Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine Battery charger install.

Great thread. When I bought my van a few years ago, the last owner had simply tucked a CTEK charger in the top of the footwell and I wondered why it was there until I realised the leisure charger didn't do the main battery. This one is simply connected the the 240v mains plug behind the seat. I like the idea of tidying it up like yours and adding a proper switch. Good job that lad

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

I've just bought one of these chargers from Fraron in germany which is compatible with the westfalia control unit and has dual output for two batteries.

https://www.fraron.de/en/a-85859176/

There was a link on another thread on here and i liked the look of it. I've seen far too many failures of the OEM charger so this one seemed to be the best of both. Plus I get back the CTEK charger from my feet.

Grosserfugunprice?

New charger in and running but I've still got to remove the starter battery charger and run a new feed down
48c62395ea9632e809e1ed3da3edf604.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Ey up Sidepod...
So, I've bought all the kit as you listed, the charger arrived this morning - quite surprised to see that the CTEK XS 0.8 is described as a motorbike battery charger (admit I didn't see that on the ebay description when I ordered)??

Have I got the wrong one? Is this sufficient for the job?

Cheers

Matt

CTEK tech data says up to 100Ah.

Should be fine?

Cheers folks :thumb
Think I will return it and get the MXS5.0, long term its maybe the better option...

Cheers folks :thumb
Think I will return it and get the MXS5.0, long term its maybe the better option...
Hi, just wondering if you fitted the CTEK XS 0.8 or change it for a MXS5.0?

Hi, just wondering if you fitted the CTEK XS 0.8 or change it for a MXS5.0?
Morning... Well, yes I did change it for the larger MXS5.0 charger, but then never got around to installing it (instead it's just in the van to use the old fashioned way for now).
But since then I've had to replace the leisure charger with the Fraron and so now I will first try routing the second feed on that unit towards the starter battery as that seems like a neater (and quicker) job...
I will keep the CTEK for emergencies or helping out other poor souls (if the Fraron solution does the trick).
:thumb

Morning... Well, yes I did change it for the larger MXS5.0 charger, but then never got around to installing it (instead it's just in the van to use the old fashioned way for now).
But since then I've had to replace the leisure charger with the Fraron and so now I will first try routing the second feed on that unit towards the starter battery as that seems like a neater (and quicker) job...
I will keep the CTEK for emergencies or helping out other poor souls (if the Fraron solution does the trick).
:thumb
Yea the Fraron May be a better job, no need to route a cable to the engine battery, just connect it to the engine battery cables at the split charge relay.
It had crossed my mind to just go and buy a Fraron, but I’ll go with the CTEK option for now.

There is another option if you don't want to go down the complete CTEK install, but still want a semi-neat solution:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002OHXX60/?tag=eliteelect-21

This you can route back to the starter battery and put the connector plate on the dash somewhere (might even fit into a swtich blank?). Then you just connect the CTEK from the mains socket inside the van (when on hook-up) and then into this connector plate... Keeps the CTEK free to use for other things but yet no mess when you need to charge the van battery...
(it also provides and indicator of the battery strength apparently...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea thats an option that would work also. I've just ordered the CTEK MSX 5.0, so I'll install it hidden beside the standard charger. Will keep the engine battery in good shape over the winter.

Starting to feel like I need a Fraron in my life :sorry

Oh no, has the westy Philips charger failed?

No. Just feeling left out :Depressed
All this Fraron bants

I'm sure we will have to buy one eventually, unless we get lucky.

I am indeed.
Mine was working fine. Gave it a good clean last year. It was chock full of dust and dirt. The vent panel is right by your feet in the exclusive. The fraron unit lied two birds with one stone. The extra charger I had for the starter battery was in a daft place near the pedals and I tended to kick it with my size 12's. Not a bad price either. I gave the old one away to another Norwegian Cali owner who brought up some wheels for me last year. Paid the favour back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

So I got around to fitting my CTEK charger today. I opted for the CTEK MXS 5.0.
I went down a slightly route than Sidepod, I just ran a cable from the circuit breaker and installed a socket beside the leisure battery charger, then just fitted the CTEK and plugged it in.
IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

Where its located it can be viewed through the vent in the fridge panel.
IMG_4141[1].JPG

Over all a very easy job.

Quality work young man. :cheers

Quality work young man. :cheers
Cheers, I may fit a switch at some stage, but I feel it should be okay for the moment. The volt meter you fitted is a good idea, gives a good visual readout of whats happening while its charging.

Back