Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Hookup (EHU) not working

I don't have a diagram and mines an Ocean, but you are correct with point 2.

The Oceans charger is next to the fridge, so I'd guess that the Beach is near your toolbox, left rear side? or near the battery under seat?

If they disconnect the RCDs van side, then try resetting it on power, this should discount the RCD, which often go faulty. Some are more sensitive to out of balance currents and will require a connected load to test.

It 'should' be easy enough to access each screwed connection (checking for tightness as @Paul Morris correctly mentioned above) on all points without removing any panels other than the removable hatches (not sure about a Beach tho).

OK -- just had a call from the van centre -- slightly worrying as this kind of thing is not usual for them, it's a local vw van service centre that clearly doesn't see many Californias.

They have identified that the fault is as I described it but want to take the panels out of the van to look at the wiring loom more closely.

They seem to have the wrong wiring diagram as had to tell them there's not an inverter in my Beach.

My questions are...

1) does anyone here have the wiring diagram for the 240v side of my beach (early 2019) that they could share with me?

2) I'm assuming it's something simple like input --> RCD --> 3pin socket with separate wire to a 240v to 12v charger --> leisure battery. is that correct

3) can anyone tell me where the 240v to 12v charger is located? under seat perhaps?

I've asked them to look under the seat / test RCD & charger first -- I'm not super-keen that they start removing internal panels at this point as I don't really want internal damage associated with panels coming on and off.
I had the same problem at my local van centre, they had not done it before either.

Try and get your dealer to call mine see if they can offer any advice

Thanks everyone -- that's unlocked the next bit of the puzzle -- at least this van centre is small and they let me speak with the technician directly & he now has got the correct wiring diagram

what a silly place to put the charger.....

The charger is behind the panel between under the 2 windows in the back behind the passenger seat. Opposite the sliding door. The plugs are known to become loose on them. There is a thread somewhere on here as to its exact location and how to access it

The charger is behind the panel between under the 2 windows in the back behind the passenger seat. Opposite the sliding door. The plugs are known to become loose on them. There is a thread somewhere on here as to its exact location and how to access it
Yah same thing on mine, I got VW to do it, I don't bend that well anymore.

OK -- they have found a water leak from the side window that has gone into some of the electrical components that they think is causing the problem.

so also needs window repairs

:-(

OK -- they have found a water leak from the side window that has gone into some of the electrical components that they think is causing the problem.

so also needs window repairs

:-(
Warranty I hope and ill be checking mine as well!

Follow up:

All repaired under warranty.

Side window leak meant water dripped into the AC/DC convertor (which was full of water).

Window replaced and AC/DC convertor replaced too

Maybe not such a silly place to put the charger - you'd never have noticed the leak... :thumb

Maybe not such a silly place to put the charger - you'd never have noticed the leak... :thumb
That sounds like a VWCS response! Just before they say the kitchen has to be remove! (Ocean).:eek::eek:

Same issue but my RCD shuts almost instantly. Might be charger as well? Wasn't under any rain last months but heavy colds.

Can only be charger, RCD, socket or wiring within the van, in that order.
If the RCD is easiest to access, can you disconnect the van wires (power off!) and try resetting with power back on - the RCD may be faulty.
If nothing is plugged in to your socket, I'd guess that there's condensation around the charger...

Sorry Matt, hook-up cable will not affect the RCD, has to be 'downstream' (in the van) causing the issue. An RCD only detects an imbalance between the live & neutral currents going into and then out of the van.

Yeah you are right, someone here had a faulty one that was causing a trip out but thinking about it now it was the post at the site that was probably tripping.

Back