Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EU Travel advice

If you have 100 customers in a restaurant with the question "ham or tuna butties" and then 52 people said Ham, would you then just force ham down the 48 faces who wanted tuna even if they absolutely despised ham. I feel you are looking at things very much in black or white, and with such a massive decision, you simply cannot do that as it affects everybody in the UK. Currently with Mays deal however, we are ALL getting served butties with a surprise filling, which wasnt even on the menu! :eek:.
They did in Wales.

In actual EU travel advice:

The EU will keep the channel tunnel open for three months after a no deal Brexit to allow a renegotiation of the Treaty of Canterbury that permits the cross-border rail service to run. The European commission said the move would be conditional on the U.K. “maintaining safety standards identical to EU requirements”. In a statement it said:

This will ensure the protection of rail-passengers, the safety of citizens and will avoid major disruptions of cross-border rail operations and shuttle services after the UK’s withdrawal.

Ref: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-1051_en.htm?locale=en
(edit - add reference)

Snip:

Politicians and Remainers should feel ashamed at the way they have tried to stop/change and hinder the democratic wish of the British people.

Going back, it was an error not to have the vote at a two thirds majority, especially on a subject that was extremely decisive and which affects so many people.

But we must move on and forward and we need to do it immediately...

I voted to remain. I was very disappointed with the result of the referendum, but have said and done nothing to obstruct the result of the vote.

As a remainer I object severely to you stating that I should feel 'ashamed at the way I have tried to stop/change and hinder the democratic wish of the British people.' I have said and done nothing of the sort.

In fact I have rarely spoken about my views to anyone except my wife.

Please do not make unfounded accusations or generalise about an issue as great as this one.

Alan

I voted to remain. I was very disappointed with the result of the referendum, but have said and done nothing to obstruct the result of the vote.

As a remainer I object severely to you stating that I should feel 'ashamed at the way I have tried to stop/change and hinder the democratic wish of the British people.' I have said and done nothing of the sort.

In fact I have rarely spoken about my views to anyone except my wife.

Please do not make unfounded accusations or generalise about an issue as great as this one.

Alan

I understand why you feel a bit narked Alan (in general I mean, I'm not having a go at anyone on this forum).

The trouble is, like all revolutions, the narrative has been captured by the revolutionaries (ERG in the Cons party, and the minority who were always strongly anti-EU in the wider population). And equally inevitably it's spawned a counter-revolution, for whom nothing but tearing up the 'corrupt' referendum result will suffice.

Both the revolutionaries and counter-revolutionaries both claim unique insight into "what the issue is all about" and "what people voted for" (/against). And their versions of revealed truth become ever more ossified and history is re-written to fit them.

And anyone who dares to suggest anything that doesn't conform to the new orthodoxies on both sides are accused of "betraying the people" (= betraying the 'majority' if you're a Bre*iteer, or = selling young people down the river, if you're a Fundamentalist Remainer).

The real majority - that is, people who voted one way or the other in 2016 because they were forced to choose in a false dichotomy, but would have much rather their government concerned itself with what they feel are more important issues than which particular bunch of politicians gets to decide what shape bananas should be - have been left feeling stigmatised by the revolutionaries, or the counter-revolutionaries, or both.

One little detail to note. The GB sticker (you know oval white sticker with "GB" on it) must be 98 mm high. Some people use the smaller stickers - French and Italian motorbike cops love to collar these for an on the spot fine. :(

One little detail to note. The GB sticker (you know oval white sticker with "GB" on it) must be 98 mm high. Some people use the smaller stickers - French and Italian motorbike cops love to collar these for an on the spot fine. :(
98mm ?

What’s that in feet and inches :headbang

There are 25.4 mm per inch so the gives 3.858267717 inches. Hope you have a good ruler :cheers.

Majority UK public voted to Leave based on minimal info and majority of Parliament want to Remain based on a bit more info and at least get a 'half way house' deal. At least with the Scottish Indy referendum the SNP produced a 600 page doc to base decision on with the stumbling blocks of currency and ironically being scared into believing we'd be out of EU in an instant and wouldn't be allowed back in unless we accepted Euro. That didn't put off Scottish fishermen as they wanted out of EU at same time. The driving permit issue of this thread along with a myriad of other issues is not Europe's fault, it's a case of UK Parliament deciding what it wants to do in next few weeks! It looks like the withdrawal agreement won't be re-negotiated and even then might not be voted in, and so by default we leave on 29th March with various temporary arrangements suddenly coming into place re borders, rules, permits, tariffs etc. I don't envy the civil servants trying to sort it out although Farage doesn't have a good word to say about our own, no surprise there. I wanted to Remain as can't think of any scary EU rules that have bothered me, and in Scotland we have benefited from an influx of young hard-working folk which has reversed de-population in recent years. I can see that there might be different pressures elsewhere in UK, surely it wasn't just the tabloids drum-beating? Once there is some clarity, things will get sorted out one way or another although I can't see how Brexit will help solve the bigger issues of inequality and homelessness. Already we have the middle class problem of more expensive Cali and parts, will they get cheaper or more expensive to run? Can we travel and live/work in Europe if we want to as easily? Ex pats (British migrants) certainly won't get the same health benefits and may return to UK NHS which will have less Euro staff to help run it. Will our food have traveled even further to reach our plates or perhaps our home grown food industry will adapt quite quickly and we shop local for local produce? There will be many unforeseen consequences good and bad and that's the only thing any of us can be certain about just now.

I love it.
The number of members that click “ Disagree “ on a post that Don’t have the courage of their convictions to explain why they Disagree.
Maybe those that just click and don’t post to explain don’t have any opinions and just follow the crowd and hope to remain anonymous.:mute

Just picked this up from my twitter account. Might be worth a look if you plan on travelling after 29th March - go to:
www.gov.uk/euexitdriving
or if you have a twitter account:
https://twitter.com/transportgovuk/status/1091313442160545792?s=21
I've been living in Europe since 1974 and have operated under border controls, passport checks at borders, proof of insurance, funny money etc, thus it 's not that scary. What is scary is the day-to-day divine comedy in Parliament. Appalling. Can't wait for David Davies and Dominic Raab's memoirs to be published. Mrs May has certainly changed many minds to never hire a woman!

Purchased the IDP today, at PO in Sherwood, Nottingham, £5.50 + £6.00 for photos. The first one they had issued.
A word of warning as i am over 70yrs, my driving licence expires in September of this year, so does the IDP as only valid for 3yrs or life of driving licence.
If you don’t have a valid UK license I can’t see the IDP being valid I’m afraid.

But it expires in September. If you don’t renew it I can’t see the IDP being valid.
Is that not the question you were asking?

i will renew the licence and IDP in September, i don't see a problem !!!!!!!
Unfortunately when you reach the magic age of 70 you have to renew your licence every 3 yrs

According to Uk.Gov , AA etc: you need 2 IDPs if you intend to drive to Spain or Lichenstein , a 1968 IDP for France and a 1949 IDP for Spain etc:.

According to Uk.Gov , AA etc: you need 2 IDPs if you intend to drive to Spain or Lichenstein , a 1968 IDP for France and a 1949 IDP for Spain etc:.

3 types if Liechtenstein as it needs 1926
  • 1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein
  • 1949 permit to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus
  • 1968 permit to drive in all other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland
Copied from https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Of course all visitors to Europe from the States, Aussie, NZ etc carry at least three ID licences, can't be too careful.

If you look around a few foreign travel websites (eg for Australians coming on holiday to Europe) you'll see that in practice an IDP is rarely requested, either when hiring a car or at a police check.

HOWEVER there are quite a few stories of foreign drivers getting fined for not having an IDP, particularly in Italy. Are they accurate? Who knows.

On the other hand, Germany does not require an IDP at all.
https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/EN/A...ign-driving-licences-in-germany.html?nn=12830

All set (hopefully)!
2eda96693a762d5302723d3cfaaf49a8.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Back