Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric blanket

Haven`t recently but have in the past. I like my warmth especially warm feet. Single one rolls/folds up nice and small and turned through 180 degrees to be close to the 240v outlet, which allows controller to be at hand.

Give it a try, one way or another you will be able to decide if it`s worth it to you.

Bob

No, but we have used a hot water bottle - safer and more effective. You could also follow Gladstone's tip - he used to fill his with tea and drink it in the morning (but I think it was a stone hot water bottle).

Argo&Liebe said:
Does any of you ever used an electric blanket in the Cali? :?

Is this the overblanket type for staying on all night?

Would only be able to use on hookup & only if your cable will handle the amps, as I suspect it will be high.

Can't see the point really :crazy thicker quilt :thumb

You can get 12v electric blankets (Google it) but I have never tried one.
--Nick

I have to say that after our first trip out easter Sunday that I would seriously consider trying an electric blanket or something similar. We took sleeping bags.
We slept in the roof ( big mistake) it was nobbling. Tried the heater but the heat just don't seem to want to go up stairs although it did raise the temperature by a couple of degrees. I know this is a learning curve for us but we really enjoyed our first day away and many more to come.

Where were you? We were WAY too hot in the roof on Thursday night (heater on 3) and got the balance right to have the heater on 1 all night - mainly to stop the dog whining downstairs! Or perhaps this is the effect of a topper after all? First use of it as it was raining and I suppose we're double glazed now up top

I have to say that after our first trip out easter Sunday that I would seriously consider trying an electric blanket or something similar. We took sleeping bags.
We slept in the roof ( big mistake) it was nobbling. Tried the heater but the heat just don't seem to want to go up stairs although it did raise the temperature by a couple of degrees. I know this is a learning curve for us but we really enjoyed our first day away and many more to come.

Think a roof topper would help a lot with warmth, draughts etc.

Have a look at this thread.
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/internal-topper.9224/page-2
The internal liner (Cali-Cozy) really does make a big difference in temperature upstairs.
We have a Comfortz topper as well as the liner but haven't bothered with it since fitting the liner. I think we woujld only fit the topper as well in extremely cold conditions or if we knew it was going to rain very heavily. And, of course, the liner stays in place all the time.
We use a good qaulity down sleeping bag (double) and have always been OK sleeping up top.

Just put the heating on 1 and turn it off from under the quilt / sleeping bag. I did wear sox one night my feet were so cold.

It's also really warm downstairs with the roof down If you can predict the cold?

We slept downstairs this weekend with the heating on 2, roof up but the bed lowered to try to trap some of the heat and were very snug. When we got up we raised the bed so we could stand up and felt the colder air from upstairs whoosh down

Yes thats exactly what I mean but we were up in the roof with all the cold air. At least we have learnt by our mistake. wont be doing that again in a hurry.!!!!!

WTF?
Why would you sleep in the roof.......with sleeping bags???? That space is for chucking all the stuff you don't need whilst you sleep.

Lovely comfy bed downstairs. Quilted under blanket from John Lewis. Nice big duvet from home with a throw if required ( bedding colour coded to match interior obviously). Super cosy.
There is clearly something wrong with your heater. When ours is on it literally burns your bear feet. After twenty minutes we are baking.
If you need more warmth, put the roof down. Still cold? Try a bit of "lurrvin".
S.

Did you even take the time to read what I put in the first place.
Helpful comments I don't mind but bad language and patronising l don't like.
I joined this club to find helpful people. Thankyou.
Just to be sure you know the VW California is designed as a 4 berth camper.
Not just somewhere to chuck the stuff you don't need.

I'm pretty sure sidepod was jesting Peter so don't take things so literally.
Once you've been on here for a while you'll get to recognise the characters and writing styles.
Sidepod is one of the more humorous ones and I enjoy his posts on the whole!

We always sleep up top, used to have sleeping bags but now have a snug duvet. It was bitterly cold when we went away over Xmas but found it fine with my socks on!
We've got a vanarak roof cover which helped a bit - we never have the heater on at night it gets way too hot for us even on 1

Back