Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Euro Tunnel hints and tips please..

Many of the tolls in France on junction exits are now unmanned meaning that you have to use a credit card or chuck cash into a machine. With a right-hand drive vehicle, this is not so easy, particularly if you do not have a passenger. Even with a passenger, you need to maneuver close enough to the machine to enable access. The slots on these are aligned for cars or lorries and are often either too high or too low for a passenger leaning out of the van window.

Having a tag means you whisk through without stopping. It just makes things easier which is what we want when away.

We had two Sanef (now Emovis) tags (one for France and another for Spain and Portugal) but changed them for the APRR one as this is cheaper and covers all three countries plus Italy in one tag. It also covers some car parks too.

Alan
I like the idea of only one tag.

Yes, it is now called Emovis.
Seem to be able to get a discount on the fee via Eurotunnel

I have a tag and it works well. The only issue is that there seems to be delay in recognising the tag which means that the “rolling 30kmh” lane on the left of the French toll plazas can get blocked by a Cali-sized object.
This may be because I just hold it up in the blacked out area by the rear view mirror but even when it was fixed there it seemed to delay sometimes, but it allows me to use it in different cars without an issue.
I just use the normal lanes with an orange T for Telepeage.
I have not gone through with a roofrack or roof box on so have not had to have a discussion with them yet about which charging class the automatic sensor is applying, but I understand you can challenge and get it retrospectively applied as less than 2m for the base vehicle.
You can buy spare tag holders to fix to different vehicles it saves holding it. When I had only one holder on the windscreen and 2 tags I tried holding one after crossing the border but made a mess of it resulting in having to take a ticket after talking to the machine with a helpful lady on the end. I then fixed it on the screen and when I left the motorway it worked and I was billed correctly as I had entered at the start of the toil area not sure it would have been OK if I was part way down the motorway.

I like the idea of only one tag.
We ended up with three in the glove box, 2 x Sanef and a BroBizz for Scandinavia.

Reducing this to two made sense.

Alan

You can buy spare tag holders to fix to different vehicles it saves holding it. When I had only one holder on the windscreen and 2 tags I tried holding one after crossing the border but made a mess of it resulting in having to take a ticket after talking to the machine with a helpful lady on the end. I then fixed it on the screen and when I left the motorway it worked and I was billed correctly as I had entered at the start of the toil area not sure it would have been OK if I was partway down the motorway.
They usually come with 2 self-adhesive screen brackets. We have one on each of our vehicles plus some spares now. I just have to remember to move the tag across.

It is important that the tag is positioned behind the rear view mirror in the blacked out area. Partly this area is always kept clear of any metallic windscreen treatment (such as heater elements or coatings), but also, I suspect, the sensor on the barrier is quite directional.

Alan

Having a tag means you whisk through without stopping. It just makes things easier which is what we want when away.
I've trained Ben so I can overshoot the toll booth window, he opens the sliding window in the rear, hands over the cash and asks the cashier for treats. His best yet was at a vignette booth on the Bulgaria/Romania border. In return for a 7 Euro / 30 day Romania highway vignette he managed to procure a 200g bar of chocolate, and then had the temerity to ask for, and receive, one for his brother too.

They usually come with 2 self-adhesive screen brackets. We have one on each of our vehicles plus some spares now. I just have to remember to move the tag across.

It is important that the tag is positioned behind the rear view mirror in the blacked out area. Partly this area is always kept clear of any metallic windscreen treatment (such as heater elements or coatings), but also, I suspect, the sensor on the barrier is quite directional.

Alan
When I first had a Spanish tag with my car it worked while sitting in the glove box.

Both our tags were renewed this year and are different design and have different fitting to the old ones. Could not get old fitting off. We fixed the new tags with the mirror in my position then found that we could not move the mirror to my husband position so had to do a bit of re-fixing but all works OK now. My Spanish tag expired in December and I did not notice so we left Spain without renewing it. I get mine via my bank who phoned me in January to say our new one had arrived but we had to drive though Spain without one. Really annoying there seems to be 3 toil paying places between Pamplona and Zaragoza. Glad I have my tag now.

I don’t see the point of the tag unless you live there.
I see the 1-2 minute convenience. But on a 800 miles journey you may hit about 7ish tolls, holding you up about 15 mins on the entire journey time. It’s so easy to swipe your credit card on a California because you can move from the drivers chair to the passenger chair easily, unlike a car or do as I do and get my passenger to do it.

Hiring out a tag for 12 months which you will use for one trip...???
Honestly, pocket the pounds and buy a nice bottle of wine with the money when you arrive at your destination :thumb
Yes, i agree there, we do about 6000kms in france each year and i´ve never had the need for one,
I'm always the first out of the starting blocks at the F1 plaza de péage :Stig
credit card is the quickest.

Tried that didn’t work....as the wife woke up and shouted at me for sitting on her lap.

Tag for us is worth every Penny so she can kip and I can have a few hour of peaceful driving.

I don’t see the point of the tag unless you live there.
I see the 1-2 minute convenience. But on a 800 miles journey you may hit about 7ish tolls, holding you up about 15 mins on the entire journey time. It’s so easy to swipe your credit card on a California because you can move from the drivers chair to the passenger chair easily, unlike a car or do as I do and get my passenger to do it.

Hiring out a tag for 12 months which you will use for one trip...???
Honestly, pocket the pounds and buy a nice bottle of wine with the money when you arrive at your destination :thumb

Yes, i agree there, we do about 6000kms in france each year and i´ve never had the need for one,
I'm always the first out of the starting blocks at the F1 plaza de péage :Stig
credit card is the quickest.

Snap.
The first stop is to collect ticket. Which takes all of about 10 seconds.
The second, which could be 80+ miles away is to insert ticket and card. Then remove card...?
Not sure what all the fuss is about.
Child’s play...

Snap.
The first stop is to collect ticket. Which takes all of about 10 seconds.
The second, which could be 80+ miles away is to insert ticket and card. Then remove card...?
Not sure what all the fuss is about.
Child’s play...
I can do it in 3. Lol.
Who stops. 2m Lane, slow to 30Km then peddle to the floor. Worth every cent of the 10 Euros.:Stig:thumb

Its worth the 10 euros a year just to save on the arguments re:
1. whether you are close enough to the machine
2. which lane to queue in
3. do I lean over or wake her

I reckon last time we went to Spain in August it saved more like an hour each way, some of the toll queues were horrendous but the tag ones were far shorter & moved much much quicker. Thats the equivalent of an extra 10mph over the journey.

Who stops. 2m Lane, slow to 30Km then peddle to the floor. Worth every cent of the 10 Euros.:Stig:thumb
And then i pass you by at 145kmh within 500metres waiting to be a wingman on a french
space doing 160 :Stig:Stig:Stig the only way to go.

And that ain´t no fairy tail, you won't catch me
trickling along filling a f++kn spreadsheet in about my
fuel consumption.
Would in the RX8.:thumb

What’s a spreadsheet? Last used one in 2014 and it wasn’t about fuel.

Do not forget that if you have a gas bottle you will have to be checked which may take longer, I have only crossed with a car so can not help with more info on that.

Hi, what's involved with the gas bottle check? At what point do you need to declare it? Have they ever taken issue with a 907? Do you have to declare the smaller CV canisters too?

Thanks

Hi,
When I did UK > France with Eurotunnel 2 months ago in our Ocean they asked me about the gas bottle and when I said everything was turned off on the main bottle and that the spare was sealed tight they were happy, and no physical checks.
Have only been through once so not sure yet if that is a consistent approach.

Hi,
When I did UK > France with Eurotunnel 2 months ago in our Ocean they asked me about the gas bottle and when I said everything was turned off on the main bottle and that the spare was sealed tight they were happy, and no physical checks.
Have only been through once so not sure yet if that is a consistent approach.
I said the same .....but they checked anyway.
Pulled us out of the Q just after the flexi plus building. I opened the rear door removed gas cover they had a quick look and let us rejoin , all within 60 seconds so no big deal.

Hello

We are planning to travel with a 4yr old to France this summer from 21st June and heading back 7th July.

Questions:
1. From a Eurotunnel perspective - is this off peak or would there be any benefit in investing in a flexi plus ticket?
2. Any best times to travel / cross logistically, we are in Leeds so got 5 hours to Folkstone, should we travel from home and get as far as we can into France in one slog or pace ourselves with travel to Folkstone and stay there one night???
3. How flexible is the standard ticket - can we turn up earlier than the time and try for an earlier crossing - or alternatively if we end up being late can we get on another crossing.

Thanks

Not read all replies but we've used tunnel a few times and best way for us is to leave Scotland mid - late morning planning to go round London after 8pm, sleep downstairs in van in Tunnel car park 10.00 pm to about 4.00 am and get very early crossing about 5.30. Stop somewhere for a mid morning nap/refreshment and then drive another few hours south. We're booked 22nd June to head for Provence :) We've normally got the standard ticket and think can use it to get on earlier if space but might be an issue if late? We usually return to UK as late as possible in the day to avoid the downer of the much busier roads.

PS used Emovis tag last 3 trips, very handy so far.

Not read all replies but we've used tunnel a few times and best way for us is to leave Scotland mid - late morning planning to go round London after 8pm, sleep downstairs in van in Tunnel car park 10.00 pm to about 4.00 am and get very early crossing about 5.30. Stop somewhere for a mid morning nap/refreshment and then drive another few hours south. We're booked 22nd June to head for Provence :) We've normally got the standard ticket and think can use it to get on earlier if space but might be an issue if late? We usually return to UK as late as possible in the day to avoid the downer of the much busier roads.

PS used Emovis tag last 3 trips, very handy so far.
Thanks,

Just bought the tag today from the French site recommend on this thread.

Not sure that sleeping in tunnel carpark is for us as we have a 4yr old so would prefer us all to be asleep at night and awake at day rather than needing sleep naps during the day. Plus he sleeps up top and I really can't sleep well if he is in with us.

But could maybe drive back up north late on way home as boy can get put in his bed on arrival.

Plus he sleeps up top and I really can't sleep well if he is in with us.

Nothing to stop you putting the roof up in the carpark.

We always book a later train than we need & without fail get given the option of an earlier one - sometimes at a cost if its closer to peak time, but the cost is only ever the difference you would have paid if you had booked that crossing in the first place.

If you are at the terminal & there is a train with space on it, it is in their interests to get you on it. That way they still have a chance of someone else using your prebooked space later in the day.

Look into the Hull Zeebrugge ferry, it's very civilized.
Board in the evening, sleep on the ferry, arrive early in the morning refreshed.

Back