality fuel?

Not sure if it's the EGR. we had the EGR issue but it flagged up with the amber engine light not glow plug.... After work done etc last weekend had glow plug light flashing which stopped when switching on and off, filled up with top grade esoteric supreme and since have not had light come on...... Did not have limp home problem though. Hope this helps, might be worth a fill up of quality fuel?
Thanks for advice. As it happens whenever possible I always use the top grade diesel and never use supermarkets but what the previous owner used during the 19k he put on the clock god only knows. It's booked in for a diagnostic check soon so I'll know for sure whats what.

Just out of interest, how much does a diagnostic check cost?

Hi all new here and just signed up because I was looking for info on this problem. We have a 2011 with very low miles (sub 20,000) which was under warranty when we bought it privately in UK. EGR went first last year but VW Assist reset it and it seemed fine. Went again this year and wouldn't clear. No loss of power. Replaced out of warranty for £858 (no VAT here). Garage explained problem for diesels in Jersey is we never get the valve up to operating temperature. It's an issue for all diesels here because of short distances. Recommended a couple of longer trips each year to blast it. £250 on the ferry and a baguette and beer better than replacing the EGR again. It's a worry though: like someone said it's an expensive bit of kit

Breeze Poole have quoted me £75.00p which is basically their hourly rate! Took it for a drive this morning, drove fine on full power but now the engine management light is permanently on - GRRRRRRRRRRR

Breeze Poole have quoted me £75.00p which is basically their hourly rate! Took it for a drive this morning, drove fine on full power but now the engine management light is permanently on - GRRRRRRRRRRR

I had that on mine it was the exhaust sensor.