Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric hookup

J

jmf

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,

Just about to order a few bits and pieces for my soon to arrive Ocean. Is it best just to go for a 25m length, or would a shorter one suffice?

Thanks

I got a 25 metre cable and it's really long bulky and heavy and gets twisted all the time, really annoying.... but it's about 20 metres from van to electricity point in my house.

so I'll get another one that's 15 metres for taking camping

Reactions: jmf
Tip to reduce twisting of cables - when coiling up loop 5 or 6 turns on one side of the coil then similar on the other side etc.etc.
I learnt my cabling technique from film electricians. They do a under and over coil in their hands.

Alan

I used a Lawn Mower type extension lead and swapped the ends. Only 13 amp but as I don't use any large powered items in the Cali it's OK for running the fridge and leisure battery charging. (travel type kettle used)
Really compact.
I do have full size conventional 16amp cables but never take them now,

This type of thing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-METER...h=item51e39c5433:g:tzQAAOSw0odbvImC:rk:3:pf:0

Hi @B J G Excellent idea -- thanks

Question : what "large powered items" (or combination of) would require 16A ?
(in the context of camping of course)

especially since it's reported here that some campsites only supply up to 10A?

Last edited:
Another question for someone knowledgeable... I read somewhere that 1.5mm cable is nowadays rated for 15/16A (used to require 2.5mm as in our heavyweight hookup cables). So the 1.5mm (I assume) lawnmower lead that B J G listed above should be good for 16A connectors anyway... always assuming of course that it's 3 core rather than 2 core, ie it's earthed.

Warning: needs an electrician/other grown-up to verify this.