Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Elevating roof covers

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
How essential are these?

We're a fairly hardy bunch but want to use our van all year round if possible. I'm a little hesitant to add more than maybe a screen cover after all the money we've spent! But they also seem to be a bit of a faff.

Is the upstairs doable with a decent sleeping bag in say 10 degrees air temperature? We've slept in tents before in colder than that.

Obviously want the kids to be comfortable too though!

If they are essential, Vanorak, Iso-top or something else?

You can sleep in it no worries. The thing for me is that I don't want to close it up wet.

For me it seemed daft not to spend a relatively small amount extra to increase flexibility and options.

We have both a vanorak (which takes literally a few mins to fit and is dead easy) but we will only put it on when the weather is likely to be bad and we are staying in one place for a few days.

If the weather is bad and it's an overnighter, we use a Pucer screen (have a look in the reviews section for his details) which is a really quick fit.

If we're wild camping enroute to somewhere we tend to leave the roof down.

If it is warm enough but wet, the rain overhangs on the roof keep the bellows pretty dry so it's only a problem if it is raining hard and/or windy. You've gotta be going some to get the inside wet!!

Brilliant - thanks!

So if you could only have one, which would it be?

Can only find an email address for Pucer. Is there a website too?

Only one? Depends on your usage. Majority of overnight/multiple day trips = vanorak.
Days out surfing and just one nighters = Pucer screen.

No website for the Pucer screen - He does everything via eBay but doesn't have anything shown on there at the moment.

Here are some pro's and con's of the Pucer vs Vanorak/Kyham Kamper Cosi which I have looked at (I am still tossing up between the two options myself)

Pucer:
PRO: easy to fit, smaller when packed down, you can still use the roof rack and roof box, in the summer it can also keep the roof area cooler, cheaper
CON: no windows so may feel dark (but this could be a plus with the kids

Vanorak:
PRO: has windows, looks better
CON: expensive, cannot use roofbox, larger when packed down

I'm not so sure about same size... here is a pic of both packed up. I've never managed to get the Vanorak back into the bag it came out of - I probably could if I spent time folding etc but I've never been that concerned. We tend to take one or the other or neither, depending on what we are doing.

IMG_1511.jpg

Here is a bit of a close up of the Pucer screen material:

IMG_1512.jpg

Yes even Houdini would struggle to get the Vanorak back into it's original bag!

Sent from my ViewPad7 using Tapatalk

Hi Californiaman, thanks for the pics showing the Pucer material. I would be interested to hear your pro/cons for the Pucer versus Vanarok and why you thought that the Pucer is best for overnight stops.
Thanks
Mark.

It is a tiny bit quicker to put the Pucer on. It is also quicker to take it down and if it has been wet overnight, the Pucer is quicker to get dry enough to stow away.

Having given it some thought, if I could only have one it would be the Vanorak (or Mutze/Kyham camper cozy) etc

Hi, the reason I am leaning towards the Pucer is because when we go skiiing in it (and camp) we will probably take a roof top box to store all the extra gear so therefore the Vanarok wouldn't be suitable. What made you decide on the Vanorak (if you only had one) ?

The vanorak provides better weather protection (but not by much) and I also like the windows.

You won't go far wrong with the Pucer.

Back