Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electrics over winter

Timø

Timø

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all. Please forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere in a forum already, I gave up searching after reading about my hundredth thread!
Bit of an odd question really. I regularly pass a van on someone’s driveway which always seems to be connected to the electric. I can see the cable going to his house. The van never seems to move much and I doubt anyone’s living in there. What’s your advice on parking the van up for a few weeks at a time without using it. Should I charge the leisure batteries every now and then, or even leave it permanently hooked up? I can’t be the first to ponder this!

You can leave it permanently hooked up if you want but it's not necessary.
I think the general consensus is that you give them a 24hr charge once a month.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You can leave it permanently hooked up if you want but it's not necessary.
I think the general consensus is that you give them a 24hr charge once a month.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thanks Sm-G. That’s really helpful.

Thanks Sm-G. That’s really helpful.
Connect permanently and get a mains timer to switch on Monthly or how often you want..

No damage done if left connected.

Probably more damage done if you let the batteries go flat so if unsure as to how long you are not going to be using the vehicle and about remembering to charge regularly then just plug it in.

I must admit I don't hook up the van to mains scrupulously every few weeks but probably ought to.

However more important in any case is to give the van a run regularly to keep oil seals supple, brake discs unpitted etc etc. Try not to leave it for weeks without driving it during the 'off' season.

Driving will also of course will keep the batteries is reasonable health even though the alternator won't top the leisure batts up to 100% like a plug-in will. And a hook-up to mains power will also trickle charge the starter battery.

Oh yes and ensure you run the aircon (ie let it get properly cold for a few mins) every month or so over winter.

Sorry, slightly off topic there.