Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Charger Points

DavidPB

DavidPB

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Pardon my ignorance but is it possible to plug a California Ocean T6 into a normal car electric charger point (ie at a garage etc) and if so can I use the same plug as used on a campsite or do I need an adapter?

No, definately not.

Also, it your toast gets jammed in the toaster,
don't use a knife to try and get it out. :)

:welcomeBye the way.

Thank you very much Westfalia - I didn’t think it would be that simple but worth a punt:thanks

Thank you very much Westfalia - I didn’t think it would be that simple but worth a punt:thanks
All to do with ACDC apparently, when they first appeared i also wondered
if i could plug the Cali in,
just for the free parking. :)

All to do with ACDC apparently, when they first appeared i also wondered
if i could plug the Cali in,
just for the free parking. :)
I have thought of doing the same.
Just make a dummy.
Buy one of these:
1584817175921.png
Buy one of these:
1584817235254.png
Connect both with a decent wire (but don't connect the copper wires!!!)

Plug both ends in the appropriate plug and you are free to park.

You don't need a card because you won't be charging anyway.

Must be funny to see the people's faces. First they will think: hmm, VW has some nice EV's. Then you enter your van, start your smelly diesel, and take off. :thumb

I have thought of doing the same.
Just make a dummy.
Buy one of these:
View attachment 56408
Buy one of these:
View attachment 56409
Connect both with a decent wire (but don't connect the copper wires!!!)

Plug both ends in the appropriate plug and you are free to park.

You don't need a card because you won't be charging anyway.

Must be funny to see the people's faces. First they will think: hmm, VW has some nice EV's. Then you enter your van, start your smelly diesel, and take off. :thumb
That would have worked in the beginning when those chargers
were new to a lot of people, still new now to some o_O
But now, all electric and plug in hybrid cars have the letter E at the
end of the numberplate

So you'll get busted straight away, also the plug costs 80€.

Pardon my ignorance but is it possible to plug a California Ocean T6 into a normal car electric charger point (ie at a garage etc) and if so can I use the same plug as used on a campsite or do I need an adapter?

Why would you want to use a car charger point? Did you know you can get a an adapter from halfords £6.00 that lets you plug into a normal 13amp socket

1584822732571.png1584822732571.png1584822732571.png

end of the numberplate

In Belgium, they just have normal number plates. You have to know it is an electrical vehicle because you can't tell it by the plate.

Of course, the cost of that EV cable is too high to justify a free parking space.
And why bother to park your van on a crowded EV parking? Take the furthest space, away from all the others. Then when you come back, 3 other cars will have parked up right beside you :talktothehand

end of the numberplate

Is this E thing new? I’ve not seen / noticed it.

Why would you want to use a car charger point? Did you know you can get a an adapter from halfords £6.00 that lets you plug into a normal 13amp socket

View attachment 56411View attachment 56411View attachment 56411
Trouble is, my Cali parked away from house so I cannot charge it unless i am on a campsite which is out of the question at the moment. I have been running the engine to keep it charged but I am not sure how long the leisure batteries will last without charging from the mains. Having said all that, I suppose I could get the adaptor you mention and park van in road so can plug into house occasionally.

Trouble is, my Cali parked away from house so I cannot charge it unless i am on a campsite which is out of the question at the moment. I have been running the engine to keep it charged but I am not sure how long the leisure batteries will last without charging from the mains. Having said all that, I suppose I could get the adaptor you mention and park van in road so can plug into house occasionally.
I wouldn't worry too much as long as you aren't running the
fridge or heater.
Plugging it in once each month is good but not doing it wouldnt
be a disaster.

I have never plugged my van in once a month, and I generally don't choose a hook-up; leisure batteries still last a long weekend after 9 years

I have never plugged my van in once a month, and I generally don't choose a hook-up; leisure batteries still last a long weekend after 9 years
[/QUOTE
I wouldn't worry too much as long as you aren't running the
fridge or heater.
Plugging it in once each month is good but not doing it wouldnt
be a disaster.
Thank you that’s very reassuring.

So if I am not using anything electrical inside the van, should the leisure battery remain fully charged? I ask because I am taking the van to shops etc because leisure battery drops from 100% to about 70% after a week unless I use it.

So if I am not using anything electrical inside the van, should the leisure battery remain fully charged? I ask because I am taking the van to shops etc because leisure battery drops from 100% to about 70% after a week unless I use it.
Are you sure you do not have any adapters plugged into the 12v sockets or the B pillar inverter? All such adapters use power even if they are not in use.

Also, don’t go by the %, what is the voltage?

Nothing plugged in. Power switches off. Display states 12.4 V 80% and -0.04 A underneath that.

Nothing plugged in. Power switches off. Display states 12.4 V 80% and -0.04 A underneath that.
Ok. Was your vehicle a factory order or from stock/demonstrator?

It was an ex demonstrator.
I’m afraid that could be the problem. Dealers know about keeping the engine battery charged but when it comes to the fact that the California is a camper and has Leisure Batteries they seem to have a total blind spot.
The likelihood that the Leisure Batteries went totally flat at the Dealership, have been damaged and won’t hold a charge for a prolonged period, is fairly high.
If camping on Mains Hookup, no problem. But if wildcamping they may not last for the 3 - 5 days using the fridge and lights etc: that members report with good batteries.

Ignoring the reading on the control panel, have you
started the heater up and put the fridge on.

Not so good then. So will I need to keep running the van to keep the batteries in good condition until I can take it to the garage then. As I bought the van last July/August it should still be covered by warranty. Incidentally, I have been away three times and had it on hook up twice except for one or two nights when wild camping or at a Britstop.
Thank you Welsh Gas for your advice. Much appreciated.

I had the fridge and heater on last time I was away but not sure if this was on hook up. I will try starting the engine and putting on the fridge and heater in the morning and report back on this post. Thank you.

Not so good then. So will I need to keep running the van to keep the batteries in good condition until I can take it to the garage then. As I bought the van last July/August it should still be covered by warranty. Incidentally, I have been away three times and had it on hook up twice except for one or two nights when wild camping or at a Britstop.
Thank you Welsh Gas for your advice. Much appreciated.
If you cannot put it on Mains Charger then that’s all you can do I’m afraid.