Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine oil - wrong spec? 2005 2.5l 174 4motion

J

Jmooser

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hello all,

I’m looking at potentially buying a used Cali (232k km on the clock). The car has good service history on the long life intervals, but now on the last service (230k km) I see they used Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 VW spec 502/505...

As far as I read, this is not the correct spec for these engines... I guess the car is switching over to interval service on 1 year / 15k km...

My question is, is there any issue running with this oil until the next service? Anything negative or should it be fine if changes our with the correct spec next time?

Thanks for all the help (on this topic and others!)

I had a recent service and they used fuchs oil so i told
them that i always use the castrol,
he said that its no problem to top up with my castrol.

images-22.jpegimages-24.jpeg

That’s ok I suppose... my question is regarding potential damage running with incorrect spec oil VW 505 vs VW 507.... basically need to do about 3000km before I could realistically change it.

That’s ok I suppose... my question is regarding potential damage running with incorrect spec oil VW 505 vs VW 507.... basically need to do about 3000km before I could realistically change it.
I doubt it, the 505 is the older spec oil that any diesel will like, the 507 is for
diesels with DPF.

Hmm yea. I see actually the difference here is between 505 and 505.01.... should really be using 505.01 when doing regular interval changes. But these guys filled up with 505, which apparently is not ok for PD engines like the 2.5L TDI AXE.

Hi the 5w30 spec oil is for the later engines with dpf BNZ, BPC engine codes and is not designed to be used in the early AXD and AXE engines the reason behind this is to do with the expanding gear in the gear drive system between crank and cam. The viscosity of the 5w30 is to thick for this gear set up. The expanding gear was modified in the second generation R5 engine to allow for the 5w30 oil to be used. With an engine that has done high Km’s then I would not worry to much about the slightly more viscous oil being used as there will be a little ware in the engine anyway. Just change the oil when possible and all will be ok

Back