Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Supermarket Fuel

We do +/- 12000 km a year with our T6 150 ps TSI that needs 95 octane petrol (says VW).
We fill up almost always at a supermarket fuel station. Especially in France where the difference
is sometimes 20 à 25 Eurocents/litre with the "branded" fuels. That means that we save 200 à 300 € a year :).
On holiday we spend this money on food & wine :cool: .
And watch this:

Happy new year 2021!

We do +/- 12000 km a year with our T6 150 ps TSI that needs 95 octane petrol (says VW).
We fill up almost always at a supermarket fuel station. Especially in France where the difference
is sometimes 20 à 25 Eurocents/litre with the "branded" fuels. That means that we save 200 à 300 € a year :).
On holiday we spend this money on food & wine :cool: .
And watch this:

Happy new year 2021!
well i can only say that the older bike made in 1984 that has carbs runs better on a branded fuel more mpg and less prone to preignition but it does have 180000mils on it, but the modern bike just gets more mpg say about 3/5 mpg

I have always used supermarket fuel; there have been any number of comparisons over the years and lots of observations about unmarked tankers leaving the only refinery for miles around to deliver to multiple outlets etc. I think that some additives can help, but I won't pay premium prices.
I have noticed that the further east I have travelled in Europe, the smokier the exhaust becomes, but mpg remains the same.

+ tedgina: 2 quotes from you:

"It is fuel injection so it is very soon that the new fuel goes in also it was running perfect for the last 200 miles......" -----> BMW K 100?

"well i can only say that the older bike made in 1984 that has carbs ......" --> BMW R 100?

On my 1983 BMW R 80 G/S Paris-Dakar (sold last year with 150.000 km) the valves & valve guides
where changed to resist the unleaded fuel. The rubber fuel lines and the carbu membrans where changed to resist the ethanol. If you don't do that then you can have problems with "modern" fuels in older bikes. That time in Germany you had badluck I think.

ps: I am pretty sure that a steamtrain runs better on destilled water :).

I avoid it because I've designed and constructed a few PFS. I did one of the first for Safeway back in 1991 / 92 and rolled out about half a dozen more. I also worked and delivered a concept PFS for Q8 in 1995 which is now commonly adopted. (The brothers who now own Asda were credited for the concept but I'm sorry to say they were about 10years behind the curve).

Having noted the above I would also note that I'm not aware of any supermarket PFS being refurbished. My local Shell PFS has been refurbished 3x in 20years

Similarly I was recently asked to be involved in a renewable roll out scheme for one of the big four. Our works revolved around the assessment and design of the MOE from the roof to meet the guidance and addressing any shortfalls in regards to H&S, access and escape provision. This was made worse by the fact that reports were undertaken in the 2000s highlighting shortcomings to the stores and as no capitial expenditure was forthcoming the works were never carried out.

So in summary if you cant protect life and safety , any installation below the ground, which is at or near end of life is most certainly off the radar.

Last edited:
I am not sure that the supermarkets have PFS that don't fulfill legal regulations.
They don't look as fancy as the branded ones but for me
the color of the cat doesn't matter as long as it catches the mice :).

And now I rest my case and tomorow I fill up my T6 with Eurosuper 95 (what's in a name) at the Shell petrol station with the money I saved during this year and I will tell if the van runs better......

I was talking to someone who worked in the fuel industry recently ( can’t remember who ) but they said that supermarkets buy their fuel cheaper because it’s not as fresh as the big names . Not as big a problem with diesel as petrol which has just gone to 20 % ethanol and goes off very quickly . I’ve always used super diesel because I think it will need less dpf activation on short journeys . No proof . I don’t think you get more mpg . Does anyone know more ? We also were recommended by an outboard mechanic to run our Yamaha 4 hp on superpetrol after we had starting problems . No problems since . We have a Tesco in Poole about 4 years ago where hundreds of cars filled with diesel and broke down very quickly needing very expensive repairs . Don’t know the outcome but think it will be online . So I try to avoid supermarket fuel .

I was one of the ones affected at Branksome Tesco. They paid for all the work to my car which broke down half an hour later in Southampton. They alleged that the trucker had had the tanker filled up, then he sold the diesel/replaced it with something else (the contaminant) then delivered it as normal. He was found not guilty. Going by the numbers of vehicles affected, plus the total replacement of tanks at the garage, it must’ve cost Tesco £3m easy. My invoice alone was as below.

Attachments

• 917336D2-D409-4F7F-8DC6-C00C0D00A6AB.jpeg
    917336D2-D409-4F7F-8DC6-C00C0D00A6AB.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 45
Its amazing how these stories grow.
I actually know what happened with the Tesco contaminated fuel issueand it was not the tanker drivers.
Silicon got intoduced by accident after it was left in the blending tanks at the refinary whilst being used by Harvest. This contaminated fuel got delivered to a number of tesco stores.
Silicone is bad for the sensors (lamba maf etc.) and their insurance paid for many engine repairs.

Last edited:
I am not sure that the supermarkets have PFS that don't fulfill legal regulations.
They don't look as fancy as the branded ones but for me
the color of the cat doesn't matter as long as it catches the mice :).

And now I rest my case and tomorow I fill up my T6 with Eurosuper 95 (what's in a name) at the Shell petrol station with the money I saved during this year and I will tell if the van runs better......

Argh yes but if the cat is 30years old, tired and in need of repair....... also dont confuse legal requirement with life span, maintenance and due diligence.

I was one of the ones affected at Branksome Tesco. They paid for all the work to my car which broke down half an hour later in Southampton. They alleged that the trucker had had the tanker filled up, then he sold the diesel/replaced it with something else (the contaminant) then delivered it as normal. He was found not guilty. Going by the numbers of vehicles affected, plus the total replacement of tanks at the garage, it must’ve cost Tesco £3m easy. My invoice alone was as below.

Probably insurance claim.

+ tedgina: 2 quotes from you:

"It is fuel injection so it is very soon that the new fuel goes in also it was running perfect for the last 200 miles......" -----> BMW K 100?

"well i can only say that the older bike made in 1984 that has carbs ......" --> BMW R 100?

On my 1983 BMW R 80 G/S Paris-Dakar (sold last year with 150.000 km) the valves & valve guides
where changed to resist the unleaded fuel. The rubber fuel lines and the carbu membrans where changed to resist the ethanol. If you don't do that then you can have problems with "modern" fuels in older bikes. That time in Germany you had badluck I think.

ps: I am pretty sure that a steamtrain runs better on destilled water :).
No a cbr1100xx and a gl1200 the gl1200 was made in good old USA so has fuel lines and carbs made run ok their petrol unleaded and more ethanol content

I have a limited amount of real life data for driving with premium diesel (I refuel with premium diesel every ~15 or so tanks to give the pipes a clean).

Diesel 58,807 km 33.96 mpg
Premium 4,349 km 33.17 mpg

a6954009f215b8db3feca693b051b271.jpg

I did a trial with premium diesel in my 2013 Land Rover Discovery TDV6. I ran the tank as low as I dare take it, filled to the brim with premium then measured mpg (both manually calculated and as per the on-board computer), and did the same with regular diesel. Not exactly lab conditions but as close as I could (be bothered to!) practically take it. Anyway, long story short I definitely got better mpg from the premium, but only just about enough to break even on the price difference. And that was on long distance/motorway journeys (like for like comparison). The mpg difference was much less (down to negligible) when just doing short local journeys. Whether the claimed longer term benefits of using premium fuel are valid (cleaning agents etc), who knows...

I have a limited amount of real life data for driving with premium diesel (I refuel with premium diesel every ~15 or so tanks to give the pipes a clean).

You make Oliver pay for fuel. I thought he was your school age son?

You make Oliver pay for fuel. I thought he was your school age son?
He is my 56 year old brother. We drove him and his wife to Northumberland and back for a wedding at the beginning of this year. He paid for a refuel.

Our sons are Benjamin and Jack.

He is my 56 year old brother. We drove him and his wife to Northumberland and back for a wedding at the beginning of this year. He paid for a refuel.

Our sons are Benjamin and Jack.
My mistake. I thought it was a way around paying for the chicken trip.

can I ask what the app is please ?
I only use branded normal fuel, seemed to allow previous engines to pull more cleanly at low rpm.
Choice is limited here to Esso or BP or Morrisons, all premium options being much more (20p litre more.).
trip 2 MPG over last 7K is 37 mostly twisty unduating highland A road driving the, best trip 1 seen 54 and worst 12 !

More ”cleaning agents” can mean more soot for your DPF/EGR though...
Loz
please explain how a (cleaner burning fuel) leaves more ash i thought cheaper fuel has more sulphur content meaning a greater deposit on ashes in the systems

Loz
please explain how a (cleaner burning fuel) leaves more ash i thought cheaper fuel has more sulphur content meaning a greater deposit on ashes in the systems
Its not a Cleaner burning fuel. it a fuel with cleaning agents added.

Road Trip.

Enter litres and price per litre and any optional extras such as location and payment method and the app does the rest.
thanks, is that the full or lite version ?

Back