Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Supermarket Fuel

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just had a service done at VW and when collecting I was asked if I use supermarket fuel, I said occasionally and when I questioned why, they just said VW advise you not to use it. Quite a bizarre conversation!

Is supermarket fuel that bad for the engine? Surely if anything went wrong they could not put the blame down to Asda diesel?

Why did they ask you, what did they see that led them to think
that ?

I´ve noticed lately that oil is now specified for each car brand.
Maybe VW will have their own filling stations soon.

It all comes from the same refineries
I was told that the fuel is the same but the additives are not the same. I was also told to avoid some supermarket fuels (named above) by a driver from the refinery at Grangemouth. I use Ultimate Diesel and Cali runs like a dream.

I would ignore any comments that supermarket fuel is a problem.
I know 1st hand that branded companies are blending to meet specifications from their cheapest molecules and most of this is simply bi-products of more lucrative processes. Then occasionally the blend needs a helping hand to meet octane ratings etc and into the frame also come additives that give you cleaner burn etc, hence the claim for better fuel economy and increased power. So for a start you never even get the same blend, it just meets the same spec.
But the fundamental finished blend is the same as sold on for supermarket chain supply.
I know there have been issues with supermarket supply from the pumps in terms of contaminated fuel but it's not a fault with the initial supply. That would have effected the branded company too.

Last edited:
I was talking to someone who worked in the fuel industry recently ( can’t remember who ) but they said that supermarkets buy their fuel cheaper because it’s not as fresh as the big names . Not as big a problem with diesel as petrol which has just gone to 20 % ethanol and goes off very quickly . I’ve always used super diesel because I think it will need less dpf activation on short journeys . No proof . I don’t think you get more mpg . Does anyone know more ? We also were recommended by an outboard mechanic to run our Yamaha 4 hp on superpetrol after we had starting problems . No problems since . We have a Tesco in Poole about 4 years ago where hundreds of cars filled with diesel and broke down very quickly needing very expensive repairs . Don’t know the outcome but think it will be online . So I try to avoid supermarket fuel .

All those stories are wild guesses imo. there has been reports from bad fuels by the big names also.
Think variation is the way to go!

I’ve always used super diesel because I think it will need less dpf activation on short journeys . No proof . I don’t think you get more mpg . Does anyone know more ? We also were
See my post above but on your last point there...
It may help slightly but not something you'll see refinery employees rushing out to buy.

Personally I would stay away from supermarket fuel I can’t say for certain it has a lower quality than some of the big brands but at the same time it does not have the best reputation for quality in some places.

It was my daughter who dose some long distances for work and kept regular checks on fuel consumption and running performance (again just an opinion) she noticed she was getting better fuel consumption from the leading brands and the car ran better.

Since then I have been using the so called performance fuels not sure if it makes a difference but given the price of the van and not giving VW any excuses if anything goes wrong I am happy to use it.

It’s possible the service department might see the evidence of poor fuel when changing the filters.

Could also say based on this the filter is doing its job regardless of the fuel used.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
It’s possible the service department might see the evidence of poor fuel when changing the filters.
Nah....sorry if any one tell you that ask them exactly what the tell tale signs are. `it's way more scientific than a dirty filter or not quite so dirty filter.
Could also say based on this the filter is doing its job regardless of the fuel used.
Thats better!!

Fuel problems are normally the fault of the individual garage and more specifically storage specific problems. Water condensation, surface water contamination and the like are all garage specific, the rest is just scare stories.

Nothing wrong with supermarket fuel it is all made to very strict standards.

...How do I know? I am a personal friend of the MD of the company that supplies it.... and this sort of scaremongering is par for the course in their business he says.

I wouldn’t buy supermarkets fuel again,
Filled up at Tesco in Dover in 2012 in my 180 dsg,100 miles into France the dpf light came on until I stopped and switched the ignition off,then it disappeared.
it constantly did this for the first 3 days??

completely lost confidence in the van .brand new van by the way. as the holiday went on and I fuelled up at the motorway services over and over it reduced the amount of times the light came on.
At the time I couldn’t understand why it was doing it at all????
so spoke to vw in the uk they just said it’s strange and if the second light comes on it must go to vw.
A few months later on,a long trip to the alps filled up at Tesco near home .it started doing it again on the way to Dover this time same issue same scenario.
That’s when I suspected the fuel.never used it since I never had a problem after that.

Well the same delivery tanker filled the tanks at our local Spar garage, with an Esso sign outside, and then went onto the local Tesco’s garage.

And what do people do when abroad?

As has been already said. Fuels are made to a set standard and VW engines are manufactured and tuned to that standard along with all the other engine manufacturers. Agreed, some supposedly premium fuels have additives but the supposed benefits are minimal if any. If they were beneficial then I am sure Vehicle/Engine Manufacturers would specify particular fuels, but they do not.
Most of the evidence is based on anecdotes but truly Evidence Based, no.

Well the same delivery tanker filled the tanks at our local Spar garage, with an Esso sign outside, and then went onto the local Tesco’s garage.

And what do people do when abroad?

As has been already said. Fuels are made to a set standard and VW engines are manufactured and tuned to that standard along with all the other engine manufacturers. Agreed, some supposedly premium fuels have additives but the supposed benefits are minimal if any. If they were beneficial then I am sure Vehicle/Engine Manufacturers would specify particular fuels, but they do not.
Most of the evidence is based on anecdotes but truly Evidence Based, no.
So did you actually sit and wait then follow it to Tesco?
What happened to me was maybe a coincidence but I doubt it?
How can supermarkets sell fuel cheaper I know Morrisons have there own tankers .

So did you actually sit and wait then follow it to Tesco?
What happened to me was maybe a coincidence but I doubt it?
How can supermarkets sell fuel cheaper I know Morrisons have there own tankers .
No. He was just disconnecting as I arrived to get diesel and left as I left, behind him. His next stop was Tesco, 8 miles away, and I had to follow as unable to overtake due to roadworks, and I was going there myself.

Supermarkets get volume discounts but also use fuel as a promotion/loss leader, not something your named local garage can do.

and this sort of scaremongering is par for the course in their business he says.
It's not always scaremongering, some people just love to gossip with there own slant on things and end up believing their own story.
But it seems most people here so far are well enough informed.If I told you what I do for a job I'd have to kill ya!! and seeing as thats difficult to do over the internet I can't say :D. OK I jest but it's one subject I'm confident with. Supermarket fuel is not the source of any problems with fuel that is bought from super markets unless it effects the branded supplier too.

Same tanker but could be different tanks used on the tanker, same as our heating oil delivery that carries different grades/red diesel etc.

Same tanker but could be different tanks used on the tanker, same as our heating oil delivery that carries different grades/red diesel etc.
Could be, but although a tanker might carry Diesel and Petrol in different tanks I very much doubt if they carry Esso Diesel and Tesco Diesel at the same time. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

I never thought supermarket fuel was any different it never crossed my mind until
From my own experience I came to the conclusion it may of been the Tesco fuel that caused my problem????
or maybe just a big coincidence???
Like a few have said above it may be the same fuel...
I’ll still stick to esso and texaco
Would you top up your oil with a Tesco’s own brand oil????
or stick to a good quality one.
Eg one thats specific to the vw.

If you want a better bang from your supermarket diesel just add cetane in the form of an additive like millers power diesel.
Most of these premium fuels just have more cetane but you pay way more for it.
Coincidentally it’s cetane additive that vw use as part of the workshop procedure for injector testing they get you to run a tankfull of fuel with the cetane added to clean them up.
I’ve used millers in all my diesels in every fill.

If you want a better bang from your supermarket diesel just add cetane in the form of an additive like millers power diesel.
Most of these premium fuels just have more cetane but you pay way more for it.
Coincidentally it’s cetane additive that vw use as part of the workshop procedure for injector testing they get you to run a tankfull of fuel with the cetane added to clean them up.
I’ve used millers in all my diesels in every fill.
Lucas do a cracking octane booster
I have used it in my defender a few time and you actually do notice a difference

I never thought supermarket fuel was any different it never crossed my mind until
From my own experience I came to the conclusion it may of been the Tesco fuel that caused my problem????
or maybe just a big coincidence???
Like a few have said above it may be the same fuel...
I’ll still stick to esso and texaco
Would you top up your oil with a Tesco’s own brand oil????
or stick to a good quality one.
Eg one thats specific to the vw.
Your Handbook states which oil to use with a specific standard for particular engines, so as long as the oil met the VW standard, yes. It was probably made in the same facility and just packaged differently.

Could be, but although a tanker might carry Diesel and Petrol in different tanks I very much doubt if they carry Esso Diesel and Tesco Diesel at the same time. Could be wrong but I doubt it.
I have a feeling that Esso supply all Tesco diesel, and all franchise Esso stations which have branded shops have Tesco Express. If you see a Tesco tanker, it contains Esso fuel. I do not know whether or not a Tesco tanker would supply an Esso station.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Back