Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Euro trip - a few questions...

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Getting nearer to our month in Spain and France (all of June) and a couple of possible purchase items have come up.

1) Awning - we have a small pop up Quecha tent which is usually fine but wondered if we might "need" a proper awning (we have the rollup VW one). The dog is staying at home in kennels so it's me, the wife and two young kids. We're thinking more about eating outside on wet days and storage of stuff like the baby seat and the likely boatload of kit in the boot. Are they easy to attach/detach and do they take up much room? Leaning towards the as yet un-reviewed Vango Airbeam Kela without poles.

2) A bike - I absolutely hate bike racks. Yes it's weird but there you go. I think we might take the wife's MTB (fits us both) more for nipping out to get stuff than hardcore cycling. Is is worth considering a bike bag or should we get a rack? VW one is just too expensive for a £600 bike so possibly the Thule one? We'll have roof bars for the surfboards so could fit our Thule bike rack (we have two) but the van would then be about 10ft high!

3) 3G/Wifi - we absolutely MUST keep connected for work. Don't plan on doing much but we need to be there in case anything goes wrong (we run a PR company). Do we get a Spanish/French SIM or anything else? Wifi/Mifi would be handy to keep phones connected too - any hints?

4) Spanish. I'm pretty competent at French but not at Spanish. Any hints on crash courses?!

Cheers all!

Dos grande Cerveza por favor. Works in almost all circumstances :cool:

If you are heading for Portugal, try Portuguese; most of the locals speak it. In Northern West Spain and Catalonia, some of the locals will ignore you if you speak pidgin Spanish. They'll be Basque or Catalan; and generally hate the Spanish. English works most places.

Regarding awnings i have just bought and recieved an Outwell Country Road for £275 from family tents and is excellent quality. I have used Outwell awnings in the past and i personally think they are good value.
Regarding bike racks i have the VW rack on my California but in the past i had a T5 Caravelle and i bought an Atera bike rack from roofbox.co.uk and i consider the Atera rack better than the VW one, it is also cheaper. The rack where the bikes sit is lower and better for access and the fixings for the wheels are much better.
Hope this helps.

Awning decision depends entirely on how long you will be staying in one place. For me, it is a big hassle setting up and taking down even a Kyham awning. I thought they were the answer, but for me 'no', unless I was staying a week in one place.

wilupo7 said:
Awning decision depends entirely on how long you will be staying in one place. For me, it is a big hassle setting up and taking down even a Kyham awning. I thought they were the answer, but for me 'no', unless I was staying a week in one place.

Yup +1

Cheers all, useful suggestions!

Not sure how long we will stay in each location but I doubt it will be more than a week.

Seen those Atera racks; they do look pretty good. I guess we could use it back here but I currently find I can get two bikes in the back (front wheels off) no problem. Of course there's not s lot of room left so not practical for camping!

The Atera rack is the one I've ordered, having spent far too much time contemplating what is the best option for us; plus we didnt want atailgate mounted option. Also gives me some flexibility to transfer the bike rack to another vehicle with tow bar in future if needed.

You wont be disappointed with the Atera...it's the best kit I have purchased for the Cali

Okay; decided probably a no on the awning and we might leave the bike at home; we can always run to shops (yes we are weird!) or hire a bike.

Any hints on booking sites? I've joined the CCC and you can book via them but not sure if this is the best option? I've noticed Spanish sites are MUCH more expensive than French ones too!

If you are going outside of high season Matt get the ACSI card as Stu says, you will save alot of money.
If you do decide to book direct I normally check both the C&CC prices against the direct prices on the campsite as some sites now charge a booking fee even if you are staying for just one night and the club prices will normally be all inclusive so worth checking all options before you book.
It is also worth taking into account the poor exchange rate at the moment.

KernowLad said:
Getting nearer to our month in Spain and France (all of June) and a couple of possible purchase items have come up.

1) Awning - we have a small pop up Quecha tent which is usually fine but wondered if we might "need" a proper awning (we have the rollup VW one). The dog is staying at home in kennels so it's me, the wife and two young kids. We're thinking more about eating outside on wet days and storage of stuff like the baby seat and the likely boatload of kit in the boot. Are they easy to attach/detach and do they take up much room? Leaning towards the as yet un-reviewed Vango Airbeam Kela without poles.

2) A bike - I absolutely hate bike racks. Yes it's weird but there you go. I think we might take the wife's MTB (fits us both) more for nipping out to get stuff than hardcore cycling. Is is worth considering a bike bag or should we get a rack? VW one is just too expensive for a £600 bike so possibly the Thule one? We'll have roof bars for the surfboards so could fit our Thule bike rack (we have two) but the van would then be about 10ft high!

3) 3G/Wifi - we absolutely MUST keep connected for work. Don't plan on doing much but we need to be there in case anything goes wrong (we run a PR company). Do we get a Spanish/French SIM or anything else? Wifi/Mifi would be handy to keep phones connected too - any hints?

4) Spanish. I'm pretty competent at French but not at Spanish. Any hints on crash courses?!

Cheers all!

1 - I bought (and used once only) an Outwell Country Road. Unless I would be in one place for a week, I would not use this. It's really big and takes up a load of luggage space. I have awning sides/front panel etc that fits in the chair storage area.

2 - If I'm not specifically going on holiday to cycle, I use a folder that fits in the boot space. I bought a good spec Dahon one, but you can get a workmanlike one for quite low money.

3 - Buy a pre-loaded data sim from the country you intend to use it in. You can get these beforehand on eBay, or buy them in every town. If you want just one data account, buy a cheap Wifi broadcast type device. I use one for up to 4 devices from the same SIM. Failing this hang about round every McDonalds on the way.

4 - Try Michel Thomas. Spanish is really easy to learn as the grammar is much more straighforward. Failing that, just shout.

Cheers Tim! Currently two hours into the Michel course; impressed !

Only three weeks away now - YIKES!!! :shocked

Okay we live nowhere near a dealer or even camping shop and I need a few bits. Can anyone recommend anywhere on-line to get (or answer my silly question!)

1) Spare bulb kit (seen some on ebay but unsure of quality)
2) Do we have a warning triangle in our First Aid kit (or anywhere else?!). I can't remember!
3) I think we have plenty of hi vis jackets
4) Headlamp conversion sticker things - anywhere good for these?
5) Are Britanny Ferries likely to give us a GB sticker?!
6) Anywhere good for a pair of self breathalyser kits?!

Errrmmm -thinks that it for now!

frigorifix said:
Anywhere good for a pair of self breathalyser kits?!

For France, it's no longer necessary...

I heard they weren't needed then someone else said they still were - one less thing to get! Cheers!

Re: Mifi

I bought a Huawei E5331 from Three for Mifi in the van. It came with a month of data, and I also bought a 12 month (12gb) PAYG SIM from Three so I don't have to faff with monthly topups. It is not the all singing all dancing model, but it works well and my phone, ipad & laptop all connect without any problems.

We are also off to France this summer, and I hope that I can just pick up a 30 day French data SIM and slot it in. If anyone else has done this, please let me know if that is a viable solution.

'Une carte de SIM, s'il vous plait ...'

Simon

We definitely need wifi but the campsites I've booked all have it - but a mobile "solution" would be good too as we'll definitely need to make calls on the move as well as pick up emails.

KernowLad said:
frigorifix said:
Anywhere good for a pair of self breathalyser kits?!

For France, it's no longer necessary...

I heard they weren't needed then someone else said they still were - one less thing to get! Cheers!

In a motorcycle mag I read this week, they recommend still carrying a breathalyser kit as it is still required although they are not prosecuting Gendarmes will ask for it and unless your French is really good arguing with them is a waste of time, you may as well spend a few Euros an be done with it.

KernowLad said:
In a motorcycle mag I read this week, they recommend still carrying a breathalyser kit as it is still required although they are not prosecuting Gendarmes will ask for it and unless your French is really good arguing with them is a waste of time, you may as well spend a few Euros an be done with it.
Yes, seen the same advice in a number of publications.

You will need 2 red warning triangles for Spain :eek: , one for in front of the vehicle and one behind (not joking!)
I got my breathalyser kits from Ebay along with the headlamp convertors cost £7.23 inc postage.
The emergency bulb kits are available locally for about £5.

Hubert

Bulb kit and breathalysers ordered.

Do our vans have a triangle (in fact, where is the toolkit?)? I can borrow one from the car.

Almost there I think!

Dont leave the bikes at home.
We did that last year on our two week trip around France and really regretted it. We found a lot of the camp sites were outside towns and small villages and walking every where was a right pain in the bum. Also most the hire bikes were awful.

Plus the bike gives you a nice break from the van and just opens places up more.

Got the VW rack the other day. Its pricey, but very well made and the bikes a re out the way sitting on the tailgate.

Did the VW rack come will all the necessary securing straps ?

Back