Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electrical Hook Up Cable / VW original cable with EU 2-pin

T

Traveller1977

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, I currently have experienced in the past in Europe on some campsites a mild "electrical pulse" when touching the car sliding door underside when plugged in, and someone I remember mentioned some EU campsites aren't earthed properly. However I'm currently hooked up at home using a New Cable hook up (from a recommended company on here, cannot remember 100% where from at this time but all official) and it's plugged in to the original VW short extension to 2-pin, and back into a 2-pin to 3-pin converter plug and plugged in to our house electrics. Yet when just in bare feet I touched the car and got this "mild pulse electric feeling" and also when I touched the 3.5mm headphone jack in the car the same thing? Is there an issue with the 25m extension cable, the house Electrics, or is it because it's connected using the VW small extension 2-pin now connected to a 3-Pin plug??

I'm really confused as to why it's doing this. And of course, put shoes on, and you don't get the electric shock? Any advice please, thanks,

I'm not an electrical expert, but a 2 pin plug has no earth; Sounds like your rubber soled shoes are providing the Earth; Did your house fuse trip?

Also, Its possible to plug a 2 pin in the wrong way round that gives reverse polarity meaning that any appliance could still be live even when switched off.

Get one of these and you can check to see if all is ok (check the 3 pin van plug, house plug):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GNPKHQ9/?tag=eliteelect-21

You may have a fault with you van EHU socket wiring, get it checked out by a professional ASAP and buy a proper lead so it's earthed from home to van...