Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Door battery drain

M

Millymilomoo1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi, we have camped for a week walked and used our bikes and our electric door stopped working! changed country and then it works so figured it runs off engine battery! camped for 2 days and its stopped again, any idea if you can change how this takes power? currently considering running the engine for 45 mins so that it doesnt flatten completely!!

Hi, we have camped for a week walked and used our bikes and our electric door stopped working! changed country and then it works so figured it runs off engine battery! camped for 2 days and its stopped again, any idea if you can change how this takes power? currently considering running the engine for 45 mins so that it doesnt flatten completely!!
Assuming you have the same buttons, just switch the door to manual.
“Changed country”…. Typo?

I'm afraid there is no way of changing the power source for the electric sliding door. It is an integral part of the " Transporter" base vehicle system.
Camping = Manual Mode.

If you are using the door a lot, then you could drain the battery if you are not on EHU and parked up for a week.
Our Ocean has a button on the dash to switch the door to manual mode.
If you have solar you can get it wired to also charge the starter battery. (You’d need a dual charge controller I.e. Epever).
I also carry a small lithium power pack for emergency jump starts. (Never had to use it).

hi thanks will consider a lithium power pack, we are on EHU which is why we are wondering if it is a fault with the door! having driven for 6 hours today the yellow door light is back and the door will not open automatically! car battery full charge and we are again EHU! another trip to VW dealer

Assuming you have the same buttons, just switch the door to manual.
“Changed country”…. Typo?
lol no we drove from one country to another jsut trying to show we are using the van engine

hi thanks will consider a lithium power pack, we are on EHU which is why we are wondering if it is a fault with the door! having driven for 6 hours today the yellow door light is back and the door will not open automatically! car battery full charge and we are again EHU! another trip to VW dealer
Definite fault I’m afraid.

9 years with electric doors on my T5, never had this problem, a snapped cable yes.

If you are using the door a lot, then you could drain the battery if you are not on EHU and parked up for a week.
Our Ocean has a button on the dash to switch the door to manual mode.
If you have solar you can get it wired to also charge the starter battery. (You’d need a dual charge controller I.e. Epever).
I also carry a small lithium power pack for emergency jump starts. (Never had to use it).
We didn’t know that you could switch the electric (soft close) door to manual. Could you say where this switch is .. we have a 2019 Ocean DSG 150.

Today we had an issue with our electric sliding door. Just an initial click, small movement, then nothing.
Thought it’s -2 c maybe it’s the cold, so stick on the auxiliary heater for a while… still didn’t open.
Mmmm… maybe needs a trickle charge, so decided to do that after walking the dog. Stuck on the hook up, tried it and heh ho, it opened / closed no issue.
Now was it the very slight rise in temp as I walked the dog or the hook up !
Whatever, it’s working and it needed a trickle charge .. lol

Just to understand correctly: it's just the last part, the soft close, that's electric, right ? Not the sliding door completely opening or closing electrically (I've seen these in Istanbul, but it wasn't a VW) ?

We didn’t know that you could switch the electric (soft close) door to manual. Could you say where this switch is .. we have a 2019 Ocean DSG 150.
Mine is a MY21 Ocean with fully electric door. The switch is on the dash to the left of the heater controls.

As circled. There are two buttons - one to open and close the door from the cockpit and the other to switch to manual opening mode.

20240107_171947.jpg

Just to understand correctly: it's just the last part, the soft close, that's electric, right ? Not the sliding door completely opening or closing electrically (I've seen these in Istanbul, but it wasn't a VW) ?
I probably shouldn’t have said ‘soft close’ as it’s obviously misleading. It’s a fully electric door, it’s just that it’s slow soft closure and I associate that with ‘kitchen drawer, soft close’ … lol

No. The entire door is electrically operated and opens/closes fully either by pressing a button on the dash, a button on the key fob or by pulling the door handle and letting go. Quite useful if your arms are full or for letting passengers unfamiliar with the door in or out.

Ok ! I'll check mine tonight: either this was an option I didn't choose, or I'm in for a surprise :) !

Yes the buttons are right there on the dash. One to open and close and the other to change to manual.
Every day’s a school day, thanks

I probably shouldn’t have said ‘soft close’ as it’s obviously misleading. It’s a fully electric door, it’s just that it’s slow soft closure and I associate that with ‘kitchen drawer, soft close’ … lol
We have a 5.1 with soft close so the door is manual but the only electrical assistance is the soft close. It is excellent as it does away with that loud thud of the manual shut.

9 years with electric doors on my T5, never had this problem, a snapped cable yes.
Electric door broke just before Xmas whilst I was away, cable snap and tried to get it seen in Spain but VW Express Service had a 3 week wait, not so express!

Now home, so have booked into my local dealer, for also can't see it until mid-March for inspection and repair, so just wondering if this is a very expensive job, or a quick fix, as not sure if I should eat this month or not!

Best wishes,

Kirstie

IMG_2871.jpeg

IMG_2865.jpeg

If you’re handy with DIY I believe it’s a fairly inexpensive job to do. Tutorial on YouTube.