Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Euro trip - a few questions...

ymfb said:
Did the VW rack come will all the necessary securing straps ?

Yes, plus its easy to fit and folds up nicely when not in use

I have a set in the van, but don't stick them on.
Just dip the headlamps with the toggle switch. Never been stopped so far ;)

sue.h said:
yes 3 weeks for us too, diito the yikes

what does any do for headlamp deflectors please?

Soul; we run a lot so happy to run to facilities if needed. Yes that is a bit weird! A bit sad but my bike is also pretty valuable; I don't want to worry about it!

Just taking surfboards.

Dibz; cheers!

sue.h said:
yes 3 weeks for us too, diito the yikes

what does any do for headlamp deflectors please?

I've just ordered a set and will use them .. I know most get away with it and the UK police are easy going compared to the French ,so I'm taking no chances..
When I lived in south of France with UK plates car we did get fined Afew times .

The other useful thing is a map! We tried a trip with just sat nav but found we lost track of the big picture. Pick up a Michelin road atlas from a larger French supermarket - when we bought ours there were two versions, but the cheaper was fine.

Also, be aware that just very occasionally priority to the right still applies - mainly in little towns with Market squares where the traffic may join the flow from the side, but also watch out when you approach a Y junction from one of the wings of the Y.

Final thought - disable your speed trap warnings on your sat nav - illegal in France and possibly in Spain.

KernowLad said:
Soul; we run a lot so happy to run to facilities if needed. Yes that is a bit weird! A bit sad but my bike is also pretty valuable; I don't want to worry about it!

Just taking surfboards.

Dibz; cheers!

You need one of these.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370678532.348889.jpg

A week has passed.

The ferry was utterly brilliant; superb facilities, great food inthr restaurant.

We had three days of sunshine, albeit coolish at a stunning campsite near Llanes in Northern Spain. Did a trip to the mountains and saw snowy peaks from 1300m. The weather then turned and we headed East, stopping at Noja. Three days of storms sapped our enthusiasm a little but we are now in a gorgeous but pricey campsite near Bidart. The sun is out, the surf is building and the restaurant here is superb.

There are also two other California's here; one a basic French spec Fresco, the other a German white model with white cupboards, etc; looms pretty good.

Ours has been superb. Really can't fault it for living and driving in.

Anyway update over!

KernowLad said:
A week has passed.

The ferry was utterly brilliant; superb facilities, great food inthr restaurant.

We had three days of sunshine, albeit coolish at a stunning campsite near Llanes in Northern Spain. Did a trip to the mountains and saw snowy peaks from 1300m. The weather then turned and we headed East, stopping at Noja. Three days of storms sapped our enthusiasm a little but we are now in a gorgeous but pricey campsite near Bidart. The sun is out, the surf is building and the restaurant here is superb.

There are also two other California's here; one a basic French spec Fresco, the other a German white model with white cupboards, etc; looms pretty good.

Ours has been superb. Really can't fault it for living and driving in.

Anyway update over!

The one with the white cupboards is a California Edition.

Look nice - not sure how long the white would last!

James

Yep it's an edition model; had a good chat with the owners! Seems all cosmetic but looks good, especially the two tone roof! As you say though, white cupboards do take a battering.

They have a Gybe awning which looks good too.

Lush weather now, waves have arrived, all is good. Nice being able to speak the language too (my Spanish is poor!).

KernowLad said:
Yep it's an edition model; had a good chat with the owners! Seems all cosmetic but looks good, especially the two tone roof! As you say though, white cupboards do take a battering.

They have a Gybe awning which looks good too.

Lush weather now, waves have arrived, all is good. Nice being able to speak the language too (my Spanish is poor!).

There's a Edition Beach as well and Panel Vans - Panel Vans bit like a Sportline :0

Am the proud owner of a Vango Aibeam awning and love it!

TBH I think I'd have the Airbeam regardless of cost. The Gybe was nice looking but had gaping holes either side and took ages to put up!

Just driven from near Biarritz to Provence; slightly un-scheduled but the weather in SW France is rough from Monday but great here; 31 degrees at 7pm! Big drive but the van was ace as usual!

Thirsty doing 81 most of the way with two boards on the roof (25mpg or less) and the toll roads cost a chunk but its lovely here!

KernowLad said:
TBH I think I'd have the Airbeam regardless of cost. The Gybe was nice looking but had gaping holes either side and took ages to put up!

Just driven from near Biarritz to Provence; slightly un-scheduled but the weather in SW France is rough from Monday but great here; 31 degrees at 7pm! Big drive but the van was ace as usual!

Thirsty doing 81 most of the way with two boards on the roof (25mpg or less) and the toll roads cost a chunk but its lovely here!
At Bagneres de Bigorre at present, had one rainy day in six, 32c today, going up Col de Tourmalet tomorrow, then on to your way, Maulancee, started at Larun, been here 12 days and had three rainy days but warm, can't complain at that, tour finishes here on the 9th stage, so lots going on, did the Col devAspin on Wednesday and they're filling all the pothole in, although it isn't actually using thevAspin.

I did 80s most of the way down from Calais and got 34average, which I thought was ok..

Hope your trip goes well.

Kevin

Really warm here; spent yesterday swimming and diving into a big river.

Our Sunn Gas outdoor cooker has been a godsend as has the satnav.

400 miles clocked up yesterday as we drove from Ardeche to near Pau. Stopped for a dip in the Med enroute. Much cooler here but with friends for a few days; the camper view is now the snow topped Pyrenees. Back to the coast soon for more surfing.

Back